Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

80's American Band W.A.S.P. ??

• 26-04-2007 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

What does W.A.S.P. stand for ??

And

Were/are they any good ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

They were excellent, peaking around the time of The Headless Children, definitely one of the better albums from that era which has stood the test of time very well. Saw them in 89 in the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire, it'd still be in my top 5 gigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Its never been confirmed what it was but here are some of the favourites:
    "We Are Sexual Perverts" or "We Are Satan's People" or even "We Are Satan's Preachers".

"We Are Sexual Perverts" is inscribed on their first album into the vinyl next to the label.

So choose one......

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

WASP are great band, well they're older stuff was anyway.
    I heard that Blackie Lawless ****s rather like a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

The Crimson Idol is a fantastic album. An underrated metal classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I thought it stood for White Anglo Saxon Protestants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Saw them play support to someone yonks ago in the SFX.

They actually had their first single banned by their own record label.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I read once in an interview when Blackie was asked what W.A.S.P. stands for he said

"We Ain't Sure Pal"

That's my favourite.

Great band too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Damn good band! Aviod their newest stuff though, its not very good, well its alright, but its very same-y.

Originally it stands for White Anglo Saxon Protestents, but its basicaly up to the listeners imagination, its never actualy been said for definite by any member of W.A.S.P. but you could probably take for granted that its We Are Sexual Perverts, what with it being inscribed on their debut and from what Blackie says before "Harder, Faster" on Live..In The Raw talking about how Tipper Gore "thinks that We Are Sexual Perverts!!"

Theyre stage shows are pretty wild (well, depending on the era), Especialy the one for the Kill Fúck Die album (1997), which involved Blackie with a knife strapped to his crotch and ****ing a nun on a crucifix with it, then reaching inside her and pulling out a fetus and impaling it on the blade, while looking totally insane. One night on that tour, at a convention of some sort, he came out with a full sized replica of Marilyn Manson, raped it in the ass, broke open its skull and drank its blood. that'll teach that copycat! (Nobody mention how W.A.S.P. got the ideas for their stage shows from Alice Cooper)

An another note, Blackie found a human head in a dumpster while recording The Crimson Idol, he so should have used it in the stage show.

This turned out to be an essay. And i didnt say anything about their actual music. It's good. Crimson Idol, brilliant (even just for Bob Kulick solos, which are great), Headless Children, fantastic throughout, KFD, great when your pissed off(it was written after Chris Holmes was dumped and Blackie's wife turned lesbian). the rest is pretty decent good time metal.

when they played here in the eighties sometime, Blackie's "exploding" codpiece actually exploded. (It was meant to just shoot sparks, instead it almost blew his balls off)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Headless Children was an album I actually bought (which shocked me tbh!) but it turned out to be great - kinda like Black Sabbath with more radio-friendly hooklines.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

New album out a couple of weeks ago called Dominator, saw them last Nov in the TBMC and really enjoyed it, although they're prob not as good as when Chris Holmes shread with them. WASP are an excellent band OP and well worth investing some time and money into!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Jack Vegas

The first album is essential hair metal.

Advertisement