Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*sigh* NTL *sigh*

Options
  • 28-04-2007 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Has anyone around the shankill area started to re-experience the joy of hours-long NTL disconnects? I won't go into detail on it, cause if you've been through it you know what the symptoms are. Flashing lights and no link established. Lots of this type of muck in the modem log (http://192.168.100.1):

Fri Apr 27 23:57:55 2007 Fri Apr 27 23:57:55 2007 6 Critical(3) 82000500 Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...

Every time I say I've had it with NTL and am about to switch to DSL, it seems to magically get better. Then lo and behold, a few months later and you get a new round of this crap sprung on you.

I've given up ringing NTL long, long ago. There's only so many times I can endure hearing some disinterested unhelpful peon read me the 'I'll just walk you through a reboot' script. Or have them offer to send me out an engineer three months from now on a tuesday morning when it's painfully obvious just from a cursory scan of the situation that the problem is them and that heap of ****e they call a network that they've cobbled together out of silly putty and copper wire stolen from a halting site. I'd like to ram their cable modem so far up their asses that their nipples flash the green 'can't establish connection' sequence that's burned into my brain.

I really think the only solution is to tell them to shove it and move to DSL. Has anyone else done this to any satisfaction? I realise that all DSL is just Eircom's network, so I guess the provider doesn't make all that much of a difference other than price and customer service (none, presumedly).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Yeah, I'm going through that for last 36 hours too. Had been good for a few months.
    Rang yesterday morning in the hope that there might be a message saying that if you live in Blah, Blah or Blah that they were experiencing problems and would have fixed soon.
    Or that when I logged it they would at least notice there was a problem and maybe go back to the halting site for more cable before I got home.

Anyway, the pleasant but rather useless call logger took the details and promised that someone who could talk me through it would ring me back - when would be the most suitable time? Anytime? Ok!
    Last time the returned call took 2 weeks, by which time it was fixed. They always work on the first principle that it's the customer is stupid and a power cycle and reboot will make it alright.
    You would expect that somewhere on there network an alarm light would go on and if a customer said they was a problem, they might notice the light or the bell ringing and think 'so that's what that means!'.

But when it is working it is good, and the thoughts of DSL means porting my number back from Blueface and paying than damn line rental again, so i keep holding on..

Advertisement