Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl blocking websites...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

NTL aren't blocking it at all. Their DNS servers seem to be a touch screwed though, as they aren't resolving the above domains.

Simple to work around it though.. just add another dns server into your connection profile (I use 194.145.128.1, a BT Ireland dns server).

To do that in windows XP, go to your control panel, network connections, right click on Local Area Network or Wireless Network (whichever one is used for the internet for you) and go to properties. In the general tab, scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), select it and click the properties button. In the new window which pops up, change to the "Use the following DNS addresses:" and put 194.145.128.1 in the first box. You can enter a second dns server in the second box such as the OpenDNS server 208.67.222.222, or leave it blank.

Everything should work as normal then (it is here, and I'm using NTL).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

im ntl, first link worked fine, the proxy link gave me some other page??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Moriarty wrote:
    NTL aren't blocking it at all. Their DNS servers seem to be a touch screwed though, as they aren't resolving the above domains.

Simple to work around it though.. just add another dns server into your connection profile (I use 194.145.128.1, a BT Ireland dns server).

To do that in windows XP, go to your control panel, network connections, right click on Local Area Network or Wireless Network (whichever one is used for the internet for you) and go to properties. In the general tab, scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), select it and click the properties button. In the new window which pops up, change to the "Use the following DNS addresses:" and put 194.145.128.1 in the first box. You can enter a second dns server in the second box such as the OpenDNS server 208.67.222.222, or leave it blank.

Still no go Moriarty :/

Does moma.org time out for you if you use the ntl dns servers?( 89.101.160.5 / 89.101.160.4 )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

It could be mtu problems , maybe whatever is dropping the traceroutes is dropping ALL icmp , which could break mtu discovery. If there is other iffy stuff along the way , the site may not load at all or maybe it'll only load the adverts or something. If its windows , get this :
    www.dslreports.com/drtcp

Something roughly like this may be happening ... you look for a webpage from moma , the server there answers and starts sending stuff back to you , if theres anything along the way that doesn't like the size , it will send an back icmp message to the server , if something is dropping ALL icmp , the server won't know about the problem and keep trying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

could be a routing issue. i would say a faulty router.

Do a trace route from both your ntl and eircom line and see what comes back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

moma.org appears to be having major service problems, I wouldn't use it as a reliable example of problems on the NTL/UPC side of things. Any of the other hosts mentioned here I've been able to access perfectly on NTL cable at home (once I've used someone elses DNS servers).

If anyone knows any techies on the UPC/NTL side of things, a quiet word about their DNS servers would seem to be appropriate. I doubt there's any point trying to raise the issue through first line support as it will almost certainly not get brought to the attention of the people that need to see it.

<edit: also, be aware that different ISPs may well have very different "looking" traceroutes. That doesn't necessarly mean that one or the other of them is broken. There can be hundreds and hundreds of valid routes to reach any one host over the internet depending on where you're connecting from.>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭00sully

changing those dns settings helped me on some of those sites i couldnt view before - thanks Moriarty! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭MiloFoxburr

Moriarty wrote:

Thanks this worked ^_^, Am using OpenDNS as well but the sites still wouldn't load but they are loading now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Just wanted to confirm, Moriarty's fix, did work!

Thank you Moriarty! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mistmyr

Moriarty's my new hero now :)

Major thank you for posting a nice simple to fix to a problem thats been bugging me for awhile now...

I was using OpenDNS for a a short time but not everything was opening for me,
    I knew it was a DNS issue but i guess i was just too lazy to look up a solution...

Again thx

Misty

• Advertisement
Advertisement