Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Ham Fined

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Snap! Just beat me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hard to know what to make of these punishments, clearly the hefty fine beats 3 points lost in the Hammers circumstances.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

But if they get relegated, then that cash coulda came in handy......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Seemingly Tevez can't play in any more of the games either. Could be very costly for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

DaveMcG wrote:
    But if they get relegated, then that cash coulda came in handy......

The Sky parachute money will keep them sweet if they do get relegated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

besty wrote:
    Seemingly Tevez can't play in any more of the games either. Could be very costly for them.
    From my duplicate thread:

According to SSN they also have 24 hours to sort out the Tevez contract or he cannot play for West Ham again. AFAIK they have to make sure that there is no 3rd party ownership (which would seem unlikely, as I'm sure MSI won't just give him up like that) or else sort out a loan deal, which is why Mascherano is okay at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

They should relegate and fine West Ham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I think they'll look after the first part themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

This was all a messy affair to begin with - it looked highly illegal at the time and that has panned out to be the case.

Whilst not reading the report, the FA must also be partially to blame for 'allowing' it to happen under their watch. If they had doubts about the players situation, then surely they should have just prevented the 2 players from playing.

And its still murky in the sense that Tevez's situation (and clearly he has been playing and helping a lot and helping to get West Ham points), was tenuous at best.

The English FA probably would have been perfectly within their rights to dock West Ham the same no. of points gained in each match he has played in. However, that would have resulted in automatic relegation for West Ham. I'd say a lot of negotiations have gone on behind closed doors.

The issue may not go away completely however, especially if West Ham stay up, as I'm sure other clubs will make appeals. Also, the players and their agents must have been complicit in 'bending' the rules.

dodgy all round ..... and from a Liverpool perspective, I hope it doesnt affect Mascherano.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I keep having to point this out...the Premier League had jurisdiction in this matter, not the FA.

The charge was a PL one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Then why is Gordon Taylor chipping in
    PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor believes West Ham escaped a points deduction because of their predicament at the bottom of the Premiership.

I'd tend to agree with him, WH should have been docked points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

yeah they got off relatively lucky. still can't see them staying up though, but then again you never know. maybe the PL were thinking that some of the interest in the relegation battle (and hence TV numbers) would be affected if they effectively relegated West Ham with the points deduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

zabbo wrote:
    Then why is Gordon Taylor chipping in

Asking me? If so, I'm not sure of the relevance...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Fair play to the PL for using some common sense and not docking them points causing them to be relegated. The whole Masch/Tevez thing smelt to high heaven, didnt take a genius to figure out and I'm glad they didn't get away with it.
    Still though, it's perfectly ok to take the clubs table position into account when considering a point penalty, let's be honest things don't look good for West Ham and I think a points deduction would be pointless (unintentional pun:o) in this case.
    As for Tevez, send him up to us in Villa Park :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't know, I really want to stomp this MSI type thing out, so it wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world to see West Ham get docked points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Asking me? If so, I'm not sure of the relevance...:confused:
    just kinda ranting ;)

Fines are a bit meaningless to PL clubs, hit them where it hurts, dock points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

besty wrote:

He has been cleared to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I feel a points deduction and a smaller fine would have been more appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I wonder what took so long to come to this decision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

As in every decision, they never want to really punish the clubs, which docking points definitely does. Fines never really work in any walk of life when you're talking about multi million pound businesses. Sure MS were paying £1m fine daily in the EU and still making profit.

Also gives a license to the big rich clubs to do as they please, even if they get caught, the fine would probably be only equal to the gains they made anyway (and the chance of being caught is low).

However, whenever points docking does happen, it inevitably gets appealed and appealed for ages, making lots of clubs future uncertain as they never know what they are playing for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement