Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting the best Deal

Options
  • 27-04-2007 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Any1 have any tips when going into a dealer and buying a car?

Does paying in cash automatically drop the asking prices of cars?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Usually paying cash will drop cost. Ask for cash price, then look at the car and argue downwards for each issue. Dealers are almost always more expensive than private sales. I wouldn't go near them myself.

If you like having a crap 3 month warranty, then it may be a different story. A good mechanic will tell you if a car is any good from a private sale, I dunno why people bother with garages, they're so greedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Know what you are looking for first, do your research on the model and know what trouble spots to look out for. I would imagine cash and a quick sale would get you a good discount. Know how to haggle, and bring along a mate that knows about cars if you do not know much yourself to look you for points you can use as haggling points(ie interiour wear, bodywork scratches, mileage etc). Look at the prices of similar cars in the autotrader to give you an idea of the price for the particular year and model. Also, dealers may be willing to give discounts on cars that were customer trade ins. Finally, I read somewhere that white cars are the hardest to sell on a forecourt so that may help you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Not trying to hijack the thread, sorry OP.

By paying in cash do you mean without any trade in and you can pay by bank draft, business cheque, etc? You get a discount as the dealer doesn't have to take a trade in.

Or by paying in cash do you mean physcialy paying with bank notes and the dealer gives a discount and maybe doesn't declare the sale or some other devious idea?

Just wondering...........

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Normally "paying in cash" for a car just refers to not having a trade in.

Advertisement