Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW E60/iPod/Parrot Problem.

Options
  • 27-04-2007 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question - someone may have come across this one before.

2007 525D with iPod interface. iPod will not work through the BMW audio system. Now, from what I can ascertain, the iPod functions through the CD changer control system in the audio system. I now discover that the installed Parrot HFK has it's audio routed through the audio system. I'm starting to think that if the Parrot is connected via the CD changer audio input it may be blocking the iPod connection. Has anyone come across this before? I have contacted the Parrot installer to verify where he has made the audio connection, but as yet he has to call me back.

Any thoughts and/or experiences that anyone has to offer would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭patsyh

Do a search on this forum http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27 Think that issue has come up alot and it should work the same way for your car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

If its Parrot system there is a possibility that is connected using a mute-lead, which when a call is made or received, mutes the radio and breaks the speakers circuit, redirecting the sound through the unit fiited (part of the mute-lead). Don't think is using the cd changer port, but I can be wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

louie wrote:
    If its Parrot system there is a possibility that is connected using a mute-lead, which when a call is made or received, mutes the radio and breaks the speakers circuit, redirecting the sound through the unit fiited (part of the mute-lead). Don't think is using the cd changer port, but I can be wrong there.

I reckon this is probably the case, but, I want to eliminate it before I send the car back to the dealer. It's possible that the dealer will charge me for labour if the fault is attributed to the Parrot as it's an aftermarket jobbie.

I've had a rough week with BMWs.......................(which is unusual).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

if you know the fitter that did the Parrot, try getting some info from him before you go the BMW or at least take it off for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Which iPod interface are you using? The BMW Retrofit one? The BMW USB Port available from the factory? Or an aftermarket one? Let me know, along with the exact model of Parrot kit, and I'll find out for you.

• Advertisement

Thanks ned. It's an OE USB interface - ordered with the car through KOL - so I'll assume that they ordered it from the factory. It's the one that's in the glovebox along with the AUX socket. I'll try and get the Parrot info on Monday.

When the iPod is connected the screen (iPod) simply displays "Ready to Disconnect"

Are you saying there's a USB port in the Glovebox too? Or just a dock connector?

ned, I haven't seen the car in question - but from talking to the customer, it is the one that has the AUX and the USB sockets beside one and other. Yes, AFAIK, it's a USB connection in the glovebox - this is an optional extra.

That could be the problem so. We were issues a bulletin this week, with a part number for a special cable to drive the iPod from the USB port. The standard USB-iPod cable that comes with the iPod will only charge IIRC.

You've hit the nail on the head, I reckon!! I never thought to ask the driver what USB cable he was using. Doesn't the new BMW cable use both the USB and the AUX?

I read something about this on a BMW forum a couple of days ago.

Cheers ned - do you happen to have the part number for this? I don't fancy trying to explain the scenario to Frank Keanes - they are useless at stuff like this!

• Advertisement

Just the USB. The USB Interface was originally designed for pendrives only, the iPod functionality comes from this new Cable. I'll find the part number on Monday for you, and post it on thread in case anyone else Googles the same problem.

Grand so. Once you post it I'll order it from parts in KOL.

Thanks for your help!

My pleasure, just glad to help really. First thing Monday I'll have the part number on here.

Hey Crosstownk, the part number is :

61 12 0 422 099, and my mistake too, it uses both the USB and Aux connectors.

Nice one ned! Thanks a lot - much appreciated! I'll order it and let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

Ok - it turned out that the customer already had this part fitted. So I got the guy that installed the Parrot kit to remove all his connections and still the E60 won't recognise the iPod. The iPod recognises the BMW. There is no indication of the iPod on the iDrive system. I'm gonna head out and hook my own iPod to confirm that it is a BMW problem. When connected the iPod shows the BMW logo and displays "ready to disconnect" as it should but it still doesn't recognise the iPod on the iDrive. I'm getting the impression that I'm overlooking something simple.

Any ideas, ned78? I doubt its an Apple problem - I've been an Apple user for years and am so used to reliablity :D

Just an update - I had the car at Frank Keanes today. It appears that the iPod interface was retrofitted at KOL. As the car was ordered from the factory with no CD Changer or iPod interface there was a small fibre optic device (something to do with MOST) that blocked the optical signal. The tech in Frank Keanes had the correct device which allowed the optical signal to pass through and all was well.

Glad to hear it. I missed you last post, and didn't get a chance to reply, but the MOST bus would have been my next culprit.

Thanks for your help Ned. I drove the car back to the customer and I must say the whole iPod/BMW setup is excellent.

Right - this is one of these cars that just won't go away!

iPod integration is excellent - EXCEPT, every once in a while the audio drops out - very similar to a CD skipping only this is an iPod so a skip is not possible. The other thing is the radio does the same, and this has only happened since the fibre optic connection has been fitted. It's booked into FKNR for Thursday, but I'm posting in case anyone has encountered this before................... I really don't want to see this car again until it's first scheduled service :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement