Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tar tar everywhere

Options
  • 27-04-2007 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I have built a raised bed and steps in my garden using railway sleepers (backbreaking work end of last summer) Anyway this year due to the hot weather the several of the sleeper have started to leek Tar. I have been scraping in of but its a messy job and it just keeps reappearing. Some of it is on the top of the sleepers but some is running down the sides of the raised bed onto the ground. I am worried for our dog but it also gets onto our cloths and generally looks a mess.

If anybody out there has come across this problem and found a solution I would be very grateful the sharing of knowledge, or is scraping it off the only way to go?

Cheers in advance for reading this and advice given.

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

ddoes1 wrote:
    Hi, I have built a raised bed and steps in my garden using railway sleepers (backbreaking work end of last summer) Anyway this year due to the hot weather the several of the sleeper have started to leek Tar. I have been scraping in of but its a messy job and it just keeps reappearing. Some of it is on the top of the sleepers but some is running down the sides of the raised bed onto the ground. I am worried for our dog but it also gets onto our cloths and generally looks a mess.

If anybody out there has come across this problem and found a solution I would be very grateful the sharing of knowledge, or is scraping it off the only way to go?

Cheers in advance for reading this and advice given.

Dave

Think you're on a loser here, it's virtually impossible to stop them leaking, get rid of them and get some tannalised ones. Apart from being messy the creosote is toxic and carcinogenic. The only other possibility is that it is leaked fuel or lubricating oil that has contaminated them, in which case an engine degreaser or detergent and a power wash might help but if it smells like creosote then it's creosote. Not what you wanted to hear I know. Personally I use 3" scaffolding planks for raised beds, every bit as effective and nowhere near as heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Throw sand over the tar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You will have to lift them. Old sleepers leek tar and creosote which will destroy any clothing touching them, and it's toxic. They are only suitable for the sides of raided beds where no person/pets can touch them. Sorry:( :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

as above Im afraid, thats why the tarred ones are usually cheaper...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sharps

Hi,
    Can anyone advise me what to treat new sleepers with. I will using them as a four foot retaining wall in my garden

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

sharps wrote:
    Hi,
    Can anyone advise me what to treat new sleepers with. I will using them as a four foot retaining wall in my garden

Buy them ready treated or tannalised.

Advertisement