Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

c/locking fault

Options
  • 27-04-2007 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

a chap at work has a '96 honda civic saloon, and the c/locking has stopped working, just wondering has anyone seen this problem before and could suggest a possible solution.
    I checked a 7.5 amp fuse labeled "interlock unit" not blown.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Is he using the key or a remote fob? If he's using a remote then try the c/l by physically turning it in the door. If it won't work with the key from the drivers door try the passenger door in case it's a fault with the drivers door lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

crosstownk wrote:
    Is he using the key or a remote fob? If he's using a remote then try the c/l by physically turning it in the door. If it won't work with the key from the drivers door try the passenger door in case it's a fault with the drivers door lock.

Some old central locking systems may only be controlled from the driver's door. Putting the key in the passenger door might only open the passenger door itself. My father had a Carina like this years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

Thanks for the repiles, the car doesn't have a fob, it's just the driver's door that centrally locks, there isn't an internal button either, like some makes.
    I was hoping for a "quick fix" something simple, unfortunately life doesn't always work out like that!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

It might be a loose connection on the central locking motor. Have a quick look at this. If the motor is gone, you should be able to pick one up iun a scrap yard or get a reconditioned unit.

Just remembered I had a similar fault on a civic I had years ago. The motor was held in with 3 screws, but one had come loose, this prevented the central locking from working. Have a look behind the door card.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks for the repiles, the car doesn't have a fob, it's just the driver's door that centrally locks, there isn't an internal button either, like some makes.
    I was hoping for a "quick fix" something simple, unfortunately life doesn't always work out like that!:)

The central locking motor could be knackered.

Can you hear the central locking trying to work when you turn the key in the driver's door or does the driver's door just open and the others don't?

A good auto electrician might be your best bet if you don't know your way around the electrics. If the motor is knackered you may be able to pick up a used one in a scrap yard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

Thanks for all your help! as I said it's a work mate's car, so the ball is now back in his court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Does the central locking work on a vacume pump system?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

mike65 wrote:
    Does the central locking work on a vacume pump system?

Mike.

Not on civics

Advertisement