Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this worth upgrading???

Options
  • 27-04-2007 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

what you think?
    just for a kids pc and internet!
    john

Operating System System Model
    Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 (build 2195) Compaq Deskpro EP/SB Series
    System Serial Number: 8845CCP31864
    Asset Tag: 8845CCP31864
    Chassis Serial Number: 8845CCP31864
    Enclosure Type: Desktop
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    333 megahertz Intel Celeron
    32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    128 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Compaq 046Ch
    Serial Number: 8845CCP31864
    Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
    BIOS: Compaq 686T1 07/25/98
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    4.30 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    1.98 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SONY DVD-ROM DDU1612 [CD-ROM drive]

Maxtor 90430D3 [Hard drive] (4.31 GB) -- drive 0, s/n V30EY4TA, rev PAS23C15, SMART Status: Healthy
    USB2.0 (FS) FLASH DISK USB Device (518 MB) -- drive 1 256 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM #1:J1' has 128 MB
    Slot 'DIMM #2:J2' has 128 MB
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 4.30 GB 1.98 GB free

Network Drives
    None detected
    Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
    local user accounts last logon
    Hilda1
    27/04/2007 18:08:06 (admin)
    local system accounts
    Administrator
    never (admin)
    never

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account None detected

Controllers Display
    Standard floppy disk controller
    Intel(r) 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
    Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] Matrox Graphics Millennium G200 AGP [Display adapter]
    MED MD30217PG [Monitor] (17.1"vis, s/n 501008688, January 2005)
    Bus Adapters Multimedia
    Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller None detected
    Communications Other Devices

3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX)
    Dhcp Server: 10.13.1.1
    Physical Address: 00:04:75:E8:0A:7A
    PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)
    Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
    USB Mass Storage Device
    USB Root Hub
    Virus Protection [Back to Top]

Mod Edit: Removed unnecessary info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No. It's horribly old and quite literally worthless (in the real value term). Upgrading it would be a waste. Even a 40 euro second hand P3 machine would run rings around that one - so it's not that it's just old, but upgrading the components would not make any sense economically.

edit: I see you're in loughrea, I live in Oranmore. It's a 40 minute drive, but just in case you're ever out this side, working or anything. I can spare you a 800mhz P3 machine for free, but it would have to be collected. It's a basic model, but just swap in the ram from your machine and the dvd-rom and you've got a much better machine (by far the weakest part of your machine is the processor).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I'd really consider HavoK's offer as the CPU is such a weak point in that system.

Also second hand hard drive {or if HavoK is willing to sell you one if he has one spare} would also be of benefit as the HD in it looks to be quite old and a new generation model would definitely help the system move a lot faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

HavoK wrote:
    No. It's horribly old and quite literally worthless (in the real value term). Upgrading it would be a waste. Even a 40 euro second hand P3 machine would run rings around that one - so it's not that it's just old, but upgrading the components would not make any sense economically.

edit: I see you're in loughrea, I live in Oranmore. It's a 40 minute drive, but just in case you're ever out this side, working or anything. I can spare you a 800mhz P3 machine for free, but it would have to be collected. It's a basic model, but just swap in the ram from your machine and the dvd-rom and you've got a much better machine (by far the weakest part of your machine is the processor).

thanks again Havok!
    does it have a graphics & or sound card?
    john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It has onboard sound, onboard graphics (probably essetially the same as what you're using now, basic but functional, I only used it with a radeon 9200 agp card but unfortunately I need this and cannot part with it, so I can't tell you exactly what onboard it is, probably 8mb anyway), seperate network card and seperate 56k modem. It also has a hard drive, but it is rather old, but functional. 10gb I think, so at least its twice the size of your current one! It has a cd-rom drive, so you'll want to be putting your DVD into it as well as your ram. It's a HP Vectra:

Basically, it's not much different from your current machine, except the processor is, old as it is, is infinitely better! :)

hp%20vectra%20vei8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

cheers for the pc !
    all the best
    john

• Advertisement
Advertisement