Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to service the bike...?

• 27-04-2007 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Need to get my bike serviced since I am a total n00b with no tools.

Change of chain, rear sprocket, front brake pads and oil change..

I used to service it at Macs but they are out of a mechanic for a while.

Anyone know any descent place around D3?

I only place I know is bike world but have a feeling that I would need to pay twice as much there as anywhere else..

Any good suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Theres Megabikes on Camdon st (spell)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What bike...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

I use M & A Motorcycles on North Strand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭cutepape

a Africa Twin 650cc.. so one of the earlier models. still runns though and I like it :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

why not invest in a set of tools and a haynes manual and do it yourself.

you can a lot of help here also.

I tried to get someone to change a starter clutch on a LTD750 1982 and ended up doing it myself.
    did everything step by step in the haynes and had great satisfaction when she started first time when I re-assembled it.

worth considering.
    anyone you know to give a hand - mechanically minded?.

K

• Advertisement

I have the haynes manual.. but really have no where to take the rear wheel of etc.. live in a apt on 4th floor so no chance on even getting the bike in the apt :(

If I had the space and tools I would try and do it my self..
    Karltimber:
    I would feel really proud if I managed to do it my self and it worked :D
    (silly I know.. but true.. its a mans thing.. getting things apart then back again.. its pure satisfaction)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Ken whelan off mount street could probably do most of that in an hour. Go past holles st hospital, down mount street toward ballsbridge and he is on the left before the canal. It is little lane on the left at the side of the shop. There is only one shop there. A lot of the couriers go there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

^ ive being going to ken's (autocycles) for years, hes pretty decent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If its important you use D3 then M&A are Ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Scotts bikes on Dorset street

• Advertisement

Called M&A earlier this morning.. Guy who answered was helpfull over the phone. So guess I'll be writing comments later on when service has been done :D

Wish I had a house with a big garage.. incl lifting bench, tools etc.. and.. TIME.. would be great be able to mech around with the bike..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

Anybody ever had their bike serviced up the North?

Do they "fix" the brakes on the bikes of Free Stayit Bawsturds, or what? ;)

I vaguely remember hearing that their standards are quite a bit higher than down here, and was wondering if it might be worth a spin up. I'll try almost anything once.

Got the bike back this morning.
    They changed a lot. Feels like a new bike again. They even saw that pilot light bulb had gone and changed it.

Thanks for rec of them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Do you mind saying how much...?

€480 total.. think 330 was parts..

Almost ashamed of how much that had to be done.. but this is what they changed/fixed..

Two rear wheel bearings
    Chain/sprocket kit
    4 sparkplugs
    oil filter
    engine oil
    air filter
    front brake pads
    brake fluid
    colant
    topped up the battery
    stripped the front brake for cleaning
    and the pilot light bulb..

I knew I had it coming.. Have been to busy riding the bike to and from work and never taken a time out to fix it :mad:
    Will def. service it more frequently.

I know that I could probably saved alot doing it all my self.. but at the moment its time, tools and somewhere to do it that prevents me from giving it ago myself :(

So far I have nothing bad to say, the experience and cust service I got from M&A was great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

do you mind posting in a broken down price list ?

how much were the wheel bearings ??

I found M&A to be a bit of a rip off from past bikes, I think you were overcharged there but I'm unsure of the bearings price (perhaps someone will comment)

I use that bloke up on love lane, off mount street. worth ringing ahead though as he's always busy with the couriers.

I'm dropping my NSR into him on thursday for lots of work (stolen and crashed) and I intend putting the costings up here to see if I was ripped or not . fingers crossed

Fionn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭bjmotors

BrynW wrote:
    Scotts bikes on Dorset street

yep stef is very good. he's movin over to the southside tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I heard of people told to Feck off (only the nasty version) out of here from M and A when they went back with problems from stuff they bought there. I wouldn't go near the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've had a bad experience with M&A, wouldn't go back.

However, I would recommend GP Motorcycles, Amiens St. It's just down the road from M&A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

bjmotors wrote:
    yep stef is very good. he's movin over to the southside tho.

Yeah, he was telling me last time i dropped in. He didn't know when at the time. You got any idea? He will be a lot closer to my house so i can annoy him more often now :p

• Advertisement

Ah sh*t... I knew it :(
    Always have bad luck with these things.. Not from IRE so have no idea where to turn for repairs etc..

Need to get new tyres soon too.. but Guess M and A are out of the question then.. typical..

Still.. bike works great after I got it back.. so cant really complain about the work they did. I probably was overcharged abit but Im novice here and wouldnt know.. :(

Well, fuggit! Can you believe there isn't a single official Aprilia dealer in this country? Looks like I'll actually have to ride up to Lurgan to get the bike serviced, if I want to keep the warranty.

Phuph hucks ache! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ducati Dublin recently took on Moto Guzzi and I believe they took on Aprilia as well.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Fionn101 wrote:
    do you mind posting in a broken down price list ?

how much were the wheel bearings ??

I found M&A to be a bit of a rip off from past bikes, I think you were overcharged there but I'm unsure of the bearings price (perhaps someone will comment)

I use that bloke up on love lane, off mount street. worth ringing ahead though as he's always busy with the couriers.

I'm dropping my NSR into him on thursday for lots of work (stolen and crashed) and I intend putting the costings up here to see if I was ripped or not . fingers crossed

Fionn

That bloke you are talking about must be Ken Whelan. He is autocycles, and I mentioned him earlier in this thread as being off mount st. He is very down to earth and straight. I have been using him for a couple of years and is very reasonable and capable. He has service bikes for me and even changed an engine on a fully dressed XS11 when I asked him to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

ninja900 wrote:
    Ducati Dublin recently took on Moto Guzzi and I believe they took on Aprilia as well.

yea I'd heard that too.. and havent heard a bad thing bout the standards of service out of duc dublin, other then you really pay for the privilage ;):p

What about Mega Bikes?
    Not dublin 3, but past the shop a few days ago when I was out walking. They seemed pretty customer friendly.

HAve to check out autocycles too.. seems like a decent place from your comments :)

If I was living back in swe I would know exactly where to go etc.. but new country Im just so confused :(

Would like to get a new bike.. but insurance companies want €2.5k in insurance for a -03 ktm.. *crying from the soul*

I appreciate all posts here.. helped me a lot from the verry start 3.5 years ago :)

According to Aprilia themselves, there's definitely no official dealer here. :(

I know it might be glaringly obvious, given the experiences of some, but I wonder why BikeWorld are no longer an Aprilia dealer.

Anyhoo, I reckon finances dictate that I'll be using anywhere other than the likes of Ducati for servicing.

<batman>To the Haynesmanualmobile!</>

Advertisement