Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

first car

Options
  • 26-04-2007 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Hey

Just looking for a bit of advice really

I have no clue about cars really.. tbut have decided to go buy one..

basically looking for an ok car to get from a to b

i want a reliably car that isnt too expenisive around 5k... was looking at he colts and the seem ok.. but hey i realyy dont know alot!

can anyone offer guidance would be on what a good first car should be.. just want it for yr or two to get me up and running

Hope ye can be of a bit of help cheers

arrian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

Colts are a good car, almost identical to lancers. Reliable, economical and cheap to run. Should get a 00 for 3k to 4k.

For 5k it may be possible to get an early Seat leon which are pretty nice looking if you ask me and have the same underpinings as a golf.

Also almeras are good value, and most people will probably recommend fiestas.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

"Reliable, economical and cheap to run"

ha...thats what i like to hear, not into doing the car up or anything like that..keeping it very simple ha,,

insurance for colt think worked out be about 1k.. still on a provisional.. but hoping to get the full once i get a few more lessons in and more practice...

i know sounds like stupid question... but what would the tax cost on a colt..or does it dpend on each car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I would say anything Japanese in your price range is a good bet.

Toyota corolla , Mazda 323 , Nissan almera , Mitsubishi lancer. All mid sized cars and good for starting off.
    I would say Honda Civa but most of them seem to have been "boy raced" :(
    Since you don't know much about cars maybe try to get one from a garage and ask for a 6 month guarantee.

i know sounds like stupid question... but what would the tax cost on a colt..or does it dpend on each car?

It depends on engine size check here

https://www.motortax.ie/mtoapp/pdf/motortax_rates_2004_en.pdf

thanks guys for help so far..just been putting off getting a car for years but decided want that independance now! or maybe its me just sick of bus eireann!

thanks for info on tax.. i though it cost about 1k for tax..shows how much i know!

see i like the size of the Colts... not too small and not too big.. smaller i would not feel safe.. and bigger i wouldnt feel confident enogh for a big car just yet!

• Advertisement

I have a 1.3 corolla as a first car, very happy with it.
    Has the same size engine as the colt.A 1.3 engine is good for starting . Not thirsty not too fast or overly slow.
    Colt is decent but also check out the other ones I listed.
    Once you have one you will wonder how you lived with out it.

ya will do.. i take it quinn direct are the best for insurance.. was doing on line quotes for colts and the test were well over 1500 euro and quinn direct were just over 1k...
    am 25.. on a provisional

I found quinn the best by far a provisional licence. Once you get a full licene then some other companies might give you better quotes.

will look into that..cos hopefully will get full licence soon into it.. will have to look deeper what the story with gettting monet back off quinn cos plan on paying insurance up front so wont have too many outgoings.. so just will have car loan comong out

I think quinn would give you some kind of refund on the remaining months if you get a full licence. But I'm not sure. Remember that the waiting time to sit the test in most areas is at least 9 months(disgraceful). If you can, get an employer to send a letter stating that you need the car for work. You might get it in 2 - 3 months then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ya will do.. i take it quinn direct are the best for insurance.. was doing on line quotes for colts and the test were well over 1500 euro and quinn direct were just over 1k...
    am 25.. on a provisional

Quinn Direct may be the cheapest option regarding basic insurance cover for young or inexperienced drivers but they are far from the best when it comes to making a claim imo.

Regarding cars, a 2000 or 2001 Ford Fiesta 1.25 litre might be an option. Cracking little car and sweet engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Get the colt. Great little car, nice to drive. Definately one of the easiest cars to park out there! I used be amazed at how tight a space I could reverse into with one.

ya..been look at them...colt seems a nice car.. reliable and looked on autotrader and they seemed good prices aroubd 4 - 5 k

• Registered Users Posts: 27 englishineire

Get a colt, fabulous little motor.

Had mine for the past 2 years, and had no problems with it bar the usual (tyres and exhaust).

Fun to drive & economical. Getting the aul fella's beamer next year, so will be departing with it, but simply its one of the best cars I've had.

Stick to Japanese or German cars, you can't go wrong !

hiya

ya everyone seems to say good things about the colt

how much did you pay for yours .. wold i be able to get one for about 4.5 k

any advise where best to get it

just wondering nearly going to go for the colt now.. and quinn direct seem best option just wondering is it true you can get a better deal if you ring them rather then buying it online??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

bazz26 wrote:
    Regarding cars, a 2000 or 2001 Ford Fiesta 1.25 litre might be an option. Cracking little car and sweet engine.

Ill stand by this. It was my 1st car after doing plenty of research. It was voted the best small 2nd car to have in an Autocar mag I have going back a few years. 75bhp means it nippy enough with great chassis dynamics & good residuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Buy my car nissan almera, 1.4 lovely car just been serviced, nct 'till 11/07 tax 08/07, ya cant go wrong see ad in sig

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Irish Colts tend to be very basic. even in 2001 electric windows weren't standard, even on the higher spec model.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I had the Jap import Mirage variant of the Colt (2 of them actually - one 99 hatchback and one 98 coupe).
    Both 1.3 (automatics in my case) but not a day's bother with either of them. Higher spec too - climate control, electric windows, remote central locking etc.

Nice decent size (the boot in the coupe was about as big as my current Passat) and look pretty good I think. I'd say go for it. I bought mine through garages I saw listed on carzone.ie

One word of warning though: in the event of an accident they seem to fold like paper. My first one was a write-off after a woman pulled out across a junction in front of me on the N3 one morning. While her Volvo only had a scratch, the front end of mine was destroyed. Still drivable, and noone hurt, but the bodywork suffered badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd go with a Jap one too.

Advertisement