Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Chrysler PT Cruiser - whats it like?

Options
  • 27-04-2007 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

This car is an unusual looking species, I kind of love and hate its appearance in equal measures. I'm just curious as to what its actually like as a car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I nearly bought one based on looks.

Unfortunately, when you sit into it, touch the interior plastics and actually drive it, it all stops making sense. The petrol engine I tried isn't terribly refined or powerful and it doesn't exactly handle either. On the plus side, 2nd hand ones are suitably cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

It...looks......terrible..... Are you serious???!

It's a chrysler, it means its an American-engineered couch on wheels. Handling is so sloppy the kids will be sick and the engine sounds like Twink on acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Standard petrol version is so underpowered, it's anaemic.

Only van... sorry, car I ever drove which slows down on upward motorway slopes (no matter how far the accelerator is down). Handling wasn't so bad, surprisingly - not much of that typically yank 'sideways wobble' at all.

Good space, though, and I'm rather for the looks than against - the convertible version I find quite fab' as a real 'family-sized' ragtop. It's got that mid-to-late 40s look to it:

2006_Chrysler_PTCruiserConvertible_ext_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's supposed to be competing with small MPVs but it's more like a normal car

When they first came out, they quickly turned into a fad. Loads of people just had to have one and they loved the retro looks. A few years later the fad had gone and most people started to think the PT Cruiser just looks a bit silly. Second hand prices collapsed, which is good if you intend to buy one now

Why don't you take it for a test drive and decide for yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

My Uncle's on his second, and my mate bought one when his wife had a baby. No complaints from either over the past few years...I personally like the looks and they are comfy enough as a passenger, but I wouldn't buy one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Personally I like the looks, but am not the least bit surprised that a lot of people don't. I think I prefer a design that has people divided rather than some bland yoke that doesn't offend or excite anyone. Unfortunately though, it appears that it has nothing else going for it, so if you don't like the looks, there's no upside to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Even the American's hate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

eoin_s wrote:
    Personally I like the looks, but am not the least bit surprised that a lot of people don't. I think I prefer a design that has people divided rather than some bland yoke that doesn't offend or excite anyone. Unfortunately though, it appears that it has nothing else going for it, so if you don't like the looks, there's no upside to it.

Do I take it you like FIAT's Multibleurgh, then? :D

How's that for a dichotomy - I positively despise the Multipla, but I quite like the PT Cruiser :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ambro25 wrote:
    Do I take it you like FIAT's Multibleurgh, then? :D

How's that for a dichotomy - I positively despise the Multipla, but I quite like the PT Cruiser :confused:

What I meant to say is that I like it when a design raises strong feelings one way or the other, not that I will definitely like the design itself.

Advertisement