Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Faulty Car Key - Covered under warranty?

Options
  • 27-04-2007 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if the car key for an 18 month old Toyota is covered under the warranty?

The lock button on the key isnt working now and the unlock button is.. so its not a battery problem.

Im just gonna bring it to the local Toyota dealer, hope I dont have to pay a fortune for the key.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Provided the key hasn't been damaged in some way then, yes, it's a warranty issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

If you are with hiberian they will replace locks and keys for free.Well its on my policy anyway.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Not totally sure as it's not actually a fixture of the car, but a fitting. could be the battery though as one will always work at further range than the other (lock I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

ninty9er wrote:
    Not totally sure as it's not actually a fixture of the car, but a fitting. could be the battery though as one will always work at further range than the other (lock I think)

Definitely not the battery.. (I opened it up and spotted the problem.. theres a tiny crack in the metal contact where the plastic bit pushes down onto it).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It could be that the previous owner was a little hars on it in which case you may be lucky and get a goodwill gesture from the dealer

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote:
    It could be that the previous owner was a little hars on it in which case you may be lucky and get a goodwill gesture from the dealer

Hopefully! We'll see tomorrow. Fingers crossed they open on Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A blank replacement key may not be too expensive, recoding it to your car's immobiliser might be a bit expensive. I think Toyota usually charge somewhere between €100 and €150 for a replacement programed key. Colm_MCM can give a more accurate price.

I reckon it should be covered under warranty if it is faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If the failure is a manufacturing fault or has broken prematurely. not due to water damage or mis-use, then they'll cover it.

Oh just copped, it's a Peugeot key, so likely to be a manufacturing fault!

Make sure the drivers door switch is working correctly ( the only door switch in the car as it happens!) if it thinks the door is open, then the lock function will not work.

Also the boot door button has been known to give hassle as they sometimes jam when too hot or cold.

Just to finish the thread.. Brought the car to the local toyota garage.. gave them the details. They ordered the new key, and I dropped in for half an hour 2 days later and it was fixed and programmed to the car. No charge, full marks Toyota!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Trotter wrote:
    Just to finish the thread.. Brought the car to the local toyota garage.. gave them the details. They ordered the new key, and I dropped in for half an hour 2 days later and it was fixed and programmed to the car. No charge, full marks Toyota!

Thats great to hear it was free :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement