Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Carrier' line ?

Options
  • 27-04-2007 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I am within 'broadband distance' from my enabled telephone exchange but understand I am on a 'carrier' line from my exchange which is shared with other homes. I believe this allows a number of voice lines to use one wire but is unsuitable for BB. I ordered a new line but was told that would also be a shared wire and it was therefore a wasted effort ! Is there any technical solution to this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Were you told by an eircom engineer working at your house?? Otherwise I wouldn't take his word for granted. I would be shocked if they actually couldn't find another working pair. Especially in urban areas.

"Lightning strikes" can render a pairgain inoperable. But if a pairgain is damaged, that usually means that another house is affected, or sometimes another 2 or 3 houses are affected.

If you want, you can push the issue with eircom, if it's definetely a pairgain issue. Write a letter of complaint and suchlike. Anyway, let us know the details of how you found out about the carrier line.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only ordering ISDN gets you a carrier free/ pair gain free line.

The pair gains are a scandal. it is insane that they will organise a real line for an ISDN order but not for a Broadband order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jackandmolly

When I ordered my new telephone line ( with which I had naively hoped to replace my existing 'unsuitable' line ), I asked the Eircom lady to note that it was for BB.
    When the installation date came the Technician phoned me and told me that there were no 'full' lines available in my area. He was very helpful and appeared genuinely frustrated at the lack of infrastructure. He explained to me that I was on a 'carrier' line - but asked that I did not quote him as the source of this information in any complaint to Eircom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 andmoreagain

watty wrote:
    Only ordering ISDN gets you a carrier free/ pair gain free line.

The pair gains are a scandal. it is insane that they will organise a real line for an ISDN order but not for a Broadband order.

This doesn't always work either. I ordered ISDN and I was told by an Eircom
    Engineering Supervisor that they could not provide it because I was on a carrier and there were no other pairs available. For some of us there's no way out except wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's extremely poor luck. If you're lucky, and I have seen it in some rural areas, including the rest of the road up from my house, eircom will provide new cabling for the likes of you. Eircom's contractors installed a new junction box beside each pairgain and connected the houses on pairgains to the new junction boxes. 8 houses were taken off them, but they're all out of range for broadband anyway.

It's all up to eircom HQ to provide the money for new cabling. You'd want to take your case to eircom management if you want something done soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement