Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Sikkens' woodcare colour system

Options
  • 27-04-2007 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Has anyone tried the Sikkens woodcare range? Albany swears by it and reckons the majority of joinery places use it to seal exterior wood doors. Said that Ronseal and Sandolin are like putting 'muck' on your door in comparison and just darken the wood with each coat....

Our Teak door is sealed in a light pine colour, wondered if we should continue with that colour or go for a 'light oak' instead. How would it look if we change to a darker stain?

Has anyone used Sikkens and what do you think about it? Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Haven't used it in a while but I can vouch for it's quality as a finish and it's ease of use.
    That said, there's nothing wrong with sadolins or ronseal per se; they just happen to be consumer products.
    Durability is always dependent on the conditions of where the timber is, what kind of weather it's exposed to and how much of the product is applied.

As for the lesser products merely darkening the wood....um....that's what stain does., regardless of brand. The protective film may be of a higher quality in sikkens perhaps...but tbh exterior timber should be getting renewed every 3-4 years anyway and any stain should endure at least that long.

As for your own door? Yeah I'd go ahead and stick with the stain hue that's on it, unless it has become faded. Either way whatever colour you choose, remember to sand the coat back with fine paper, dust well and degrease with white spirit or meths before you recoat. Thin your stain slightly and apply at least 2 coats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fatchance

shesham wrote:
    Has anyone tried the Sikkens woodcare range? Albany swears by it and reckons the majority of joinery places use it to seal exterior wood doors. Said that Ronseal and Sandolin are like putting 'muck' on your door in comparison and just darken the wood with each coat....

Our Teak door is sealed in a light pine colour, wondered if we should continue with that colour or go for a 'light oak' instead. How would it look if we change to a darker stain?

Has anyone used Sikkens and what do you think about it? Thanks..

I just did the exact same thing with my teak front door with Sikkens CLS sealer and have put two coats of the Filter 7 on as well....looks great.

I bought the Sikkens teak CLS and Filter 7 but having tried it on a sample of teak I thought it was a tad dark, so I went with the Pine CLS and Filter 7 and I'm very pleased.
    I reckoned I could always darken the door by using a coat of the teak but I'm not going to cus the Pine worked fine. The Oak would also be OK, remenber you can't brighten it, so start light!!!!!

Advertisement