Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mini browser rant

• 26-04-2007 9:35pm

Had to get this off my chest, this is one reason why I'm not using Firefox...
    <SCRIPT language="JavaScript">
    <!--
    var browserName=navigator.appName; 
     if (browserName=="Microsoft Internet Explorer")
     {
      window.location="http://www.profit42.com/browsererror.html";
    }
    //-->
    </SCRIPT>

I won't be bullied into using it, I'll just add the site to my restricted list and bypass the script :p. Stuff like this doesn't help any product's reputation.

/end rant

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

You're not using Firefox because some site doesn't support IE?

Not exclusively, but actions like that make Firefox no better than Microsoft, aka vendor lock-in. This isn't the only site I've seen doing this, there's quite a few. Not all block IE entirely but sometimes display a snotty message at the top of the page.

I've heard reports, not sure how true, that Google might be supporting this, since these "blocking mechanisms" always point to the version of FF with the Google toolbar bundled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

It's not that anyone is trying to lock someone in it's more of a case of trying to force IE to becomes more standards compliant.

IE7 made some positive steps in that direction but they still have a ways to go and some web developers simply choose to not support browsers which don't support standards/features which may be used by a site.

Within that group there are of course a few people who will have anti-IE messages on their site but those are not the majority I would think and the Mozilla community openly frowns on such practises as I recall sometime back on Mozillazine this topic came up plus MozCo has a pretty good relationship with Microsoft which surprises some people. Personally I don't see it as a reason not to use Firefox.

Advertisement