Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem Forever is 10.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

lol I remember this being talked about years ago, surely it's not an active project anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

It's active. Scott Miller talks about it on his blog from time to time. He was talking about it on the Next-Gen.biz podcast before Christmas as well. It'll probably take another two years or so.

3D Realms did manage to ship Prey and Max Payne games so I'm optimistic they'll get something out eventually. I don't care if it takes another 10 years so long as it's as good as DN3D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

they'll get something out eventually.
    And when they do it'll be so good it'll make Daikatana look like it got Half-Life's praise.

I still stand by the fact 3D Realms/Apogee haven't been involved in many bad games. Maybe it's getting delayed because they don't want to put out crap like Daikatana. It's not like they've been doing a mass hyping like Ion Storm did either. It's not like Scott Miller is taking out full pages adds claming he's going to make you his bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Does anyone else think that after the initial delays and the fact that it started getting talked about that they continually delay so that when it does come out it's a huge deal and sells like hot cakes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

How can they afford to develop a game for 10 years?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

3D Realms haven't made a game since Duke 3D. Max Payne and Prey were only published by 3D Realms and even Shadow Warrior was handled by an outside team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yeah most of the talent that was in 3D Realms left over the years including the original creator of Duke and other greats like Tom Hall.

They are really more of a publisher now though you could argue they always where that from the beginning as many of their games from the Apogee shareware days where from outside the company.
    How can they afford to develop a game for 10 years?

3D Realms is loaded or so I recall from reading somewhere they have a big ole pile of cash they sit on as they are also a publisher see text above.

The biggest problem is probably the fear factor this has gone on for so long that unless you make it brilliant you wont want to release it but that feeds into the delay to release which is a viscous cycle.

They're trying to position themselves somewhere between a developer and a publisher. They're going to be working with multiple partners from now on, rather than handling one at a time when they worked on Prey.
    I also talk about our new business strategy of working with multiple independent studios simultaneously. This has been something I've considered for a few years, but I wanted to wait until after Prey's release to purposely pursue. We did this during the first half of the 90's, as Apogee Software, when we pioneered the shareware distribution model of releasing games as episodic trilogies (a vastly different episodic model than the one I refer to above). Back then we worked with numerous external studios, giving many of them their start with funding, design guidance and marketing guidance, including Id Software, Terminal Reality, Remedy and one few people know about, Parallax Software, makers of Descent. This was a game we significantly funded ($200,000+), but the team's funding requirements continued to rise over the months to a point when we decided that we no longer could afford to be involved, in large part because at this same time we had decided to build up an internal development operation. We made a deal with Parallax to shop their game around, and they eventually signed with Interplay, who released the game a year later, and was one of their most successful titles ever.

Anyway, we are often contacted by talented, experienced independent studios looking to partner with us as we've done with past studios. It has become apparent to many studios that partnering with us allows them to create an original game, and reap far more of the rewards and benefits, by getting a better overall deal, and also sharing in the ownership of the IP -- the real Holy Grail in this industry. Id went on to become an industry super star. Remedy has achieved that status, and Human Head is right at that level, too, with publishers knocking down their doors to sign them after Prey's release.

So, going forward, 3D Realms will become a studio polygamist, teaming up with more than one studio, working on perhaps 4-6 external projects simultaneously, creating new IPs and hopefully helping more and more deserving, talented independent studios achieve financial independence, and the ability to call their their own creative shots in the future. I am hiring one or two additional IP Creative Directors to assist me in the management of these games. We've already been contacted by numerous highly qualified independent studios, and more are welcome to contact me. In a way, we're going back to our roots. Fun times ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

In my opinion, the less attention they receive, the better.

A comparison of sorts:
    19981125h.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

in fairness duken nukem - a time to kill was great fun back in the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Look's like a nude pig cop :eek:

If that's as they say a real time asset so it's in games that would be quite impressive, the job link that is posted on also mentions that the game is coming to the Xbox 360 as well by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

DNF is the joke of the industry and the dev team working on it really must have damm thick skin to be able to continue woeking on the project considering how much of a farce it is at this point.

As for the comments saying how great a game it will have to be to make up for the decade its taken to develop, it would have to have ground breaking game play to do this with the original game didnt have. Lets be 100% honest folks while the original Duke Nukem was a great game and a hell of a lot of fun to play it brought no new ideas to the table. Game's like bioforge and system shock and even doom did but DN was just mindless blasting action.

10 years on gamers tend to demand so much more from FPS than just pretty graphics and 100's of enemies to shoot at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Venom wrote:
    Game's like bioforge and system shock and even doom did but DN was just mindless blasting action.

No one seems to remember this game. I loved it back in the day! Great puzzles and good graphics for the time. Shoddy combat system and I never did manage to find my characters full back story but I did finish it none the less!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

D-Generate wrote:
    No one seems to remember this game. I loved it back in the day! Great puzzles and good graphics for the time. Shoddy combat system and I never did manage to find my characters full back story but I did finish it none the less!

I remember finishing it and it was soooooooooo left open for a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Prey was in development for over 10 years. Here's an old E3 demo of its cool graphics and technology back in 1998

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-8hWxPu9EI

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Venom wrote:

Lets be 100% honest folks while the original Duke Nukem was a great game and a hell of a lot of fun to play it brought no new ideas to the table.

I dunno, I still remember walking up to toilets in DN and clicking to be rewarded with "AHHHH I NEEDED THAT". In those days that was some "refreshing" comedy gold :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I remember beating someone to death with their own arm in Bioforge :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

AntiVirus wrote:
    Prey was in development for over 10 years. Here's an old E3 demo of its cool graphics and technology back in 1998

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-8hWxPu9EI

:D

It wasn't. It got canned and then the idea was developed into a new game years later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Retr0gamer wrote:
    It wasn't. It got canned and then the idea was developed into a new game years later.

Oh yes it was. :D

It never got canned, just other projects came up and development almost came to a stop many times but they never canned it.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Advertisement