Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading front / back door security

Options
  • 27-04-2007 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

One of my neighbor's was broken into yesterday there door was kicked in. We all have the same type of wooden door front and back with 3 point locking systems.

So Im looking for a way to upgrade the strength of the hinges and locks on both my doors without having to buy new ones.

Anybody got any good ideas or know of someone in Dublin who could do it for me.

Cheers,
    Automan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Id say it was the lock side rather than the hinge side that was kicked in.
    Youd have to shear the screws to kick in hinges.
    For locks you can add another/more mortise locks and/or bolts on the top/bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

The hinges do not look that strong, there like a screw but instead of a head they have half a hinge attached to it, one part screwed into the frame with the other part going into the door. There are three of these hinges so in total 3 screws keeping the door to the frame.
    I dont think that you can use normal hinges as the door is not flush sits about 1 inch from the frame.
    Was thinking of putting these on the hinge side (Hinge bolts):

http://www.locks.ie/Z_HingeBolts.shtml

But not to sure what to do on the lock side as it is a 3 or 4 point locking system (not sure if you include the latch) and if I was to drill through it ill probably wreck one of the locks. Example here (look at the drawing bit):

http://www.locks.ie/images/products/PAY070.jpg

Advertisement