Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orals - Strange Questions?

Options
  • 27-04-2007 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Anyone asked some pretty weird questions in their orals??

In our French oral, the examiner tended to ask some very specific ones to test the students, I know they're supposed to test the better students but some of these were just damn strange, anyone have the same situation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boger

in my irish oral i was asked did i want to be a politican , i answered no,

she then asked me what political party did i support,

i was then asked to name the local politicans in my town,

i was then asked what did they do to develop this town.

to make my oral even worse she wasnt recording my oral from after my sliocht for about five minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

boger wrote:

to make my oral even worse she wasnt recording my oral from after my sliocht for about five minutes.

I hope you didn't say Gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

In my oral the examiner stopped the tape and asked me, as bearla, did I play football for the local team! Had a big conversation with him in english about GAA, he told me I was doing well in the oral. He then told me what he was going to ask me next and put the tape back on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

^lol, cool. He probably reckoned you were nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yeah, said I want to do history...what parts of history I like, that was fine..then, 'Who do you think was right in the Civil War, Collins or De Valera?' Just about managed to make that work. That was Irish obviously, if it was French I'd probably burst out crying or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

well in french i was asked the following:
    -Whats the difference between markets in france and ireland.
    -what was my school like last year.-differences between the 2
    -problems in the town my school is in-apart from litter,traffic,noise.
    -what i thought about the water contamination etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

I personally didn't get asked anything strange, but in the Irish a guy I know got asked, "Why do you think people kill each other?"
    Bit deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

for some random reason during my french oral we began to discuss homosexuality!! was so strange! i was talking about the cultural diversity of city living and then she asked me about homosexuality! and i was like 'ohh one of my best friends is gay!'!! was the stangest oral i had ever had!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

shazzyshaz wrote:
    -what i thought about the water contamination etc etc

Pwned.
    And you were so sure that they wouldn't ask about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

I wouldn't say it was strange, but the irish examiner asked me why I thought football was getting a bit weaker in my area. I tried to talk as much about football as possible after a whole 2 Sundays of watching Donegal matches on TG4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

our examiner for the irish oral was unbelievably nice.the 1st day he came he called all the 6th years into the GP and told us that he wouldn't ask anything awkward in MC but you could say it if you wanted. he asked me before starting what sliocht i wanted to read. and i picked out uimhir a haon. he then said is there anything in particular i'd like to focus on, like sport or a timpiste etc.
    one girl was doing realllly bad in the oral and he stopped the tape and told her what to say! i love it when you get good guys like that!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Pwned.
    And you were so sure that they wouldn't ask about that.

haha true zorba true. but i brought it up myself into problems with galway city! it wouldnt have been brought up only i mentioned it myself!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭KarmaCreep

I was asked in the French Oral why I liked the poetry of Sylvia Plath. I thought I did alright. My friend on the other hand was asked in the French to discuss Leon Trotsky because he had done his special topic in history on him.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

KarmaCreep wrote:
    I was asked in the French Oral why I liked the poetry of Sylvia Plath. I thought I did alright. My friend on the other hand was asked in the French to discuss Leon Trotsky because he had done his special topic in history on him.:eek:
    Ah yeah, ya walk into that when you say your matiere preféré. I'd to mumble some sort of an answer as to what I though of Macbeth, so I improvised by using what I had prepared as my emission prefere (24) and threw in a few phrases from that like, l'histoire est trés passionante.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

I had just started talking about ma famille when she asked, what are the advantages and disadvantages of not having a brother? I also got a sticky one in Irish, happened to mention listening to r na g and he asked what was the hardest irish dialect to understand and did I find conemara easier than tir chonaill, some pretty fast thinking there, came up wit some rubbish about broad vowels and he seemed happy enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I was asked very very basic questions in both my orals. If I was asked about anything other than pastimes, family etc. I wouldn't have had a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Choco

In my French one I was asked would you like to work in Iraq?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

boger wrote:

Same with me. I thought it was crazy, but it is election time!
    I talked about social problems blah dee blah

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

In my German oral I got asked something like ''When is the weather best in Ireland?''.......However I misunderstood the question.I didn't hear the word ''wetter'' and so I thought he was asking something along the lines of ''Where is the best place in Ireland?'', and so after a long pause I finally managed to splurt out ''Um............Cork?'' to which he replied ''Nein, wetter, wetter!''.I felt like such a moron.Thankfully the rest of the thing went pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

was the stangest oral i had ever had!

hahaha!

But the only really obscure question I got in my orals was
    "What do you think about students gossiping about teachers on bebo"
    or something to that effect.. that pretty much threw me for a loop..

I was pretty much left to steer the conversation, which was handy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Dr.Louis

My french examiner asked how my Irish oral went and then what kind of questions was I asked... then asked me those questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 originalcupcake

Dr.Louis wrote:
    My french examiner asked how my Irish oral went and then what kind of questions was I asked... then asked me those questions!

how lazy of them!! hahaha :D

my french went well, she told me i had a beautiful accent halfway through, i was well pleased with that.:o we were talkin about france then aftr that and she was like, if u could live in france, which city wud u live in?? i blagued my way thru that one...'paris bien-sur car, je m'intresse surtout aux sorties, et j'aime bien faire des achets'...etc..
    after she told me aftr that i should be very proud of myself!! so all the hard work paid off!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

A guy was asked what scarves represent (there was a scarf in the document) and some girl said she wanted to be a vet and got asked about snakes being kept in cages-what was her opinion and another girl was asked to discuss what religion as a subject involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Guinea

My examiner asked where I was born, I said America, and then the next question was "And have you ever been out of Ireland?" Was she even listening to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 eimear89

My irish oral exam was very odd. He wasn't listening to me half the time, he was either looking at the clock and he cut me off at the end telling me it was time for his lunch. It also took him an age to ask me a question. Also when I was in a middle of my spiel about school, he started looking under the desk at my legs, which freaked me out a bit! During my friend's exam he started texting on his phone. But it doesn't really matter cos he asked really easy questions and people were able to see what scores he had put for other people, the sheet was right in front of us, people were getting well into 140.
    German oral didn't go as well for me. I got the rollenspiele for the restaurant and when I asked to put in an extra table, she said no which I was not expecting and she was totally unhelpful when I came up with other suggestions like having the meal in the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

bigkev49 wrote:
    In my oral the examiner stopped the tape and asked me, as bearla, did I play football for the local team! Had a big conversation with him in english about GAA, he told me I was doing well in the oral. He then told me what he was going to ask me next and put the tape back on!!

haha pure legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭lifelonglufc

Ya my examiner was a serious GAA man from Cork, so I tried to take advantage of the situation and spent 15 minutes talking about GAA. Was a bit risky sometimes though - he ended up asking me about the controversy surrounding Davy Fitz and the county board in Clare!
    He even knew all our results in the Harty Cup!
    And we even ended up slagging each other about the Clare .v. Cork match in a few weeks! :D

Pure Legend.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

The only weird topic in my Irish oral was on the environment. he asked what effect the Celtic Tiger was having on the environment and I put my foot in it and used third world countries to illustrate how industry pumps loads of CO2 into the atmosphere! I then went on to say that I thought that global warming was utter nonsense and how it's a natural thing! he looked at me rather strangely to say the least!

Our French examiner didn't have very good French. For my document I spoke about the impressionists and the expressionists and she started talking about colour and asked me what the greens and yellows in the paintings I had on the page symbolised! I went on a rant about how they suggested sickness and torment and how they expressed the emotions of the artist blah de blah blah!

Was quite funny though! I don't think she had a clue what I was saying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Shaner-B

i got asked about infrastructure in my town and transport networks with the city!!i was just like wtf!?!? managed 2 blurt out sumtin however!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement