Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo TDCI opinions?

Options
  • 26-04-2007 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of getting a Ford Mondeo tdci later this year, just wanted to know how people regard them and what to watch out for when buying??

Cheers! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

techie wrote:
    I am thinking of getting a Ford Mondeo tdci later this year, just wanted to know how people regard them and what to watch out for when buying??

Cheers! :)

Just make sure it is actually a TDCi as the earlier models from 2001 to 2003 apparently had a 115bhp version of the old TDDi unit afaik.

Facelifted Mondeo TDCi from 2004 has a 6 speed gear box. 130bhp version is very rare but would be nice to get. More common in the UK though if that is an option for you.

Do a search here for a recent thread called "Passat v Mondeo" . It has some good information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

As Bazz said, make sure its the tdci you are getting.
    Comparing the tddi to the tdci is like chalk and cheese. The tdci unit is a very free-revving engine compared to the tddi. Not saying the tddi is a bad unit, but the tdci is miles ahead.

Zetec trim give you a lot of creature comforts, facelifted 04 model on gets climate control as well as a six speed gearbox. Zetec a little more stiffly sprung compared to LX model.

I have a 130bhp zetec tdci (was a uk import I stumbled across), acceleration from 50 to 70 is a rapid affair, leaving overtaking manouvres that much safer.
    Puts a grin on my face, and I get 52mpg per tank (calculated, not from the onboard computer, which is typically 5/6mpg optomistic).

Before the mondeo I had a 130bhp Leon which I loved - But the mondeo is better!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

gyppo wrote:
    As Bazz said, make sure its the tdci you are getting.
    Comparing the tddi to the tdci is like chalk and cheese. The tdci unit is a very free-revving engine compared to the tddi. Not saying the tddi is a bad unit, but the tdci is miles ahead.

Zetec trim give you a lot of creature comforts, facelifted 04 model on gets climate control as well as a six speed gearbox. Zetec a little more stiffly sprung compared to LX model.

I have a 130bhp zetec tdci (was a uk import I stumbled across), acceleration from 50 to 70 is a rapid affair, leaving overtaking manouvres that much safer.
    Puts a grin on my face, and I get 52mpg per tank (calculated, not from the onboard computer, which is typically 5/6mpg optomistic).

Before the mondeo I had a 130bhp Leon which I loved - But the mondeo is better!:)

Great , thanks for that review :) Where did you stumble on yours??

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Agreed on the 130bhp version. definately the pick of ther bunch, I found it to be unbelievably economical, and as gyppo said, mid range acceleration is excellent. Irish models were badged as Zetec, but were sold as "Ebony" models. Spec was the same as a Zetec, with the addition of a 6 speed gearbox and climate control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

if you're gonna go to england, try getting a "ghia x" variant - loaded with extras - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2005-FORD-MONDEO-2-2-GHIA-X-TDCI-DIESEL-HATCH-155BhpPx_W0QQitemZ150113960490QQihZ005QQcategoryZ9844QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-MONDEO-GHIA-X-2-2-TDCI-SILVER-2004_W0QQitemZ320106588437QQihZ011QQcategoryZ9844QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tdci's are common rail - so they need more care than the tddi; don't go putting cheap fuel into them and change the fuel filter every second service

• Advertisement

land9 wrote:
    if you're gonna go to england, try getting a "ghia x" variant - loaded with extras - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2005-FORD-MONDEO-2-2-GHIA-X-TDCI-DIESEL-HATCH-155BhpPx_W0QQitemZ150113960490QQihZ005QQcategoryZ9844QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-MONDEO-GHIA-X-2-2-TDCI-SILVER-2004_W0QQitemZ320106588437QQihZ011QQcategoryZ9844QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tdci's are common rail - so they need more care than the tddi; don't go putting cheap fuel into them and change the fuel filter every second service

Both nice cars alright but I think I will try and get the 2.0Tdci with 130bhp as its €539 to tax for year!!

Anyone selling theres towards the end of this year or early next year give me a shout please ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I could be thinking of a different engine but I could have sworn Mike Brewer had a top tip about the injectors having a short life - about 40,000 miles and a new set will set you back a grand including labour.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,363 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mike65 wrote:
    I could be thinking of a different engine but I could have sworn Mike Brewer had a top tip about the injectors having a short life - about 40,000 miles and a new set will set you back a grand including labour.

That's shocking :eek:

Depreciation is high so value second hand can be excellent. The Mondeo TDCI won the auto express second hand family car of the year. Award:
    Mike Brewer was the big Ford’s keenest fan. “You can buy a 65,000-mile 54-plate 2.0 TDCi for only £5,000. What a lot of motor for the money!” he said. With 45mpg, its strong diesel engine outperforms more expensive cars, while its driving dynamics are among the best. As with the original Ford Focus, the current Mondeo is leaving on a high, which makes three and four-year-old models great buys.

Linky

Thats interesting! Mike Brewer speaks out of both sides of his mouth maybe, he mentioned it on his Used Car Roadshow prog on M&M. and I just checked www.honestjohn.co.uk - it mentions 60,000 for the injectors and that they were tweaked by Ford (after some nasty feedback one presumes).
    TDCI 130bhp engine may suffer from starting problems and uneven idling, may misfire between 1,800 and 2,000rpm, may sometimes cut out and may not be particularly economical with 42.5 mpg fairly typical. Partially cured by a an ECU software download, but head and injectors have also been modified on later cars
    TDCI injectors seem to be very fuel sensittive. Many have needed to be replaced after 3-4 years and circa 60,000 miles.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Thats interesting! Mike Brewer speaks out of both sides of his mouth maybe, he mentioned it on his Used Car Roadshow prog on M&M. and I just checked www.honestjohn.co.uk - it mentions 60,000 for the injectors and that they were tweaked by Ford (after some nasty feedback one presumes).

Mike.

Loos like the TDDI might be the one to go for for reliabilty so????

• Advertisement

My advice would be to simply check any car you look at, you'd need to see paperwork proof of an injector swap. Check which garage has done the servicing and get the VIN then head for the said garage and get them to check thier records.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    My advice would be to simply check any car you look at, you'd need to see paperwork proof of an injector swap. Check which garage has done the servicing and get the VIN then head for the said garage and get them to check thier records.

Mike.

OK will do , thanks Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

The injectors have a service life of 200k according to Delphi who make the things. They die earlier if people do silly things like fill the tank with petrol or chip oil. My focus TDCi is on 80k, and has never had its fuel system looked at: long may it stay that way.

Advertisement