Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunn bikes?

Options
  • 26-04-2007 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

Right, my bike went walkies last week, so i've finally decided its time i got a brand spankin new one (bought last one 8yrs ago). Started looking around today. Saw what i thought looked like nice bike for €599

http://www.sunnbicycle.com/en/collection/2007/Route/Motive%20neo#none

Never heard of SUNN before, so just wonderin if anyones had experience with them, good or bad?

Cheers.
    Any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I was looking at getting this bike too. The carbon forks are quite appealing! Did you see it in the UCD bike shop? I think that's the only place that has them. From looking around for something in this price range it seems like a good deal. There's a BH Iseran in Eurocycles in town for 510 euro which I'm also considering. http://www.bhbikes.com/catalogo/carretera/l12m.htm

Would anyone know which one to go for? The Sunn brand seem to be pretty much unknown here. A mountain-biking friend said he knows the name and he seems to think they're well-regarded, but that's all the info I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Yah, it was in UCD as well. Still never seen them anywhere else. Nothing negative about them so far at least, I've been asking around and none of my mates have heard of them either. Maybe someone who knows there stuff can stil help. Reckon I'm gonna buy something in next week or so. Just can't survive without a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭marathonic

I don't know too much about bikes but I think the main things to worry about are the frame, wheels and gears (front and rear mech).

The 2200 (on the Sunn bike) are bottom of range Shimano, then Sora, then Tiagra and up from there.

Personally, as you had your last bike for 8 years and could also have this one for the same length of time, I'd be inclined to pay an extra 100 euro and go for a Giant (and indeed that's what I did when I'd the same budget to spend on a bike last year). It's 0.4kg lighter, also has a carbon fork and contains a mix of Sora and Tiagra. See below for more details.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=35&idproduct=11627

I think the general opinion is that Giant's entry level bikes are well priced and you are not forced to pay a huge premium over other unknown brand bikes for the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

I can't comment on that specific model, but I had a Sunn hardtail, maybe 6 years ago... Really nice bike. No problems. (Sunns chief designer then started his own bike business, Commencal Bikes, and i had one of those for a few years too). Also, a friend of mine has also been cycling one for about 3 years, and he's had no problems either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Ha! Bizarre, I was just in the bike shop asking about a Giant SCR 2.0/3.0 and yer man, the crazy shorter one, was trying to plug the Sunn bike. Seems good, but much like you having not heard much good/bad about them I am unsure and might just stick with what I knows.

Actually, minor side point, anyone know the cheapest price in Ireland for a Giant SCR 2.0 or 3.0?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

They are a french brand, kind of like the raleigh of france before raleigh became a name a byword for rubbish.
    As far as I knew when I was looking at buying one they had super frames but middling components. But I dont know much about them now

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Hmmm, I'm not sure if I should worry about the cheaper components cos I'm not going to spend more than 600. They are of course upgradeable in the future. I was wondering if the price is reasonable because only one shop does them, and well it's the same as in France here anyway http://www.cybervelo.com/velos/sunn-motive-neo-2007-p-1752.html
    That site appears only to do high end stuff, which might be a good indicator, I don't know. Haven't heard of any of the other brands they have either.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭danyosan

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Ha! Bizarre, I was just in the bike shop asking about a Giant SCR 2.0/3.0 and yer man, the crazy shorter one, was trying to plug the Sunn bike. Seems good, but much like you having not heard much good/bad about them I am unsure and might just stick with what I knows.

Actually, minor side point, anyone know the cheapest price in Ireland for a Giant SCR 2.0 or 3.0?
    Cheapest I've found the Giant CRS 3.0 is 399 (I've been looking at getting one as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭marathonic

Yeah I see the Giant CRS SE Bike 2006 is available from wiggle for 415 euro so if you can get it in Ireland for 399, you'd be getting a good enough deal...

The cheapest GIANT SCR 3.0 I've seen is http://www.mcconveycycles.com/ where the cost £450 (just under 675 euro)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

www.wiggle.co.uk or www.evanscycles.co.uk or www.paulscycles.co.uk should deliverr for free to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I just bought an SCR 2.0 for €750 :) Should be ready by the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Well here's a bit of a blast from the past - will be getting a flat bar racer come January and I've had a look at the bike the OP mentioned and am giving it a bit of consideration. Had a look at a version of the same bike with drop handlebars and the build quality seemed alright, nice light bike. Just to let you know what i'm using at the moment - RA5 Mercurio racer, an ok cheap bike but I've had to put about €110 or so in the past three months to keep it running, new rear wheel, new tubes and tires. Will probably looking at a new set of brakes,derailiuer, chain and cassette come the new year so I thought I may as well just splash the cash on a new machine.

Have been looking for similar models in other ranges as well and have come up with

Claude Butler Levante -
    Giant FCR 2.0
    Trek 7.5

Any of you out there used these? Any opinions on which I should go for? Have realised that the FCR and 7.5 have better gearing, tiagra as opposed to the 2200/sora series of the levante and motive. Is it worth paying the extra? What exactly are you getting for the cash?

Just noticed on thing though, the american website for giant shows the fcr with wheels that are similar to the trek - low spoke count etc, whilst the UK/Ireland model seems not to have them. Am I correct in thinking whilst being a tad lighter, these wheels aren't as strong as the traditional 36 spoke design? Also the Trek has a thicker tire, what do people reckon, stick with that or put a 23mm on the wheels instead?

Again I use the bike to go everywhere and like it to be light and fast - the only problem i find with the drop bars is that in city centre you tend to assume a rather low position and when you "sit up" when going through traffic you can take a few secs to get back down and on the brakes - hence thinking of going flat top.

Cheers lads, all replies very much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

worth having a look at ,
    nothing to do with me
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=37677&cat=52

spotted already my friend.... damn was hoping to keep that quiet! :D

Someone will probably beat me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Nothing to do with keeping it quiet, it was worth pointing it out when you see the likes of ALDI/LIDL MTBs going for €120+. Looks like a nice bike anyway, would grab it up if I had the cash and somewhere safe to keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

I've recently bought a Sunn and it seems like a decent bike so far.

It's a road bike, model 'Motive Exo', and very similar in both spec and price to a Giant SCR 2 - Alu frame (7005 tubing though, not 6061), carbon fork, Shimano Tiagra groupset.

The other bikes in the Sunn range also seemed comparable to Giant bikes at around the same price.

Cool. Any ideas as to price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Big article on Sunn mountain bikes in Nov issue of MBUK. Apparently they went bust in late 90's and restarted in 2005. Good bikes apparently.

Yeah, I noticed that bikeradar had a review of one of their mountain machines recently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

The Sunn alu frame bikes were (I think) 600 for the cheapest, with straight handlebars, Shimano 2200 groupset, then 700 for one with drop bars and slightly more expensive components (Sora), then 900 for one with more expensive still (Tiagra). At the time, I saw Giant SCR 2.0 bikes priced at around 900 too.

The carbon frame Sunns went from around 1200 to about 1800 - I think - and the groupsets got more exotic as prices went up.

There might be the chance of a discounted 2007 model as they seem to be introducing new models in 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Bluefoam wrote: »
    www.wiggle.co.uk or www.evanscycles.co.uk or www.paulscycles.co.uk should deliverr for free to Ireland.

evans and wiggle definitelty don't deliver a bike for free to Ireland.

Just thought I'd follow up the thread. I picked up a trek 7.5 in the end - the one on adverts.ie Absolute bargin, tyres were a little bit flat but I reckon its a tad lighter than my mercurio and theres the option to use the high ratio gears as well. For €450 it was a steal. Now i just gotta get myself an upgraded lock.......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Excellent - nice job. You should check out some motorbike shops for some decent locks, cheaper than the usual fare. Leave one at each location or it'll negate your carbon fork and then some :)

Trojan wrote: »
    Excellent - nice job. You should check out some motorbike shops for some decent locks, cheaper than the usual fare. Leave one at each location or it'll negate your carbon fork and then some :)

Ended up with a Abus Granit U Lock and a kryptoflex cable for securing the front wheel. Will bring the oxford sentinel if extra security for the front is needed. Thanks for all the advice guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

€450 for a Trek 7500 is a good deal, well done. Nice bike but Trek are popular with the thieves so lock it well ;-)

blorg wrote: »
    €450 for a Trek 7500 is a good deal, well done. Nice bike but Trek are popular with the thieves so lock it well ;-)

Yeah, was quoted around 800 is most dublin bike shops. I've the Abus granite xplus 54 which I put around the back wheel and seat post and to whatever rack I'm securing it to and then the kryptoflex goes through the front wheel and attaches to the ulock. I don't think I can find a way of locking it better, unless people have any suggestions, if they are please make them known!
    The general consensus seems to be that this particular abus is the best ulock on the market, the only thing that i've seen suggested as an improvement to make the shackle 16mm.

As has been noted in other threads, I park where there are other less well protected bikes around. Interestingly, the other day I parked beside another 7.5fx that was "secured" with a cable lock. There were a number of indents on the cable coating where attacks had been made to try and clip it. When I got back, the other trek was gone, just hope that its owner was the one who took it and not some lowlife.

Advertisement