Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend Prem Games (are we getting nervous yet?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blackburn Rvs 4 - 1 Charlton

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

bucks73 wrote:
    Anyone see the Mourinho interview on sky before the game today. He looked shook. Serious bags under the eyes. Souness was saying during the week that many had taken on Fergie in a war of words and come off second best and he thought Mourinho was another to come off second best and it was showing. He did not look well today. Pity about him.

Mourinho's been looking worse and worse for the past weeks steady now. he was very much dejected today after the draw, looked a man defeated. the arrogance didn't totally disappear, kept talking about tuesday and how its the most important game in Chelsea's history (surely Ranieri's semi was equally as important?), but still he didn't say it with much conviction. so it's not looking good at the moment... but then again, you never know what to expect with Chelsea.

Ferguson in contrast looked the happiest man on the planet (bit premature maybe?). it's gonna be an interesting week.

The body language/demeanour is to lull Rafa.

Mike.

Sheffield Utd win by one.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

even though he done absolutely nothing when he came on.

Except got the header for the second goal, then got another kick on it, until Neville put it in.

Ronaldo made a difference when he came on, you want proof, 4-2 :)
    He didn't even play well for him, but was still key to the game :)

That was such a great time :) Fergie was jsut great at the end, gestering that it's over, chelsea drew 2-2 :)

You know what the best part about this is, no matter how we win it, it'll be sweet.
    If Arsenal beat chelsea and we beat City, we win it at City.
    If both teams win next week, we can win it at the Bridge, with just a draw.
    If both teams win next week, we lose at the bridge, we win it at home :)

Personally, I don't care where we win it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Winning it at the Bridge would be so sweet after what happened last season. Especially if we managed to break their unbeaten record there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

An amazing day. To think at one point it was only goal difference that separated United and Chelsea.

Agree with PHB above, no matter which of the 3 it happens in, it'll be great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Or we could lose next week and lose at the bridge, where would we be then ?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

I'd imagine for the United supporter the best would to be win it next week so then when you go to SB maybe just maybe they will line out the chelsea players and applaud the man united team as they come out, like what fergie did before. Great great season overall and so much more to come. Brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

smemon wrote:
    utd are 5 points ahead (in reality 6 if it comes down to goals), so they can draw against city and lose to chelsea, and still be crowned champions by beating west ham on the last day at home...

provided of course chelsea beat arsenal and utd, which is a big ask :cool:

all in all, it IS over :D
    was it west ham that denied ye in the last game of the season a couple of years ago :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Man utd beat City next and its over only need a point from 2 games and i think Arsenal may sneak it on sunday.

hammers 3-0 :) so close to staying up.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead wrote:
    Why do you think that? Bolton have only scored once against them in the last 4 matches between the sides. And that was a 5-1 defeat.

Fair enough, they may get a goal but recent history would suggest they won't.
    I......was......cough...splutter......w...r....o...n..g. Jesus that was hard, so thats what it feels like to be wrong. What a horrible feeling. Won't be doing that again.

Obviously a set of great result for United today but West Ham will also be delighted knowing that they may well be going to Old Trafford on the last day of the season playing a United side who've already won the league and who may well be resting all their big guns for the FA Cup final 6 days later.

was it west ham that denied ye in the last game of the season a couple of years ago :)

1995 it was , the year Blackburn won it.

Haven't Liverpool Fans Great memories.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The Muppet wrote:
    Haven't Liverpool Fans Great memories.;)

They have, but when it comes to other teams it only extends back "a couple of years". :)

Fantastic display by The Devils today, thought myself it was all over after Evertons second but with Ronaldo on the bench it had to be an interesting finish.

Did I hear correctly today that big Sam (Bolton) was calling it a day !? I like him, an honest type with no pretences, just like his teams. If it's true I'll be sad to see him go.

Oh by the way, COME ON YE GUNNERS !!! I bet it'll stick in their gullets that if they beat Chelsea next week they'll be helping United win the Premiership again, mmmmm !

Looking forward to seeing Sunderland against United next season and hearing the chants, There's only one Keano, from the Sunderland fans !!!! Crisis of conscience time I think for United fans.

ZEN

ZENER wrote:
    Fantastic display by The Devils today, thought myself it was all over after Evertons second but with Ronaldo on the bench it had to be an interesting finish.

Did I hear correctly today that big Sam (Bolton) was calling it a day !? I like him, an honest type with no pretences, just like his teams. If it's true I'll be sad to see him go.

Oh by the way, COME ON YE GUNNERS !!! I bet it'll stick in their gullets that if they beat Chelsea next week they'll be helping United win the Premiership again, mmmmm !

Looking forward to seeing Sunderland against United next season and hearing the chants, There's only one Keano, from the Sunderland fans !!!! Crisis of conscience time I think for United fans.

ZEN

I always though United would get back into it today even when we were 2 down, (Those red blinkers come in handy sometimes)

I would prefer united win it at Stamford Bridge but as long as they win it I'll be happy. I think Arsenal will get something from Chelsea so it could all be over next weekend.

Big Sam must have something lined up, rumours of Man City and Newcastle being interested, Both big clubs, I wouldn't be surprised to see him at either. ( I wonder did he get his 2 kisses from Fergie)

Keano in the Prem: Fair play to him. Now there is another set of fans that will always regard him as a Legend. I hope he continues to do well and I would love to see him in charge at OT in a few years time or whenever fergie decideds to retire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Nice win for Villa again, Young and Carew combining to score the first and Moloney won a free kick and scored it then, thats 3 new signings involved in two goals, Carew will be effective next season and Young looks very promising. Nice to finish the season with a few away wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Hammers are owed a hammering by Utd....

1)Beat us 1-0 this season.
    2)Robbed us in 95
    3)Robbed us in 92

Sizzler wrote:
    Hammers are owed a hammering by Utd....

1)Beat us 1-0 this season.
    2)Robbed us in 95
    3)Robbed us in 92

Nice to see you two teaming up again there boys. Has certainly been a while. Obviously you missed the post I quoted mentioning that United could draw v city, lose to Chelsea and still win the league. I was just pointing out what happened last time ye thought Man U ONLY had to beat west ham to win the league.

And as you can prob see above, United fans seem to have a bit of an extended memory too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I was just pointing out what happened last time ye thought Man U ONLY had to beat west ham to win the league.
    actually, that is incorrect, at the time we needed to beat west ham, and for Blackburn to fail to win at Liverpool; so it wasn't that we ONLY had to beat West Ham.

• Advertisement

Blackburn lost though, so ye only had to beat west ham..

Blackburn lost though, so ye only had to beat west ham..
    irrelevant. going into the game, the requirement wasn't only to beat west ham.

Not all that irrelevant, Man United needed to beat West Ham to win the league. If they did not win then they could not win the league so Man United did need to win the game regardless of whatever else happened, If United did not win the game, they could not win the league as is evident since that is what happened. That is fairly relevant, now the poster stated that the team could afford to lose to chelsea, draw at city and then beat West Ham and I was just pointing out what happened when people fell into that trap before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The Muppet wrote:

Keano in the Prem: Fair play to him. Now there is another set of fans that will always regard him as a Legend. I hope he continues to do well and I would love to see him in charge at OT in a few years time or whenever fergie decideds to retire.

Sunderland to win the premiership next season? ye heard it here first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

What's this about Keano? Sunderland can still be in the Championship next season can they not?

Yep they could finish 3rd and loose in the play-offs.

Mike.

That's correct, second is not wrapped up yet, although it is close to being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If Derby don't win tomorrow, Sunderland are guaranteed 1st or 2nd spot.

If they do win, Sunderland will just need a point from their last game (v Luton, rock bottom) to be promoted.

Edit: Getting slow in my old age.

Derby need to win tomorrow to make it a last day thriller, a draw would be no good as thier goal difference is 8 worse than Sunderlands.

Mike.

• Advertisement

There are no guarantees in football, how many times do we see relegated teams play with abandon and a confidence that belies their league position.

There are no guarantees in football, how many times do we see relegated teams play with abandon and a confidence that belies their league position.
    which is why i am hoping for a united win, and for arsenal to get a result next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

was 15 years ago when West Ham drew at home to United.

I think United have it, but nothing is in stone yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think West Ham have a very tough day at United, cause even if we do win the league before then, and if we do I'll be so happy, we owe them for them taking the league for us. United fans will remember that, and urge the team on. They will want to send West Ham down as revenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

PHB wrote:
    I think West Ham have a very tough day at United, cause even if we do win the league before then, and if we do I'll be so happy, we owe them for them taking the league for us. United fans will remember that, and urge the team on. They will want to send West Ham down as revenge.

Man City haven't scored at home since new years day. They were woefully against Villa yesterday. I believe we will beat them next weekend (I know this will be one of the biggest games of the season), and I also beleive (or maybe it's more hope) Arsenal may get a point from the Chelski game next weekend. If this were so we might be winning the premiership @ the bridge. Now wouldn't that be special :)

On the other hand we may loose against City and Chelsea and it may go down to the last game. As we saw yesterday football is a funny game. Nothing is ever guaranteed.

PHB wrote:
    Nah I'm not having that. West Ham play the game the way it should be played and Ferguson has a soft spot for the Hammers. West Ham treated United with nothing but respect when there was a minutes silence at Upton Park a few days after George Best died. Ferguson said something about a love between the two clubs.

As well as that Rio will be up against his brother Anton and he won't be bursting a gut to send his mini self into the Championship. Nope, reckon the Hammers can get a result here if the league is already wrapped up at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Trilla wrote:
    was 15 years ago when West Ham drew at home to United.

I think United have it, but nothing is in stone yet

Jesus I remember watching that game and almost being in tears afterwards. You sure it was 15 years ago? Man I feel old.

RasTa wrote:
    Jesus I remember watching that game and almost being in tears afterwards. You sure it was 15 years ago? Man I feel old.

It was 1995, 12 yeas ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Gods of football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

daveg wrote:
    Man City haven't scored at home since new years day. They were woefully against Villa yesterday. I believe we will beat them next weekend (I know this will be one of the biggest games of the season), and I also beleive (or maybe it's more hope) Arsenal may get a point from the Chelski game next weekend. If this were so we might be winning the premiership @ the bridge. Now wouldn't that be special :)

On the other hand we may loose against City and Chelsea and it may go down to the last game. As we saw yesterday football is a funny game. Nothing is ever guaranteed.

Yeah the lads on MOTD were saying that last night. 10 goals in 17 home games which is the worst in the league. Thats pathetic and I would be shocked if United didnt beat them. I know usually form goes out the window for a derby but citeh are brutal.

As for west ham on the final day, it doesnt matter if the league is won or not beforehand or if they are down or not, every team tries its best to win their final home game of the season for their fans so I dont see anything other than a United win. And a comprehensive one at that. Can wait to see them gone. Just like leeds yesterday.

bucks73 wrote:
    Can wait to see them gone. Just like leeds yesterday.
    Why? Would you rather watch Fulham or Wigan instead next season? At least the Hammers have a few players who have the ability to excite.

• Advertisement

I couldnt give a toss about what other teams players can do.

bucks73 wrote:
    Ah right, sorry buddy, confused you for a football fan. Pigheads mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

bucks73 wrote:

That's a lovely mentality you have there.

scojones wrote:
    That's a lovely mentality you have there.

Pighead said he would rather see west ham stay up than wigan or fulham because they have better players. What I am trying to say, badly, is that it the bottom 5 or 6 sides are all poor anyway and I am more interested in Uniteds football than anyones elses.

Pighead wrote:
    Ah right, sorry buddy, confused you for a football fan. Pigheads mistake.

United fan first and foremost.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

mike65 wrote:
    Derby need to win tomorrow to make it a last day thriller, a draw would be no good as thier goal difference is 8 worse than Sunderlands.

Mike.

Well Derby failed to win today, they lost 2-0 to palace, so that does indeed mean that both Birmingham and Sunderland are now promoted to the Premiership.

Congratulations to both Stevie Bruce and Roy Keane.

Arsenal dicking on Fulham here. 1-0 already. Would be more if Baptista could shoot. Don't see Fulham getting anything from this game.

Aquos76 wrote:
    Well Derby failed to win today, they lost 2-0 to palace, so that does indeed mean that both Birmingham and Sunderland are now promoted to the Premiership.

Congratulations to both Stevie Bruce and Roy Keane.

Congratulation to both teams, I'm not surprised to see fergies former players doing so well in management after all they did have a wonderful teacher.

This is getting ridiculous again. Misses + saves, but no goals... since the opener anyway

What a howler from Lehmann. He may need to be replaced in the summer. 1-1

• Advertisement
Advertisement