Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving a Dishwasher

• 26-04-2007 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44

Hi there,
    In my existing kitchen my dishwasher is positioned just beside my sink, i.e. beside the plumbing. I am looking to fit a new kitchen and have considered moving the dishwsher to another area in the kitchen. Basically this will involve running a longer pipe from the plumbing to the dishwasher below the new units. It will also mean connecting a longer pipe onto the dishwasher waste outlet and running this under the new units back into the plumbing outlet.
    My question is whether this is really wise. Would the dishwasher be powerful enough to pump the waste water the extra distance to the waste outlet and would it also be strong enough to pump it upwards from the floor where it is running across into the outlet.
    Am I looking at a problem of a lot of waste water sitting in the pipe and the dishwasher stinking every time I open it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If the job is done correctly, there should be a minimum of trouble.
    You will have to use a drain pipe with a fall (to allow run-off) and this will have to start high up near the disk-washer, and drop lower at the sink/drain.
    Depending on how the system is installed at the moment, you may need to fit another Y or T piece in the outlet pipe.
    At the dish-washer end, you should consider installing a U-bend to prevent smells etc. If you have to put a 90-degree bend in the outlet pipe to get around a corner, best have the largest amount of fall on the dish-washer side, and then less of a fall on the outlet/sink side. This will help to drain the pipe quickly and result in the least amount of back pressure - not that there should be much anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,239 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I did a pretty similiar job ( plumbed in a condensing dryer) which was about 12 foot from the washing machine.
    I used 40mm pipes as there were two applicances draining.
    fitted ubends at each applicance and started the furthest pipe at a height of about 2 foot.
    Havent had any problems at all.
    Cutting sections out of the bak of the cabinets can be a bit of a pain in the ass, though should be eaier for you in a brand new kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 KILRB

Thanks guys. I suppose one thing that concerns me is that the drainage pipe will really have to travel under the new units as these will be installed against the wall. This means there won't be a fall all the way to the outlet. Basically the pipe will fall from the dishwasher to the floor, travel to the plumbing outlet under the sink where it will have to be raised up again about 15 inches to reach it.
    Do you still think this is feasible?

You definitely need a fall.
    The back of your units more than likely will not go all the way back to the sides of the unit.
    In my case there was about 3/4 inches of extra space.
    I cut sections of this out to allow the pipe to pass through and still get the units against the wall...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I agree. If you don't put in a fall, you're going to get a blocked/smelly pipe in no-time. All that grease and food will solidify where it sits in the pipe.

Hang on - did I read this correctly...
    "where it will have to be raised up again about 15 inches to reach it."
    - eek! no, that will just create a huge U-bend under your sink/units... You don't want that!

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote:
    You definitely need a fall.
    The back of your units more than likely will not go all the way back to the sides of the unit.
    In my case there was about 3/4 inches of extra space.
    I cut sections of this out to allow the pipe to pass through and still get the units against the wall...

What exactly do you mean buy this, is it that the sides of the units go all the way to the wall but the back of them sits about 3/4 inch on front of that, i.e. I could saw a bit off the sides of the units to allow the pipe through and use them for balancing the pipe and managing the fall while I'm at it. Tricky but sounds good to me.

KILRB wrote:
    What exactly do you mean buy this, is it that the sides of the units go all the way to the wall but the back of them sits about 3/4 inch on front of that, i.e. I could saw a bit off the sides of the units to allow the pipe through and use them for balancing the pipe and managing the fall while I'm at it. Tricky but sounds good to me.
    Thats it exactly.
    Just make sure you fix the pipe first, I had great fun cutting out the sides and then realising I didnt have enough of a fall and having to recut them..not much fun moving a fridge/freezer press on your own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

We moved the dishwasher to be beside the sink. From my own female perspective (no women's libbers in my house) I always lightly rinse off the plates, etc before I put them in the dishwasher and can then just put the dripping delph into the dishwasher beside me without trailing water across the kitchen floor. I hate half eaten dinners being put into the diswasher... :mad:

Just my own thoughts...

D

Actually you are right. I was getting very caught up making the space but actually the practicality of having it beside the sink is great. Perhaps it is best leave it where it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

As I said, I'd leave it where it is. I'd concentrate on designing the kitchen to have the units for the delph, etc near the dishwasher so it takes less time put stuff away, food cupboards near the cooker,etc...

Also, I would suggest you try to incorporate a tall unit into your plan to use as a cupboard to put sweeping brushes, ironing board, mop bucket,etc into (if you don't have a cupboard elsewhere already). Just keeps the place neater and does'nt need to be a very wide cupboard (think ours was only 30cm wide). We also had a shelf in ours at the top for the iron, food processor, etc. A lot of people overlook this.

D

• Advertisement
Advertisement