Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Article: Faster Page Loads with Image Concatenation

Options
  • 27-04-2007 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

From borkweb.com

Now how many of you would have thought of using tilesets and CSS? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

It's seems like a hell of a lot more work tbh. Also what if somebody only wants to view a few(3/4) pages and not the entire site they still have to download the whole image. It could be a slightly useful for a menu that get's loaded on every page but I couldn't see myself using this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I've come across this before, been meaning to give it a go but haven't gotten around to it yet. Might try it out for my next site.

While it might not be such a great idea for an image used on only one or two pages of a big site, it sounds very useful for menus, icons, etc. - particularly where a rollover effect is needed (an easy way to eliminate any rollover lag).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Too much trouble unless your Larry Page at google, trying to speed up search results by milliseconds...

I like the idea though, and might have a go at it, but I see no practical use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

nevf wrote:
    I like the idea though, and might have a go at it, but I see no practical use.

You see no practical use? This method has been in use for a couple of years for navigational rollovers. Here are a few examples of sites that use it:

Snook.ca (Navigation Background Image)
    CSS Beauty (Navigation Background Image)
    Trojan Records (Navigation Background Image)

You get the idea. About half the sites linked from CSS Beauty use the technique in their navigation also.

Advertisement