Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New setup

Options
  • 27-04-2007 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Well the new scope arrived :D

Put it up on the .17hmr will get out tomorrow to zero and hopefully will have a feww bunnies with it next week.

Seems i spend more time online rather than shooting these days... oh well the summer is nearly upon us and being a student that means ill have alot of time to shoot bunnies :)

Opps :o forgot to say its a Hawke Target 6-24x50 seems to have very good light tranmission even at 24x will try it out when it gets a bit darker out there.

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

Hope it shoots as good as it looks, cos it looks sweet! How much was the scope can I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Niiiicccceeee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Aye, looks well but what happened your Muller?

I shot my best group a few weeks ago with the HMR, 5 shot group @ 3/8" @ 100m :eek: .

Oh, & get that grass cut :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

The Mueller is in a box i have mixed feelings on it im tryin to tweak the setup to get the best out of the rifle and i feel the xtra mag might help me a bit.

I also over tightened the screws and squeezed it a bit as well so i dont really want to use it on a hunting gun just incase it looses zero and will always be niggling in my mind so this should put it at rest, has a nicer reticle, love the turrets and as i said the extra mag.

Thanks for the commets guys hopefully me next post will be some sub moa groups and a whole bunch of rabbits

Zeroed today only 2 three shot groups dont have the paitance to shoot more. :oops:

Pulled one but they're both acceptable anyway. :/

Should be out on the bunnies tomorrow :D

100yards

DSC00009Medium.jpg

DSC00011Medium.jpg

1/2" edge to edge centre to centre i think a little over 1/4"
    DSC00012Medium.jpg

1/4" without flyer
    DSC00013Medium.jpg

With flyer 1/2" centre to centre
    DSC00014Medium.jpg

Cut the grass ;):D
    DSC00016Medium.jpg

DSC00018Medium.jpg

DSC00021Medium.jpg

If you notice alot of them are dirty and have lead powder all over them though about cleaning them but didnt want to upset those groups
    DSC00026Medium.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

Sorry Psitta, but am I the only one who thinks the set-up in the top picture gives the impression of being, potentially, quite dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Id say you are one of very few Sandy , why do you think its potentially dangerous?, looks like a nice setup psitta, keep us informed!!!

I think he means bolt closed and pointed towards a house in the pics..

And the fact that the back stop seems to be a tree....

Looks a fantastic rifle though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Look more like farm buildings to me.
    He probably wasn't firing in that direction though, just the pictures give that impression..... :confused: .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Just to ask psitta, how do you find the "zoom" on the scope after 12x. Have a swift optics 6-24x50mm. While its a good scope i find after 12x/16x at
    100yrds it doesnt make much difference???

• Advertisement

Are the targets not pinned to a tree?? Behind which is the shed.

Are the targets not pinned to a tree?? Behind which is the shed.

I think the picture is misleading, there is a decent bank below the tree but the shadow obscures it.

either way psitta is a knowledgeable shooter and probably knows the land much better than us, so I'm sure it was safe

edit: great shooting mate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerri

Sandy22 wrote:
    Sorry Psitta, but am I the only one who thinks the set-up in the top picture gives the impression of being, potentially, quite dangerous?

Not the only one,Sandy. From info in the picture and psittas own admission he zeroed the rifle and then shot those groups. If he has set up in that location to zero then it was extremely dangerous, possibly shooting an un zeroed rifle with an inadequate backstop with buildings behind. This is a great picture for anyone who wishes to highlight shooters as irresponsible and in the case of the photograph shown they would be justified, as it is irresponsible. Look beyond the nice rifle and nice group and seriously ask yourself if you would be 100% happy shooting at what appears to be the target in the hedgeline, if your answer is 99.9% happy then you agree that it was irresponsible. However if you would be 100% happy to take a shot at the target then you should get some quality firearms training as you are also irresponsible. Comments are based on information provided by psitta and the detail in the photograph, not speculation or clouded by the excellent group sizes. Consider carefully before replying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Actually I though that Sandy22's comments were directed at the first photo which showed the rifle with magazine inserted and bolt closed.

To all intents and purposes that's a loaded and cocked firearm. :(

The photo with the bolt closed was taken in my garden and obviously yes i checked it was empty im not in the habbit of keeping live rounds in my gun ammo is stored seperate.

As to where i zero it there is a high wall behind those trees the rifle was boresighted and then starting at maybe 8yards to get it close to the bull then back to 20 then to 43.

Using ballistic tip bullets i've no problem whatsoever with firing at a stone wall the bullets will just fragment none of them hit the wall anyway the tree is big enough to catch all of them.

As for being potentially dangerous well of course i could always fire straight over the wall which is at least 2 metres high but i've enough confidance in my skills not to i can think of things people do you could consider as far more dangerous.

The photo with the bolt closed was taken in my garden and obviously yes i checked it was empty im not in the habbit of keeping live rounds in my gun ammo is stored seperate.

As to where i zero it there is a high wall behind those trees the rifle was boresighted and then starting at maybe 8yards to get it close to the bull then back to 20 then to 43.

Using ballistic tip bullets i've no problem whatsoever with firing at a stone wall the bullets will just fragment none of them hit the wall anyway the tree is big enough to catch all of them.

As for being potentially dangerous well of course i could always fire straight over the wall which is at least 2 metres high but i've enough confidance in my skills not to i can think of things people do you could consider as far more dangerous.
    The problem is that nobody looking at the picture can see that it is unloaded and similarly nobody can see the wall but most importantly nobody behind the wall can see you are zeroing a rifle, and having confidence in your ability does not mean that you cannot make a mistake or have a negligent discharge, as any shooter can. Have you considered where the bullet fragments will go, they don't just drop immediately to the ground and if you are initially shooting at 8yds there is a possibility of injury to yourself from fragments. Nothing you have clarified reduces the potential danger from what you did and we are not discussing what other people do, we are discussing what you have said you do and the pictures you took. Better to admit you were wrong, learn a lesson and avoid irresponsible behaviour in the future.

Get a life mate there's absolutely nothing wrong with what i was doing there.

If you want to red tape off an area before you shoot and only take a shot with 30ft high backstop theres your desicion but thats my rifle i take responsibility for any shot that leaves it and make sure that each shot is safe.

@newby 204 yeah after 10x theres not as great an increase in zoom if you start from two the big increases are when it doubles in size so 2, 4, 8, 16 and i tend to leave it on 16 for 100yard shots and 8 for closer work or low light shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

psittacosis, you're taking a very confrontational path here in response to safety concerns expressed here by some members, which I would share. Several people expressing those concerns are experienced shooters, whose opinions are worth bearing in mind.

For the record, are you an experienced rifle shooter?

I'm taking a confrontational path because i dont like being accused of being a dangerous shot by someone i dont know who doesnt know me and i basing they're argurment on a photograph taken at an angle 100yards away.

As for being experienced i've 3years rifle shooting.

If you want a detailed description -

The land i'm shooting from is slightly higher than the target so i'm shooting down into a target at the base of a tree there is a 2metre wall directly behind the trees and there is more land behind that and i'm not shooting in the direction of any farm buildings.

Every shot i took hit the paper and concequently went into the tree.

What more do you want i can think of better places to zero the rifle but that doesnt mean that thats in any way unsafe. If you cant keep a shot on an A4 sheet at 100yards i dont think you should be shooting at that distance and i made sure the rifle was on centre before going back to 100yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

be careful of the tree huggers dont hear about this,next thing youll be accused of poisining trees with lead !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

At 100 yards, and to be within the accepted safety angle you need a backstop of 11.83m in height.

Not suggesting you do this for zeroing a rifle, but that's the required height for a range with no baffles and no danger area behind the butts.

If you shoot with a lower backstop (and the accepted minimum is 5m) you must mark off a danger area which can extend beyond the butts by up to 1000m depending on the ammunition used.

I am just saying all this because in shooting the first word is safety followed by safety and safety. You may well be experienced enough to be able to factor out all the inherent dangers in your setup, but publishing photos like that is a bad example to others less experienced.

Accidents can happen to anyone no matter how experienced, and I'm saying this from a standpoint of 30 years experience in shooting.

Fair enough although on a range you can appreciate that there will be a certain amount of people using it who have no experience and it is used very frequently thus significantly increasing the risk and the necessity for a higher backdrop.

I used that place for zeroing my rifle and it gets very little use i normally use another place where i have permission which is "safer" and fire off no more than 50 shots a time and take great care for accurate shot placement.

I think enough's been said on the matter and next time i think i will refrain from posting any pics that appear misleading or else bring alot of red tape with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Gerri wrote:
    The problem is that nobody looking at the picture can see that it is unloaded and similarly nobody can see the wall but most importantly nobody behind the wall can see you are zeroing a rifle, and having confidence in your ability does not mean that you cannot make a mistake or have a negligent discharge, as any shooter can.

I have to agree, although I can see the rifle bolt was open, the area behind does not look safe. Safety when shooting is paramount. Irrespective of what you say about a bullet fragmenting it can ricochet in any direction and not nesessarily fragment on impact, trust me, I have made a couple of mistakes in the past under intense training, fortunately they were in controlled circumstances.

I have read your threads starters and replies to threads psittacosis and I am impressed with your knowledge for your apparent age. This is not a knocking but a reality check to the safety which I am sure you are well aware of. We all want to shoot with safety and the knowledge we are safe when we shoot.

All the best...

TJ911...

Look this is complete BS

The only way that situation is unsafe is if there was an accidental discharge with the rifle tilted at an angle. No matter where you use your rifle that applies. You actually would have to find an area with no living creature for a mile and a half in every direction.

The rifle was bore sighted (so no chance of wildly inaccurate shots)
    Tested at close range into a soft target to centre
    100 yards slightly down a slope into a soft target with hard back stop.

I'm sorry but the only way that was dangerous was if there was an accidental discharge which applies to us all equally every time we handle a firearm.

Also bringing a shooters age in to this is crazy. He has 3 years experience. He could be 50 with only 3 years experience.

A lot of us seem to differ in opinion.

civdef wrote:
    A lot of us seem to differ in opinion.

Would you like to explain why you think it unsafe?

The only way that situation is unsafe is if there was an accidental discharge with the rifle tilted at an angle.

Newsflash - AD's happen, you need to allow for that in picking a safe place to shoot.

Because of the treeline, you can't see what's behind the backstop, so you run the risk someone could be in very close proximity to the rear of the backstop.

I'd think long and hard about firing a single shot at a rabbit from that location, certainly wouldn't be in a hurry to start zeroing a rifle there.

civdef wrote:
    Newsflash - AD's happen, you need to allow for that in picking a safe place to shoot.

But that's my point, AD' do happen. A bullet from a rimmy will keep enough energy to kill someone for what, over a mile? A centerfire even further.

Does that mean that you never go shooting unless there is a 3 mile wide circle of nothing around you. No, you reduce the risk as much as possible. Which by the sounds of it Psitta did.
    Because of the treeline, you can't see what's behind the backstop, so you run the risk someone could be in very close proximity to the rear of the backstop.

Funny I cant see behind many backstops myself the ol' x-ray specs clapped out on me. :p

Look I realise what you are saying but all you can do is keep ensuring there is no-one there. Its fine at a range someone I'm sure is employed to check there are no nutters down range or behind any backstops. Off the range you use common sense and check it regularly
    I'd think long and hard about firing a single shot at a rabbit from that location, certainly wouldn't be in a hurry to start zeroing a rifle there.

Not saying its the safest place ever but it seems adequate to fire a few sighting shots.

I am of the belief that if psitta says it was safe that he checked it. None of us were there and cant judge the situation 100% from a photo so give him the benefit of the doubt

civdef wrote:

Thats why you be careful and you dont load the gun unless you want to shoot and are on target you can reduce the risk greatly. It would be different if i was firing alot of shots but with zeroing you take time
    civdef wrote:

I thought the point of a backstop was to soak up your bullets someone could easily walk behind there perfectly safely however it would still be unwise which is why i always check with the farmer before i go out go up and chat to him about what ill be doing make sure he's happy and that noone will be about where im shooting.
    civdef wrote:

Look all you can see is a picture taken at a distance i can assure you not a single bullet hit that wall let alone went past it as i said i dont usually zero the rifle there and have a more ideal place but that still doesnt make that unsafe.

• Advertisement

Look all you can see is a picture taken at a distance i can assure you not a single bullet hit that wall let alone went past it as i said i dont usually zero the rifle there and have a more ideal place but that still doesnt make that unsafe.
    gerri wrote:
    Comments are based on information provided by psitta and the detail in the photograph, not speculation or clouded by the excellent group sizes. Consider carefully before replying.

Obviously, some of you missed my original comment above and also Sandy's. People seem to be getting upset over the fact of the shooters apparent young age, his experience etc. None of it is relevant, the concerns were over his own comments and the information visible in the photograph, nothing else. Relax sit down with a cup of tea and THINK before ranting. For all us "experts" who know exactly what happens in situations where we are not present, ask yourself if you were shown the photograph and also psitta's comments on zeroing in THIS instance but without knowing who the shooter was, would you still be happy with the situation as presented in the photograph and the accompanying text? Please give it a lot of thought before replying. This is not a bash psitta situation, just trying to point out that when presented with information in a particular manner and without knowing who is involved or having any knowledge of firearms the situation presented looked potentially dangerous and irresponsible.

Advertisement