Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High-Def v Normal TV Screenshots?

• 27-04-2007 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hey,

Still debating whether I should shell out for a new HD TV instead of my 26" CRT! Does anyone here know if there is a site where I can have a look at screenshots of a game on a High-Def TV compared to the same on a Normal TV?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

If you have a PS3 or 360, you could bring it along to a Sony store. If you're interested in buying one, the'll let you hook it up to one of their high def TVs. I saw a guy doing this in the Sony store in Drogheda. He brought in his 360.

They let him hook it up and test it out. Have to say the pic quality looked excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

That's good thinking - I've been wondering about the same thing and I wouldn't have thought of doing something like that.
    I'll have to keep it in mind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well a computer monitor is HD. So you can see that. If you use your S-Video to your tv then you'll see what its like in SD.

I did this with GTA San Andreas. There is a difference but overall I just preferred playing on the tv for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I made a post here a while back comparing PGR3 on an HDTV and an SDTV, dunno if you would be able to find them though. The answer however, is yes, it's well worth getting the HDTV. Personally I am of the opinion that without X-box live and an HDTV then the 360 is pretty worthless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭anto1208

ID fully recomend it , i got a 360 and had it on my old TV thinking there cant be that much of a difference untill i saw my mates , its way better , so i rushed out that weekend and got a 42" samsung its class . An LCD is a little brighter than Plasma Plasma is a little smother than LCD for watching footy etc but both are fine as long as your sorce it HD .

I got a surround sound with it and now i get totally lost in games for hours .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

Yeah have been looking at HD v non HD videos on gametrailers.com & I think I'm gonna have to give my SSIA the hit & get myself one ;)

I find it nearly impossible to read small text on games on my normal TV, it's so blurry. I'll def be getting Command & Conquer so will nead to be able to read stuff...

Cheers for the info... Now just have to decide which TV to get :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭anto1208

My tv is a 42" samsung Plasma , I got it in Dixons for 1400 down from 2000 i was in there last week and its down to under 1200 . well worth it great TV i thought it might be too big and hard to see because im so close ( about 6 -7 feet ) but with the PS3 and Xbox its crystal clear , class with blue ray aswell .

Best are Sony ( expensive ) or LG & Samsung of the cheaper good quality ones id stick to them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Sony aren't held in the that high a regard from I've read and the price for their tvs isn't worth it. Panasonic seem to be quite popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

i got a 26'' samsung off komplett.it about 6 weeks ago for €549 and i dont regret it, especially now since its gone up to €629, colors are much more defined over component as opposed to vga on my pc monitor but picture is not as sharp still a massive step up in my opinion. i also use it alot for movies from my pc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye i was under the impression that panasonic was the best. then samsung and philips were up there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Keep an eye on the bargain alerts thread for bargain TVs.

Here's the latest thread on the subject. [Linky]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

I got the 32 inch Bush hd tv from Argos and it has been brilliant and it only cost me 599 euro which is a great deal worth checking out..
    But if you want a bigger tv than that go for the Panasonic 42 inch its huge and the sound out of it is amazing I bought it for the girlfriend for 1400 but say you could bring them down a bit on it (Bought in Power City) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Cheap Sony TVs are terrible, there high end ones are decent.

Go with a Panasonic all the way.

I work with two guys who design and evaluate video decoders and they test their parts in all types of TVs. So I am just repeating what I have been told by experts in the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

What about LG? I've heard they are pretty decent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

calex71 wrote:
    i got a 26'' samsung off komplett.it about 6 weeks ago for €549 and i dont regret it, especially now since its gone up to €629, colors are much more defined over component as opposed to vga on my pc monitor but picture is not as sharp still a massive step up in my opinion. i also use it alot for movies from my pc.

I got this one as well, have to say it's one of my better buys - great tv

Advertisement