Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought somethin from US and dont know hidden charges...HELP!

Options
  • 26-04-2007 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Ok,i am quite the dumbass,i'm first to admit it, just after buyin a golf club on impulse from ebay from an amreican seller,now it cost €240 with a further €30 for delivery. Now i wasnt thinkin but isnt there customs and all that craic on it when it gets to ireland, could anyone enlighten me as to how much this would be, VAT etc :confused: i wanna have enough money to clear it when it comes in

Any help would be brilliant Thanx!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You may be charged 21% VAT on the total cost (€270). There may also be an administration cost of a few Euro.

But, you also may not be charged. Some items do get through without being stopped for VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Depends on the courier. If it's An Post (sent by US post office) then you might get away with it. If it's DHL/FedEx/UPS etc then you will have to pay customs plus VAT plus an admin fee. Don't know how much the customs will be, around 10-20% maybe, I think it depends on the goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

its actually being sent by the US Postal Service so could get way with it, which would be good, i'll keep ye posted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

I purchased a costume from a well-known TV show on eBay. The costume piece came to $910.
    The seller only shipped internationally via UPS. In Ireland I had to pay 12.5% import tax because it came from outside the EU which was added to the price and then was charged 21% vat on top of that.

Ended up having to pay almost €300 in import tax and VAT. Import Tax should be scrapped IMO

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

jor el wrote:
    Depends on the courier. If it's An Post (sent by US post office) then you might get away with it. If it's DHL/FedEx/UPS etc then you will have to pay customs plus VAT plus an admin fee.
    I've recieved plenty with all those three with out paying anything in VAT. The only time I've ever have been hit with it (with around 100 odd purchases coming in from outside EU) was for two memory modules from US and that was because the customs had stopped the package and check it at random.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Demonique wrote:
    Import Tax should be scrapped IMO

What a ridiculous statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Import tax is imposed by the EU, not by Ireland.

Similar in US - there is import tax on many goods especially from EU.

Advertisement