Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pets.

Options
  • 27-04-2007 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

whats the craic on pets in apts and 3bed duplexes lads..?

is it allowed..? one wud have thought so..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

In Seabourne it says that pets are not allowed if they are a disturbance to others. A few people have small dogs and they're fine, nice and quiet. But if it was me and they started barking all night well that would be another story.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

ask your management company about it...
    i wouldn't really think it would be to fair on a dog tho.

cat might be ok,

you'd definitly be grand with goldfish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 matti

Just a quick question on this... I live in a two bed town house in the Grove, and one of my neighbours has a dog (well loads of them do but not like this!). It seems to live in the garden and barks constanly. from once the sun comes up. I love dogs, but this is driving me crazy! Because all the gardens back onto one another in a kind of rectangle, everything seems to echo too.. It says in the management company rules that annoying pets are not allowed, but really what can they do? Its usually the last thing I hear when I go to sleep and wakes me up about 2 hours too early every day. Is there anything I can do?? I'm just not 100% sure which house its coming from.....

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

:D matti, you and i must live in the same part of the grove. i feel your pain. the last couple of weeks in particular there've been a couple of dogs barking/yapping continuously from about 6.30 in the morning, even at weekends.

while i fully understand when you live in a terrace of houses theres gonna be noise and everyone's entitled to have pets. but i guarantee you if i was playing loud music at 6.30am every day thered be a lot of people with something to say about it.

unfortunately there doesnt seem to be a whole lot you can do though. i tried approaching neighbour on the road about possibly letting the dog in in the morning and was told if i had an issue to take it up with my solicitor...:rolleyes:

rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

Find out which house it comes from and contact the management company. Short of kidnapping the dog that's all you can do! You'd think the people might have a little consideration though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

have a look back at the early discussions on this board - there was a long discussion about (I'm guessing) the same dog in the grove. Somebody went to talk to the owner and was basically told to f*ck off.

I also live backing onto that garden and am sick of the yapping. there's another dog in an adjoining garden that starts howling every morning - its like living next to the kennels.

EDIT: here's the original thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054905295

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

I'm a bit surprised that the ISPCA couldn't do anything - a constantly barking dog is a stressed dog, they need to be taken out regularly, a change of environment, - poor little sausages....

I have two small terriers and they are in the garden when I am out during the day, with comfy kennels, - I check with the neighbours now and again to make sure they are not being a nusiance and am told you wouldn't know they were there - I would hate the thought of them barking all the time. I have a walker who takes them out during the day or I take them out in the evenings if she can't make it - they are indeed a huge commitment if you want to look after them properly.

;) LOL - yep that was me that started the last thread and I'm pretty sure its the same guilty Charlesland Yipper as before (though the pitch of the yip has matured slightly, i still recognise it!)

I tried approaching the owner of the offending dog at the time but despite my best attempts to keep the discussion amicable and constructive - "maybe you could let the dog in in the mornings for a couple of hours, its very unreasonable on your neighbours" - i was pretty much told its an "outdoors dog" and to speak to her solicitor if i had a problem and had the door shut in my face (which gave the impression that perhaps it wasnt the first time she had been approached about the same problem??)

i did speak to Cuala about it aswell but I guess in the grand scheme of things its not really a major priority but i think they said they would send a letter to the house advising the owner they'd had complaints from the neighbours....

And yes the howling is only adding to the pain but I do think that its the yipping that is the catalyst for the howling, and the Howler is only joining in.

im not sure what we can do save contacting Cuala again...

I don't know how I missed that thread! I thought I was the only one that was going crazy! Yes the pitch of the yip has matured - slightly - but not enough! I don't mind the howling so much -its not as loud! I know the dog that does it and she's gorgeous! I used to live beside a kennels and I never heard as much barking as I do now! But the last two nights have been fairly quiet (hope I haven't tempted faith).

My patience with the Yipper has reached breaking point, its been the same again the last week or so, just non-stop yapping from 6 or 7 in the morning for 2 or 3 hours - its completely ludicrous, the dog clearly isnt happy... Am contacting Cuala first thing on Monday

Loyatemu/Matti I think we're all having the same problem with the same dog so maybe if you guys (or anyone else in the Grove who has the same issue) all ping them too it might add some weight to the complaint & perhaps something could be actioned. :mad:

I'm sorry if I sound like Victor Meldrew here and I know dogs bark, but this is just utterly ridiculous - everyone in the whole neighbourhood must be being woken up.

• Advertisement

eleMental, just pm'd you about this...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nite11owl

Maisy wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised that the ISPCA couldn't do anything - a constantly barking dog is a stressed dog, they need to be taken out regularly, a change of environment, - poor little sausages....

I have two small terriers and they are in the garden when I am out during the day, with comfy kennels, - I check with the neighbours now and again to make sure they are not being a nusiance and am told you wouldn't know they were there - I would hate the thought of them barking all the time. I have a walker who takes them out during the day or I take them out in the evenings if she can't make it - they are indeed a huge commitment if you want to look after them properly.

I presume your on about appartments in Dublin???
    If you are its the DSPCA not ISPCA totally different funded organisations

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi all,

the procedure for going about putting an end to this noise is a hard one as there is no exact way however i approached it like this.
    1. i went to the house which is directly behind me and found owner explaind situation and got a pretty rough land.
    2. I then canvassed a few neighbours who said "well done " but some had already tried and gotten the F%$K Off message.
    3. Rang the guards who said to ring the council who also suggested talking again. They also suggested double glazing (ha ha). Its like a re enactment of hound of the baskervillas.
    4. Spoke to girl in county housing in Wicklow she advised to keep a log between ourselves but could do nothing directly as house is not rented.
    5. Sent solicitors letter from group of neighbours (some wouldnt put name to it) cant blame them really but from morning to 3-4-5 next morning howling and constantly barking is enough.
    6. No reply from letter so contacted ISPCA as animal is being left outside all day from early to late and is never walked etc etc.They cannot do anything directly i send photos fromtop of my shed showing his back yard fouled up and filthy.
    7. Working out a way with solicitor at moment for a noise abaitment order to be served on said idiot.
    So in a nutshell have not gotten anywhere really 7month old baby and constant interupted sleep for best part of 9 months is just enough. To top it all up now on this board listening to the little b£$%&*d outside. :(

As you know I am an ardent dog lover (lol) but I am not a stupid or inconsiderate one - since when did the sound of children playing become on a par with dog turd ? Children are part of life and life is going on all around us - whats next, the sound of someone sneezing when they have a cold ??

In my naievity I assumed that anyone with a dog would have the sense to clean up daily, disenfect and hose down the yard regularly, esp in the hot weather.

There is some poor creature near me who howls and also a puppy, in another property, who cries all day. I was concerned that folks might think its my guys but I can assure you its not - the only time they really kick off is when they need to ( a great deterrent, but the postman just laughs at them now)

I am astounded reading this thread and the attitude shown by the so called "dog lovers" - it distresses me to read of animals being kept as outlined, but I also feel greatly for the people being disturbed by them and I sincerely hope that you get satisfaction, they are type of owners who give all dog owners a bad name.:(

Btw I often get people PM'ing me with doggie queries and to those who do, I got a dog door put in recently and its fantastic - they can hop in and out to the garden whenever they want - the vet told me the way the are looked after, they should live to be 100....

Afraid ''Pig in knickers'' does not like children and thankfully her and weener do not have any. apparantly it requires that at least one of them should have a penis and that does not seem likely.

Sorry mods and I wouldn't have a clue who they are anyway, but rotfl

I don't have children but I certainly have no problem with the sound of them - indeed its one of lifes pleasanter white noises ! Nowt so strange as folk.

I know I tend to rabbit on lol, I just can't help it - I am one of those rare creatures who often runs out of room on voicemail..... where was I.... ta for the good wishes Hammie

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Can we keep the personal comments and/or pig anatomy lessons offline please?

Edit - I've removed a couple of posts as they are personal remarks about people that can probably be identified. Any issues, please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Loopers

Hi there,

I can't believe this dog owner! I've had dogs all my life growing up (who were kept outside) and this problem is easily solved. No joking aside - a glass of water over the dog when they're barking will usually solve the problem. While it can be a bit annoying at the start what with going in and out (even early in the morning) eventually the dog will associate the barking with something negative. Although it might sound a little cruel it does work and in the long run the dog isn't harmed. All dogs have to be trained and taught how to behave. This owner is lazy and insensitive to the neighbours around them. :eek:

Advertisement