Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scanners for beginners?

Options
  • 26-04-2007 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

good to see this forum up and running!

I'd be interested in giving this hobby a go, but don't have a scanner of my own. Could anybody suggest a scanner for a n00b like myself? I'm not gonna go into debt for one, so a nice "inexpensive" (euphemism ;)) scanner with a good range (or whatever) would be good. I'm located in Dublin.

Also what kind of stuff can you actually pick up on a scanner? It's been mentioned that the Gardaí use encrypted communication, and are actually using their mobile phones quite often to communicate. Can ambulances be heard? Air traffic control?

What else? They're the only 2 I can think of :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Hmm. tough one to call.
    The biggest problem with cheapy scanners (actually, they are misadvertised as scanners, most of the time they are are cheap airband radios - I'm referring to Ebay here) is they're usually crap.
    My advice is to go for something half decent, that you can always sell on if you find that scanning is not for you. I'd keep an eye on Ebay - I reckon you could'nt go too wrong with something like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REALISTIC-PRO-2006-VHF-UHF-SCANNER-RADIO_W0QQitemZ250108656763QQihZ015QQcategoryZ40979QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Only thing is, you'd need to get an aerial for something like this - and get it as high up as possible.

The other option (probably the best for you, starting out) would be something like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/radio-scanner_W0QQitemZ180110455617QQihZ008QQcategoryZ40979QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    which imo was excellent value.

Regarding range, the range you can recieve from is dictated by how good your aerial is, your location, and your reciever.

Most emergency services, utility bodies like dublin corporation, Dublin Bus, Taxi's, couriers, and air traffic control, can be picked up.
    All on different frequencies, and all on FM (except for air traffic stuff which is always AM).

Your best bet is research thoroughly before you invest any money, and buy something half decent that you could always sell on again.

A good site to google is strongsignals.net

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I got my scanner in CQ Communications. Its a bearcat, don't know the model off hand, but will post it when i get home. It cost me £200 at the time. It was dear but just so worth it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Bearcat are the Rolls Royce of radio equipment. A lot of so called scanners aren't worthy of the name tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Bearcat are the Rolls Royce of radio equipment. A lot of so called scanners aren't worthy of the name tbh.

They are the best type of scanner in my opinion, no problem with them what so ever. www.cqcomms.ie

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Icom make very good scanners also

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Funny how everyone has a different opinion of who makes the best scanner.

Personally I think AOR produce the best scanners out there, although they are difficult to use at first. I've heard great reports on the Yupiteru scanners also - never owned one but have used a mate's MVT-7100 and was impressed.

Bearcat produce middle-of-the-road stuff IMO. I'd say they'd make reasonable quality equipment at a good price. Probably a good choice for a starter.

I wouldn't touch anything from Alinco. I had a brand new Alinco scanner which was deaf on certain frequencies as confirmed by other scanners - brought it straight back to CQ and replaced it with an AOR. Never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Does any on here have this model Steepletone SAB 2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ChrisJefferies

Hi Dave,

I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago and decided to buy a Uniden Bearcat UBC-72XLT.

It's the first receiver I've had so can't compare it to anything else but I'm pleased with the build quality and well written manual. It also has a close call facility which will pick up strong signals near to you. I haven't had anything come through on it yet but I'm hoping that a visit to Dun Laoghaire harbour soon will allow me to pick up the ferry as it comes in/out without me having to know the frequency before hand.

Things I didn't know at the time were...

The little rubber duck antenna they come with are very dissapointing. You may be nearer to the signals in Dublin but out in Mullingar the standard antenna didn't pick up anything. At first I didn't think the scanner worked but I was outside in the garden and if I held it up I received a very faint signal from somewhere.

This started me on the path to making a better antenna. With the help of a few guys on here (they're great ambassadors for the hobby by the way, very friendly and helpful) I made a few different designs and put one up on the chimney of my house. I can now pick up Dublin, Dundalk & Limerick 2 Metre FM Ham Radio repeaters, alot of air traffic and Dublin Control Tower and a taxi company in south Dublin :)

If you're getting a scanner to help you get into the Ham Radio side of things the really good frequencies are HF between 1.8MHZ and 29.7MHZ. My scanner doesn't go down that far so I am unable to listen in (Short Wave Listening (SWL) I've since learnt). You'll want a HF reciever or transceiver for that (you can't transmit though without a licence) and that's a whole new exciting world :)

I am however able to listen to the repeaters mentioned above which are between 144 and 146 MHZ which is a popular frequency band for local traffic, which I'm sure you'd pick up alot of in Dublin. The Dundalk repeater is also connected to the Internet through something called Echolink which alot of Americans like to use to call back to Ireland. It's great listening to all the chatting going on.

I haven't picked up any police/ambulance/fire communications but I think that's because I never see any of them around the village that I live in.

Oh and I'm finding that having rechargable batteries that can stay in the set whilst you charge them very handy (charger + batteries were included). Also one annoyance is that the screen has a backlight for the dark but the keypad doesn't so you have to guess where your fingers are typing.

Good Luck,

Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

PauloMN wrote: »
    I've heard great reports on the Yupiteru scanners also - never owned one but have used a mate's MVT-7100 and was impressed..

Have a MVT7100 but rarely use it. Dont think much of it. Sensitivity isint that good and a lot of images and false carriers. Programming memories is rather fiddly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭billgates

Uniden Bearcat's are entry level toys.

Go for an Icom if you are looking for a serious scanner, sensitivity and selectivity are on a different level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Uniden Bearcat I have is good for Weather Satellite BECAUSE the IF is broad.

The much better Yaesu VR500 would need tuned continiously. (It's really useful).

Advertisement