Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebrity & Showbiz fans, shallow?

Options
  • 27-04-2007 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

How come many people think taking an interest in celeberties and their lives is shallow? I mean they live more interesting lives then us don't they? And what else would we have to talk about, the weather?

Is following the latest celebrity news shallow? 17 votes

No not shallow at all
    0%
    Yes it's shallow
    52%
    D-GenerateBuffyBotStargalmhairesalittle missMiss Fluffpurplegeko**Stardust***beanie_angel2 9 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    47%
    Karl HungustuxyKojakBlowfishDark ArtistMayMaydaenislady_j 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Atari Jaguar
    Yeah its shallow, but I can admit Im shallow. Havent quite got the patience for war and peace when sitting on the bus so heat magazine suits me just fine! However I dont think celebrities lives are more interesting- its just they appear so polished on tv etc ( a polishedness that normal minions like us can achieve) so it is fascinating to try and get a glimpse of their non-polished selves. Its just like watching a soap opera IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

Being interested in celebrities can mean that you are 100% shallow and it can mean that you aren't shallow at all. It depends.

If you judge everyone on their material possessions, looks and wealth, then you are shallow. If you are interested in a particular celebrity and measure their worth on their work and achievements, and you value this above their appearance or wealth, then you aren't.

So...I don't think it's a yes or no answer....

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Atari Jaguar
    If your celebrity and showbiz interest can be defined as 'Heat magazine' then f**k yes.

But like CherieAmour said, there are more useful and respectful ways to be interested in celebrities and their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

It's better than gossiping about that girl who sits over there ---->

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Yes it's shallow
    The chubby one who's having a bad hair day? Or the one with the badly-applied eyeliner who's cheating on her boyfriend and telling everyone about it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭little miss

Yes it's shallow
    I think it depends. If that's ALL you're interested in, they yes, you are shallow. But if its one a number of things, no, not at all. Its just fun, gives you plenty of stuff to talk about and is quite entertaining. I don't always want to read a serious novel when I'm travelling or relaxing - celebrity gossip entertains me and helps me pass the time when I'm bored!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

tuxy wrote:
    And what else would we have to talk about, the weather?

This is why, the fact that ye don't have anything to talk about other than celebrities. Ye must be pretty boring in that case, and some would say shallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Yes it's shallow
    This is why, the fact that ye don't have anything to talk about other than celebrities. Ye must be pretty boring in that case, and some would say shallow.

Yawn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

I think shallow's a bit harsh but I do think it's awful how obsessed the world/media is with celebrity more so than anything else.

It's just gossip on a massive scale.

Advertisement