Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father of Playstation

Options
  • 27-04-2007 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭

Nice hommage on Eurogamer about Ken Kutaragi, well worth a read.

link
    Kutaragi will never be loved like Miyamoto; he leaves no legacy of instantly recognisable characters and franchises, and his showmanship was always outspoken and arrogant, rather than humble and playful. However, we can hope that in a few years time, when the dust settles on the controversy surrounding the PS3, Kutaragi will be remembered not for the Emotion Engine or jacking in to the Matrix; not for working overtime to afford a PS3 or for the Xbox 1.5; but for having the courage to fight Sony's own management to create a console called the PlayStation, without which many of us simply wouldn't be reading a games website, and for the countless hours of enjoyment people around the world have had with his creations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

sprinkles wrote:
    well worth a read.
    4 pages! Are you sure? ;)

It's on my read later list. I didn't realise he's been at Sony for so long -- I only remember him being mentioned in the run up to the PS3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

That was very well written. Covered all the bases.

It's interesting that they compared him to Gunpei Yokoi, creator of the Virtual Boy. You can have several huge successes and it only takes a couple of big mistakes to essentially have you fired.

The PS3 has ended up costing too much, and they didn't do a good enough job courting developers (is that really Ken's job anyway?) but they should have left him see it through. Who knows if it'll be a success in the long term or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Not-so-nice "farewell" to Krazy Ken: PLAYSTATION LOSES IT[sic] HEAD
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Yeah, I didn't realise it was 4 pages but it sucked me in and as BLITZ said it's very well written. It's a very interesting insight into the huge part he played in our lives

Advertisement