Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing roof and insulating walls?

Options
  • 26-04-2007 11:24pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,672 CMod ✭✭✭✭

i've a house, with a flat roof extension on the back; am considering replacing the flat roof with a pitched one, am getting a bit cheesed off with damp patches in my kitchen ceiling. while i'm at it, i may have a go at the walls. they're 25cm thick, from the outer render to the plaster on the inside; i think the plaster is applied to the brick, or to a screed over the brick, it's quite solid when you tap it.

i'd be very surprised if that 25cm contained two layers of 4 inch block with insulation; and given that the extension doesn't keep heat, i imagine that the (presumed) cavity blocks don't have any insulation. how much difference would having insulation squirted into the cavity blocks make? i assume it'd be best done if or when the roof is off? i'm also suspicious that there's no proper insulation in the roof.

also, re the pitched roof - would this require planning permission?
    also, anyone have any idea how much the roof might cost to have put in? roughly 20 foot by 11 foot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Try and find out what your heat requirement would be after you get the walls done ,also refelt the roof and maybe stuff it with insulation.

I'm not a builder ,but an apex roof is pretty expensive to get done.

You can get soundproof plasterboard now ,it's got compressed rockwool on the back and it's really heavy. That would keep the heat in:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

You're walls are either two 4" blocks in parallel with a gap and possibly insulation between, or 9" hollow concrete block (and no insulation)

You can't insulate the 9" block except by installling dry lining inside the house.

Advertisement