Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do dogs eat grass?

Options
  • 27-04-2007 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I know its common in dogs. They don't eat that much I know but why do they eat it at all? Is it something instinctive - a pre-historic gene still floating around in there from their vegetarian ancestors perhaps?

My two love a certain type of grass that only grows near a riverbank. They munch it so happily that the cows in the nearby field stare at them incredulously.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

They don't eat it as "food" but to help digestion ...it cranks up the old rpm's on the stomach a bit
    Really hairy dogs (like mine:rolleyes: ) sometimes eat too much on purpose ...and then they barf it all up again ...together with clumps of previously ingested hair ...yummy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭Archeron

peasant wrote:
    They don't eat it as "food" but to help digestion ...it cranks up the old rpm's on the stomach a bit
    Really hairy dogs (like mine:rolleyes: ) sometimes eat too much on purpose ...and then they barf it all up again ...together with clumps of previously ingested hair ...yummy :D

Thats interesting to know. I thought they done it because they were sick, and used to worry when mine did it. I'll smile knowingly next time I see them running towards me with big pieces of grass sticking out of their mouths like little four legged hairy bumpkins. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Yup, in general its to settle their stomach

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Does that rule apply ot cats too ? I have seen my cat eat grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yes it does ...also helps them to bring up the hairballs.

On both cats and dogs, grass that isn't brought back up again goes "straight through", pretty much undigested.

So grass is used as the dog/cat equivalent to "colonic irrigation" or castor oil.

No need to worry, unless your animal starts to compete with cows on the grass intake ...in that case a change of diet (after consultation with your vet) is most likely in order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

i always thought it was cause there dehydrated and get water from the grass

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

peasant wrote:
    Yes it does ...also helps them to bring up the hairballs.

On both cats and dogs, grass that isn't brought back up again goes "straight through", pretty much undigested.

So grass is used as the dog/cat equivalent to "colonic irrigation" or castor oil.

No need to worry, unless your animal starts to compete with cows on the grass intake ...in that case a change of diet (after consultation with your vet) is most likely in order.
    Cheers Peasant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

Came across this thread as I have found that our two Dogs eat grass regularly and wondered why.

I have heard that it was for medicinal reasons or for some trace elements they may be missing in their diet.

I have noticed that it is only a certain type of grass, specifically Couch Grass and they will search until they find it ignoring other grasses. My Dad's dog goes for the same type of grass too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Ya they do this to aid digestion and settle their little tummys.

Magis eats Moss too, no idea why! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Sphynx.ie

Maybe he is vegetarian?.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

Sphynx.ie wrote:
    Maybe he is vegetarian?.. :D

What! - I thought Vegetarians were Pussys:D

Advertisement