Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

One for you and one for me..

Options
  • 27-04-2007 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

I drive an old corolla at the moment. love it. nippy, comfortable, cheap enough to run and insure. herself has just started driving and has landed with a 2 litre petrol spacewagon (leftovers from the parents). it's great for taking people on trips with the seven seats but not practical in the long term. we've decided to get rid of both (as mine is too boy racery and hers is too grandadish) and get a comprimise to share. less insurance and we only have one parking space. so far we've come up with;

focus 2000 1.4
    corolla 2001 1.4
    audi A4 1998 1.6
    BMW 316 1998 1.6
    Prius 2004 1.5

i'd appreciate any contributions to the list for our consideration. 4/5 doors preferable. under 1600cc. not too small. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Save yourselves a lot of money. Sell her Spacewagon and keep your old Corolla that you love

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Of the 5 you list, I'd be leaning towards the Prius.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

crosstownk wrote:
    Of the 5 you list, I'd be leaning towards the Prius.
    me too. I'd have one if I could afford it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'll go with the usual recommendation of the Skoda Octavia 1.4 litre as an option. Not particularly fast but good enough for urban driving and a large boot.

You could probably buy a new one too for the same price as a 2004 Prius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Sir civic perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

unkel wrote:
    Save yourselves a lot of money. Sell her Spacewagon and keep your old Corolla that you love

love is one thing, passing the NCT in june is quite another.

i won't drive a skoda. i won't even try to justify it, just no.

the only civics i'd consider would be too powerful for her or too flashy to fit in that comprimise box. i'm stepping down from the IS200 i really wanted, she's stepping up from the CLK she really wants (what is this money stuff you speak of?).

i need a 5 door car with a decent engine that i can put 4 of my mates or a bicycle in to and not look a prat while doing it.

the prius might well happen. i've heard conflicting reports of their lifetime environmental footprint, but when that's put against the money we both make from mileage and the offset of walking/cycling we do most days to work, it's hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Be sure to put the old cars on adverts.ie! What are the details of the Spacewagon? Might be interested.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

it's a '98 2.0l petrol GLXi, burgundy. 60k or so on the clock. i'll be holding on to it for a couple of months to take a crowd to france and back. it'll be up on adverts no doubt. the boards.ie discount always applies, i'll let you know.

the corolla will be going up as well, and i'll be scouring the same forum for my new motor, so it's like a big happy circle of motors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

If you're concerned about the lifetime environmental footprint, the best thing to do is try hang onto the Corolla. I read an interesting article somewhere about the way we change our cars. The upshot of it was that even an expensive repair on an old car still works out cheaper than replacing it.

Put it up for NCT and see IF it fails, and if it does, what it would cost to repair it.

If you're determined to change, the one on that list for me would again be the Corolla.

EDIT:

Bizarrely, it was on MSN again this morning! http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveonaCar/KeepYourOldClunkerOrBuyANewCar.aspx

Advertisement