Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler, burner recommendations

Options
  • 27-04-2007 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good make of boiler and burner (oil) for heating a terraced 3 bedroomed house with 9 radiators? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Also,where might i purchase said items?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I have heard the Rielo RGB burner is the best in the business. Not sure what boiler you will find them in but we had a Firebird Heatpac outside boiler and it gave no trouble.

I've seen them in Barrets in Maynooth and they also have the slimline ones

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bought a grants multipass year before last riello rgb burner seems to be pretty efficient (compared to ratty old thing with burnt through baffle plates ).
    didnt go for condensing as have standard rads and dont think you get much extra efficiency for the cost.

http://www.grantengineering.ie/boilerhouse.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

A grant vortex condensing boiler can give an efficiency up in the 90 percents. Have you considered a wood pellet boiler which after the €4200 sei grant could cost you very little. Some people do have issues about the availability of peelets but hey, oil aint gonna last forever either. Check out www.askaboutenergy.com if you have energy related question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

The firebird boiler that lex is talking about is a great boiler ,very neat and will cost you less to install .
    We got one before christmas for a customer and had the whole job done in a couple of days (7 rads)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

_Brian_ wrote:
    The firebird boiler that lex is talking about is a great boiler ,very neat and will cost you less to install .
    We got one before christmas for a customer and had the whole job done in a couple of days (7 rads)

The Irish made boilers are as good as any. Grant, Firebird and Warmflow are good. There is another make I find a bit agricultural. For me the burner has to be Riello. Either the G3 or RDB. All the modern boilers run better on kerosene. If you have to use gas oil (diesel), the G3 is better.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭CONMIKE12

Thanks a lot for the info guys,would it be possible to install these myself or would it be recommended to get a professional to do the job?I don't need to replace the radiators or anything just connect the boiler up to the existing system.

The firebird boiler that comes with it's own housing ,is preset.
    You just need to hook it up ,dont worry too much about having the oil tank up higher than the boiler .Theres a device you can buy called a Tiger loop ,that lets you have the tank on the same level as the boiler.

http://www.pattersonoil.co.uk/tigerloop.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭CONMIKE12

Thanks brian,where i'll be putting it the tank will bne higher than it anyway.Any recommendations on a good place to buy it? Does the boiler and burner come all ready fitted together ? I had a look at the fittings that are going into my old boiler abd i reckon with time and patience i could connect one such as you have mentioned. Just need to know where to go to purchase it.Thanks for all the advice so far in any case,it;s been a big help.

Conor ,all I can say about where to buy is shop around ,ring around. Don't get caught up in buying everything at once ,get a price for the boiler on it's own from a few places .

With regards to the firebird unit ,everything is setup for you ,including the built on flue. All I had to do is stick on a frost stat inside it .(Don't worry about that too much)

Advertisement