Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill Airshow 2007, June 24th, 3PM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

If it were only the two Strike Eagles performing I would still go. They will be my highlight.

I can't see your other yet to be named acts topping that for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

If it were only the two Strike Eagles performing I would still go. They will be my highlight.

I can't see your other yet to be named acts topping that for me.

I have to agree... Let's hope the weather holds out......... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

According to the BBC we should be ok:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day_f.shtml?world=4306

Good stuff on the F15's David. Was impressed with the display a few years back when the aircraft carrier came into Galway bay and we were treated to 2 F14's and 2 F15's flying around the bay.

I have some great pics from a Boston airshow I was at a few years ago where the aircraft (F15's, F16's, F14's etc) were static on the ground. Back then (10 years ago) you were allowed to climb up and look into the jet. Must scan and post up the pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

daveg wrote:
    According to the BBC we should be ok:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day_f.shtml?world=4306

Good stuff on the F15's David. Was impressed with the display a few years back when the aircraft carrier came into Galway bay and we were treated to 2 F14's and 2 F15's flying around the bay.

Never knew F15s operated off carriers?
    Are you sure it wasn't F18s?
    I do remember F14 and F18 based at Shannon while JFK was off Dun Laoghaire. Lovely standing behind them while they fired up before they set off on the Sunday morning to rendezvous with the carrrier.
    I was deaf for a few days mind you.

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote:
    Never knew F15s operated off carriers?
    Are you sure it wasn't F18s?
    I do remember F14 and F18 based at Shannon while JFK was off Dun Laoghaire. Lovely standing behind them while they fired up before they set off on the Sunday morning to rendezvous with the carrrier.
    I was deaf for a few days mind you.

Yep your right:

http://www.salthillairshow.com/scrapbook/airshow_scrapbook_1996_00.html

• Advertisement

We'll sadly never see a Tomact again, unless you want to take a trip to Iran.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

We'll sadly never see a Tomact again, unless you want to take a trip to Iran.

How do the Iranians manage for parts?
    Can't imagine Northrop Grumman being allowed ship to Iran, unless Ollie North was onboard with the cargo.

As of 2000, IRIAF still has some 50-55 F-14s, but only about 30 of them were active at any one time.

In January 2007, the US suspended sales of parts for F-14s due to concerns that they could end up in Iran.
    No other country ever had the F14 so nowhere else to go.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

any real ships gonna be there?? i.e helicopters

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Whats the story if the weather is raining as it looks like its going to be? What will we lose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Final 2 Mil acts to be Confirmed are A-10 Thunderbolts. Enjoy.

• Advertisement

Steyr wrote:
    Final 2 Mil acts to be Confirmed are A-10 Thunderbolts. Enjoy.

Cool. So thats a Typhoon, 2 F15's, A-10's and the Thunderbirds. Thats an excellent line up.

Maybe you cannot answer this David but is the lack of military acts confirmation (not just this year, but most years) due in some way to the Galway allienance against the war or whatever those retards call themselves? Is it to dumb down the military involvement?

Archytas wrote:
    Whats the story if the weather is raining as it looks like its going to be? What will we lose?

I'd say we won't loose anything. All aircraft can fly in any weather the west of Ireland can throw at them.

daveg wrote:
    is the lack of military acts confirmation due in some way to the Galway allienance against the war or whatever those retards call themselves? Is it to dumb down the military involvement?

Nope the lack is totally down to all the Air forces of the world not spending alot on sending Aircraft to shows as they have ever tighter defence budgets, its that simple, we send letters to EVERY Air Force/Arm in Europe to ask them to take part in The Salthill shows and 99.9% of the time they decline the offer due to their Tight Defence Budgets or Operational Commitments, for example the French Air Force will not even be at RIAT and the Swedish AF are only doing 1 show in the entire year and thats in Sweden and the Germans dont do Flying displays anymore just STATIC role as it is too expensive to have them doing a flying display even the RAF are extremely cut back, you should count yourselves lucky as Salthill is the ONLY show in Europe that will have FLYING A-10 activity,they will be at other shows but in the STATIC ROLE ONLY.

Hi David. Sorry but you misunderstand my question. I'm not having a swipe at the lack of military acts. In fact I think the opposite. The amount of military jets this year is top class.

My question is most other airshows advertise the military jet involvement first and foremost. This is the main draw for the crowd. The Salthill airshow have A-10's and F15's appearing this year but have not advertised this (not on the website). This happens most years from my recollection. The question I'm asking is, is this in some way related in some way to the Galway allienance against the war? Is it to dumb down the military involvement?
    Steyr wrote:
    Nope the lack is totally down to all the Air forces of the world not spending alot on sending Aircraft to shows as they have ever tighter defence budgets, its that simple, we send letters to EVERY Air Force/Arm in Europe to ask them to take part in The Salthill shows and 99.9% of the time they decline the offer due to their Tight Defence Budgets or Operational Commitments, for example the French Air Force will not even be at RIAT and the Swedish AF are only doing 1 show in the entire year and thats in Sweden and the Germans dont do Flying displays anymore just STATIC role as it is too expensive to have them doing a flying display even the RAF are extremely cut back, you should count yourselves lucky as Salthill is the ONLY show in Europe that will have FLYING A-10 activity,they will be at other shows but in the STATIC ROLE ONLY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I dunno, but for a lot of people, the main draw will be the Thunderbirds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Pataman

Any frequencies known for the scanner?

daveg wrote:
    . The question I'm asking is, is this in some way related in some way to the Galway allienance against the war? Is it to dumb down the military involvement?

Sorry, our policy is save the best for last!:D

Pataman wrote:
    Any frequencies known for the scanner?

Airshow Ops Freq 121.750

Enjoy the airshow guys. I won't be there, I failed to realise how bad the public transport system in this country really is:mad:.

The only train I can get to Galway leaves at 8.40am from Heuston. The only way I can get there for that time is a €35 taxi due to the first train and bus from my area not operating until 9:20am and 8:30am.

Then on the way home the last train leaves Galway at 18:15, how bad is that. I'm glad it's a free airshow because the travelling cost would be over €100.

Next year try and organise it to be held in Dublin Bay.:D

Or I could buy myself a car.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

just back from the show now.

good show! although at the end when the merlin helicopter was taking off from salthill park what looked like the door/window frame fell off and hit two people on the beach!
    they had to be strechered off the beach, i think they are alright tho,
    i ran down and saw the door lying in the sand, looked pretty heavy. didnt however look like the people where badly injured tho, hope they make a speedy recovery.

• Advertisement

The door fell off alright. Saw it fall into the crowd. What a freak accident. Hope the injured people are ok. Ambulance escourted by police passed us and it looked serious. That door must have weighed a tonne. The should never be allowed to tke off over the crowd imo.

the door/window frame was pretty big and looked like it was heavey enough, it measured roughly 4 foot by 2 1/2 foot when i saw it up close on the beach, very lucky no one was killed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

skelliser wrote:
    good show! although at the end when the merlin helicopter was taking off from salthill park what looked like the door/window frame fell off and hit two people on the beach!

Jesus christ! :eek: I was standing on the beach til the thunderbirds finished, how the hell did I miss this!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Who's Merlin was it? .... :confused:

from the airshow website the merlin was an RAF display helicopter, they were part of the static display in the park, they were lettin people inside it etc. bet some young fella went messin with the window frame!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

skelliser wrote:
    from the airshow website the merlin was an RAF display helicopter, they were part of the static display in the park, they were lettin people inside it etc. bet some young fella went messin with the window frame!!

ok .... thanks for that ....

just saw the votage on the news of the door hitting a guy on his back, lucky man!!

I actually made it to the show, only home now and I heard about the door on the radio on the trip home.:eek:

Good show, but what happened the Strike Eagles?:(

The Tiffy was a blast, that was my favourite act there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

weather I would say , the tbirds got a good window between heavy showers .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ryanmatty

Would have to agree on why they were aloud take off and fly directly over the crowd. From being at a few briefings before a few airshows in ireland in the past i tought it was not aloud for a display aircraft to fly directly over the attending spectators. I had said this just before the door falling off as the thunderbirds had being doing so. from my experience all flying was to be over and away from the display line.

Advertisement