Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't find yeast for pizza

• 27-04-2007 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

Hi ho,
    I'm trying to make pizza from scratch as per http://www.billyreisinger.com/pizza.php , but I'm having some trouble finding two things,

the first is active yeast (non-quick kind). I've tried the megadebopolopilis of Dunnes and Tesco's but they only have the quick kind used for making bread. Does anyone know anywhere that I can get this?

The second is a pizza screen, wire meshed kind of thing. I have a pizza tray, a 12" thing with say 30 big-ish holes in it but I don't know if this will do or not.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I use doves farm yeast for my pizza's, It is a rectangular vacuum sealed pack that is orange in colour and it works very well for me.
    I also use their strong white flour.
    I haven't seen those pizza screens but maybe you could use a spatter guard if you take the plastic handle off it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I have the same type tray. Works fine. I also just usa a baking tray. I keep my bases thin, and they're more crispy on the pizza tray one, but I like both types.

I just use bread yeast (McDougals or something). Like Doves it is a quick yeast. All this means is you don't have to prove it a second time, but I usually do. Don't know why your man is dead against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

I also use the quick yeast and the tray you have, they both work fine. I find that if you make the base thin it works out fine.
    One tip I have for you tho is if your oven has a setting for the heat to only come from the bottom you can put the tray on the wire shelf near the bottom and cook for the first 12-14mins using that element only and then finish it off with 2mins fan oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Cheers for the replies,

so I can use the McDougal's quick yeast stuff and the pizza tray with the big holes and get away ok with it without having to do anything else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I tried the spatter guard idea out last night and I must say it makes a really crispy base.
    I used to use a shallow 12" flan tin but the spatterguard works even better as it has a handle to remove it from the oven.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 biaduit

I've seen live yeast in the fridge at Fallon & Byrne a few times. Tend to use the dried stuff myself find it's the flour that makes the real difference using hard bread flour rather than the normal plain flour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

You have basically three kinds of yeast for bread making: Active Dried, Quick (also known as "Instant"), and Fresh. Using Quick over Active Dried won't make so much difference in terms of flavour. Quick yeast is superior over the other two in that it is the most concentrated of the three kinds (see below), it keeps longer, and that you can simply add it directly to the flour instead of re-activating it (as for the active dried) in a warm water and sugar solution.

100 percent fresh yeast = 40 to 50 percent active dried = 33 percent quick

As noby said, the Mcdougalls Fast Action Dried Yeast is a Quick yeast, which would work fine for a pizza dough, and is readily available in both Dunnes and Tescos. One thing I would do differently to Reisinger's recipe is to leave the dough in the refrigerator overnight, to allow for extra flavour development - there is a another great Pizza recipe here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

a smattering of semolina flour is also important for the base of a pizza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The best investment I have made was buying a pizza stone

If your interest you could get you yeast the natural way, by a grape starter

Here is a link http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/bread/recipe-grapeyeast.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I use this recipie with McDougalls Fast Action Bread Yeast (available in Tesco, Dunnes etc). Change the servings to 12 in the webpage above and you get one standard 7g sachet recipie.

This makes me 4 good sized 9" + pizzas.

I usually make one and freeze the dough in three separate freezer bags - freezing doesn't kill the yeast at all.

If I've spare time I just make a pizza base and cook it for a couple of mins and then freeze it for future usage.

Once you have made home made pizza you won't want to go back Domino's etc.

No e numbers, tastes better and costs less.

Also get a pizza stone, well worth it :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

if the yeast is dried (I don't know if you can find fresh yeast in ireland) just dissolve it in a glass of tepid water. One of the most important thing, in this case, is to use the right mix of flours, I would use a consistent percentage of extra-strong flour (I'm talking about 18% protein), some strong flour (over 12% protein) and just a quick percentage of OO flour (10% protein), once you get the right mix, the yeast will behave better =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Hey, made my first pizza going on what I had, instant yeast, pizza tray. It turned out pretty well for my first time. Shaping the dough proved a bit of a challenge

You're right, I couldn't go back to Four Star/Dominos after doing that. It's great knowing that what you're eating you made from scratch and it just tastes more... authentic than that crap you buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

grasshopa wrote:
    Hey, made my first pizza going on what I had, instant yeast, pizza tray. It turned out pretty well for my first time. Shaping the dough proved a bit of a challenge

You're right, I couldn't go back to Four Star/Dominos after doing that. It's great knowing that what you're eating you made from scratch and it just tastes more... authentic than that crap you buy.

Amen, bother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 linker3000

If you're really keen to try fresh yeast, try asking in your local bakers shop - they may sell or give you some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Superquinn sell fresh yeast. I always use fresh yeast. It gives a far better flavour.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

grasshopa wrote:

Heya, myself and the missus make pizzas, I don't think you should particularly mind about getting it round tbh. Good luck, they taste great when made yourself, and I hate pizza.

Advertisement