Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing lock on uPVC door

Options
  • 27-04-2007 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Guys, Lost the back door key and was quoted 120 for someone to change the lock.
    The door is open and I have tried to remove the lock but with no joy.
    I have removed the screw that is perpendicular to the lock and this allows the lock to move but I can not get it out.
    Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

ok you need a an angle grinder, b a drill with either a steel or a chrome bit, c a screwdriver,remove the handles etc cut off the piece which sticks out on the inside, ie where you insert the key, have some 1 to push the remaining piece outwards, remove this with the angle driver, drill thro whats left over if necessary, remove pieces, replace the lock, the outside of the piece where the key is inserted is always drill proof thats the reason for the angle grinder,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Aargh, note to self, get more keys cut, leave with neighbours!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi JackieChan

Its a good excuse to upgrade your locks. I went with 6pin anti pick and anti drill and also put a anti- twist around the lock just for good measures. Was pretty cheap DIY. Got the bits off ebay + 3 keys

garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

hi jackiechan,just remove the handles and lock a vicegrip onto each side of the lock,then stand facing the side of the door and push the 2 vicegrips away from you.they breaks very easy. you will be left with a ring in the center ,just pick it out with a screwdriver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I was afraid that If I pulled on the lock that I could damage the rest of the mechanism. I didn't realise the lock could be broken in two!
    I rang two locksmith, one was charging 120 the other 85. No prizes for guessing which one!
    Now have three keys for new lock and promise myself not to loose them again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement