Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgading Eircom 1MB to 2MB,check my line attenuation?

Options
  • 27-04-2007 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Bit of advice have the following
    Line Attenuation 22/14 dB
    om my present Netopia and as have been doing a good bit of photo uploading recently though I would give the 2MB a go.
    Is my line good enough to give me an improvement upload/download, or is it more a case of testing it and finding out.

thanks

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dohouch wrote:
    Is my line good enough to give me an improvement upload/download, or is it more a case of testing it and finding out.thanks

3mb min if not 5mb on that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Thanks thats good news. Was onto Eircom today said they could do it in 24hrs and I wouldn't be tied to a new conntract, already with them 8 months. Unfortunately their system was down, so will wait till Monday of maybe Tuesday.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

I tried to upgrade from 1mb to 2mb last week with BT and they told my line wasnt suitable for 2mb. My stats from a zykel modem are as follows
    noise margin upstream: 31 db
    output power downstream: 5 db
    attenuation upstream: 20 db

noise margin downstream: 24 db
    output power upstream: -1 db
    attenuation downstream: 42 db
    Are they correct in saying this line is not suitable and is there anything i can do to improve it.
    Thanks

I think they are wrong but you may not get the full 2mb with 42db attenuation or may get crcs ( some errors).

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

Hello!

I agree with spongebob, you should be ok with 2mb though you might not get the whole bandwith though close enough..

Get back to them and tell them that your 24 db of SNR and 42 db of Att should be fine and if the prequal shows green for 2mb then give it a go.

• Advertisement

And don't complain about BT in here if there is a problem with the substandard eircom owned line, just downgrade again to a stable 1mbit or go withDigiweb metro who can maybe give you 3 mbits.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

How do you check your attenuation? I'm thinking about upgrading my parents line. It would be nice to see what the max I can get is.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

How do you check your attenuation? I'm thinking about upgrading my parents line. It would be nice to see what the max I can get is.

Depends on your moden/router - what model do you have?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The standard one that eircom throw in when you sign up for broadband.

Advertisement