Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom think I'm in Germany... I think

Options
  • 26-04-2007 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Every time I go onto google.com it redirects me to google.de whereas usually it redirects me to google.ie. Why is this? I use Firefox but I tried IE and the same happened. Anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Eircom don't fink nuffink.
    Go direct to google.ie perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ya go direct to google.ie or reset your router for a new ip address.
    Happened to me also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Same hear. Got sick of switching off and on the router.

Just click the link which says "Google.com in English" on the Google.de page.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

I know I could go straight to google.ie, I was just curious to why I was being redirected to the German google because it never happened me before

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

dave_t wrote:
    I know I could go straight to google.ie, I was just curious to why I was being redirected to the German google because it never happened me before

Maybe Google's software is acting up. Could be that it's region recognition software isn't working properly. I'm no techie, so i could be talking bollix.

• Advertisement

Or maybe Eircom acquired some ip addresses that used to belong to some german organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

A little silly to jump on Eircom for this.

Who's jumping on Eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I beleive Goolge was having a SW problem. Users were also losing personalised search settings.
    You can fairly easily look up your own IP and see if it is an eircom issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭the1andonly1

This problem is still happening for me, seems to be a google problem, as my ip address is showing as having a dublin loacation. any solutions?

• Advertisement

Just go directly to http://www.google.ie
    I used to have my hope page set as google.com but now have it set to google.ie because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

You could change ur hosts file to redirect the browser to google.ie whenever u enter .com if ur in the habit of entering .com

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭the1andonly1

the issue was with google video, which doesnt have a .ie page, i was been redirected to the german version instead of the american/uk one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If you have the google toolbar it lets you set you preffered homepage in the options - handy too.

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

tuxy wrote:
    Who's jumping on Eircom?
    The topic title is "Eircom think Im in Germany". No point in blaming Eircom when its a site that has the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

I wasn't blaming eircom, I wasn't sure. I believe I covered that with the "....I think"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mr Rivers

This is happening to me now :\

Advertisement