Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUBLIN COMIC & TOY MART...May 5th

Options
  • 26-04-2007 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

The latest COMIC & TOY mart is being held in the Royal Dublin Hotel on O'Connell street on Saturday May 5th from 10am-6pm. We'll be celebrating FREE COMIC BOOK DAY by giving each attendee 2 of this years free comics (which include a Tokyo Pop book, a Batman heroclix as well as some terrific comics). Ireland's top dealers will be there selling comics, graphic novels, dvd's, posters, toys, small press comic creators etc. We'll also be showing comic related dvd's all day long.
    Admission is 1 euro for adults ,under 12's free. If you'd like to sell at this event you can contact me ar comicartist@oceanfree.net .
    Hope to see you there!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Daknight

cool! ill definitely be there! how many people do you usually expect at this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭thumbninja

well.. there'll be two there anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Emmett

We usually get 500-1000 people at these events. We've got a good name in the comic community now for having all the harder to find stuff at decent prices. Each event grows a little bigger and we bring more diverse stuff each time. We get alot of people in who are new to comics too because as well as advertising through comic shops we seek out any publicity we can get through newspapers and radio.

Well thats good to hear,was afraid it was going to be like one i went to a while back,it was a gaming con and there was about eight people there..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Stormcrow

Hey Daknight, Emmett is the man behind this particular regular comic institution and he always does a great job. And congrats Emmett on this being bigger!
    Stormcrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Uncle Spunk

Emmett is a gem. And a great artist too which is something he doesnt really show off about. I have a table at it and will be selling loads of vintage carded Star Wars toys and my comics. So there.

Thanks for the kind words guys! Hope ye enjoy this one as much as the previous ones. I can't wait for it myself....mere days to go. The comic mart and Spider-man 3 on the same weekend....throw in a few beers with fellow comic fans and that combo is hard to beat ! Weekend of the Millenium!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Bob, any chance of selling ishes of Mbleh! or Shiznit there? I'd definetely pick a few.
    Also, which of the free comics will be avaidable? I've got my eyes on that Umbrella Academy and Transformers Movie Prequel...

There will be vast amounts of all the Free Comic Book Day comics. Umbrella Academy will probably move quicker than I anticipated when ordering....so it may be wise to get in early to secure yours.
    Personally I'm looking forward to Astounding Wolf-Man most.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Uncle Spunk

Yep of course I'll stinking things up with MBLEH's and forget about Free Comic DAY, I run Free Comic YEAR!

• Advertisement

Dublin Comic and Toy Mart tomorrow!!!!!! woooooooooooooo!!!!!! :D

That was really good!! got some good comics and a cool batman lighter, cant wait for next mart!:D When your arrangin another mart,please post it! thanks Emmett :D

Daknight wrote:
    That was really good!! got some good comics and a cool batman lighter, cant wait for next mart!:D When your arrangin another mart,please post it! thanks Emmett :D
    Glad you enjoyed it! Not sure when the next one will be yet, I'm weighing up some dates at the moment but will be sure to post here when I know for sure. 'Thought that it wasn't quite as busy as usual this time but that could be down to it being a bank holiday weekend. Still a great day though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lardossan

thanks for organising this, lots of neat stuff and decent bargains...definitely up for another one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

I went there too, I brought my two sons. We got there pretty early while things were being set up, but everyone was really nice to them and we had a good time. I couldn't stay as long as I would have liked with the kids, but I'd definitely be up for another one!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

forgot all about this
    b****x :(

Did any of you pick up at the mart the free comic book day comic 'Umbrella Academy'? I just noticed they're going for a nice few quid on ebay already. It's written by the lead singer of My Chemical Romance and I suppose their fans are trying to get hold of them. I enjoyed the Astounding Wolfman comic but wasn't so keen on the Spider-man issue. Jackpot????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

Emmett wrote:
    Jackpot????
    Yeah, I had to laugh at that. Are they trying to say Mary-Jane is actually female super-hero Elvis impersonator?

The comic was what it was I suppose, an ad to get you to buy more Spidey comics. I tell you what though, its a good thing I was broke at the weekend or Modelmania would have owned my house!!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

I got the Umbrella Academy comic ... Its worth money u say? Awesome!

to the immediate left of the entrance there was a long table stretching almost all the way to back of the room...on this table there were two separate traders, a younger chap and further down a slightly older chap with glasses...do these guys have shops in Dublin? nice selection of comics between the two of them.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I've seen umbrella academy go for up to 30 euro on ebay in the past few days.

lardossan wrote:
    to the immediate left of the entrance there was a long table stretching almost all the way to back of the room...on this table there were two separate traders, a younger chap and further down a slightly older chap with glasses...do these guys have shops in Dublin? nice selection of comics between the two of them.
    That would be my table, although from the sounds of it I wasn't behind the table at the time. (I was the bald guy with the Hellboy tshirt) . The guys you saw were my servants, Sean and David :) I was probably out scaring kids in the Spidey costume or hitting on hotties.
    I don't have a shop, I just sell through mail order and at my comic marts every few months. The comics you saw there were about 3/4 of my stock. (It's impossible to bring everything).
    I'm always glad to recieve wants lists if theirs anything you're looking for or a certain creator whose work you're trying to find....my email is comicartist@oceanfree.net

ah cool, i think I was hassling you at some point about a Nexus free comic I couldn't find...the stand I'm talking about had a lot of those plastic encased collectors comics (mostly FM daredevils issues) on the far end from the entrance...I'll pop you a mail with a few tings I'm afta then, ta!

lardossan wrote:
    ah cool, i think I was hassling you at some point about a Nexus free comic I couldn't find...the stand I'm talking about had a lot of those plastic encased collectors comics (mostly FM daredevils issues) on the far end from the entrance...I'll pop you a mail with a few tings I'm afta then, ta!
    Yep, that was me and yes,all along that row (and the row at the back of the room) was my stuff. I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Emmet, you are a comic-selling god. Firstly, because of that awesome Hellboy tee, and secondly, because you had the one comic I was desperate to find; Gary Gianni's The Monstermen. You had a hell-load of other great stuff too, so I'll prolly' send you an email list soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭professor kaos

I was at the mart on saturday, and i was really impressed, even if it was the first one i was at! i thought there was a great selection of a bit of everything and i managed to pick up a lot of back issues that i had missed, along with a few transformer toys! i heard that there had been a few marts before this one, do you do them reguarly? i heard about this one thru the guys in modelmania. I'll definetly be at the next.

Saruwatari wrote:
    Emmet, you are a comic-selling god. Firstly, because of that awesome Hellboy tee, and secondly, because you had the one comic I was desperate to find; Gary Gianni's The Monstermen. You had a hell-load of other great stuff too, so I'll prolly' send you an email list soon.

Nice to meet another Gianni fan, he's so under-rated. Have you read the Hellboy Christmas Special with art by Gianni? I think I remember you were with a Mignola fan on the day and I was trying to point out non-Hellboy Mignola stuff to him....Wolverine:The Jungle Adventure is another I just remembered.
    I was at the mart on saturday, and i was really impressed, even if it was the first one i was at! i thought there was a great selection of a bit of everything and i managed to pick up a lot of back issues that i had missed, along with a few transformer toys! i heard that there had been a few marts before this one, do you do them reguarly? i heard about this one thru the guys in modelmania. I'll definetly be at the next.

'Glad you like it! Yes, that was the 6th in a series of conventions and marts I've put on. I try to aim for 2-3 a year and hope to do another before summer is over.

Yeah, I was that guy. No, I haven't read Christmas Underground yet. Its a shame the TPB its collected in doesn't feature Gianni's Corpus Monstrum story.
    Oh, d'you have the collected Corpus Monstrum book?

Advertisement