Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snips won't sell a feminine wig to a man

• 27-04-2007 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Just rang them and this is what they told me. Any idea why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Say it's for yore ma.

I have no idea really. Did you ask them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Go in with a female friend to buy it, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Thanks..felt a little discriminated against to be honest...had heard that they specificaly don't cater for Transgender...(for what reason I don't know)...and well probably considered me a variation of that. How does one define a feminine wig anyway? Could I perhaps get a long haired mans wig and have it cut?
    Best wishes to all,
    Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'm fairly confident that they're obliged to sell you whatever wig you want by law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

rb_ie wrote:
    I'm fairly confident that they're obliged to sell you whatever wig you want by law.

I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

rb_ie wrote:
    Nearly right - They're not obliged to sell you anything. But it is a breach of the Equal Status legislation for them to discriminate based on gender or sexual preference. Contact the Equality AUthority if you want to take it further.

Thanks..I'll visit their store in person first...and if the same attitude prevails I will then consider pursuing it further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭artnotort

you probably take them to court and buy a lifetime of wigs with the compensation.

It's apparently an established fact that they specificly don't cater for Transgender...I wonder why exactly that is? Are they afraid that it might lower their credibility and bring 'undesirable sections of the nation' there? It isn't that important to me...I can live without a wig...but there is still a sense of discrimination...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I guess their rationale is that the majority of their female customers may well be uncomfortable at the best of times when buying a wig (chemotherapy, alupecia etc) and this discomfort may be heightened if they find themselves surrounded by men. I'm saying that this discomfort is right, but it probably is reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd say the wigs ain't cheap... and at the end of the day a sale is a sale.
    I'm quite shocked that they refused to sell them to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭louisecm

I'm really shocked at that policy! In principle its just plain wrong, and they should definitely be taken to task over it, but in terms of you getting your wig in the short term, you could always just bring a girl with you? You shouldn't have to, obviously. Bastards.

Yes I can understand that rationale...that Transgender and T.V. clients could unfortunately unsettle others..well possibily in some circumstances. For the record I'm not personally transgender although I have had a quite a lot of interaction with that community. Feminine undoubtbly but my body is very much male and I don't see the need to alter it..apart from the nuisnace that is facial hair! I have asked myself the question of whether I'm T-V...but think labels can be misleading...how does one after all define a T-V? Is it a woman who wears a shirt and tie? Is it a guy who wears eye shadow?...many many shades of grey....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

I am really shocked, and have to deeply, deeply apologise because I believe it was me who sent you there.

I was absolutely certain that they catered sensitively to transgendered, or at least TVs. I was even sure I'd been told that they have private fitting rooms (which would also make sense for women suffering severe alopecia for whatever reason as many of those would not like to be seen by anyone else without a head-covering of some sort). I was obviously very, very wrong, and I can't understand how I got so completely skewed an idea, unless it's simply that in the intervening 6 years or so that management and policy has changed, which I suppose is possible.

But it's also possible that I just got completely the wrong end of the stick, and that my memory played a horrible trick on me :/

I was so certain though, which is why I didn't even say things like "I think..." and "As far as I remember..."

I can't apologise enough, and I have no idea why they wouldn't sell any sort of wig to whoever wanted to buy it, whether they go so far as to "cater specifically" or not. After all, a customer is a customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Filan wrote:
    It's apparently an established fact that they specificly don't cater for Transgender...I wonder why exactly that is? Are they afraid that it might lower their credibility and bring 'undesirable sections of the nation' there? It isn't that important to me...I can live without a wig...but there is still a sense of discrimination...
    "Established fact" doesn't overrule the law. Take it further, report them and kick up an almighty fuss over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Its a private business, they don't have to sell you anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Sangre wrote:
    Its a private business, they don't have to sell you anything.
    but they still cannot discriminate which is clearly what they are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭artnotort

i'm no expert but do wigs not have to made different sizes for men in contrast to women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Men's head tend to be bigger.

I'm no expert either but my uneducated guess would be that on 'On average men are bigger than women..heads included'..but only on average..there is some petite men..there is some larger women.

I made enquiries some time ago with a hairdresser in Limerick and they said they would order me one...only snag is that they don't have them on the premises to try on..only to order...a friend with alopecia uses the salon in question

• Advertisement
Advertisement