Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAW, SmackDown! and ECW present Backlash (Predictions, spoilers and results thread)

• 28-04-2007 1:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭

Fatal Four-way (Triple threat) for the WWE Championship: John Cena (c) Vs. Shawn Michaels Vs. Edge Vs. Randy Orton(?)
    I think it will be HBK's night. Although after reading JR's blog, I can't help wonder will WWE put the strap on Orton. I doubt it, but I have a feeling... Ah well, should be a good match and I would expect Orton to do the job.

3-on-1 handicap match for the ECW World championship: Shane McMahon, Vince McMahon and Umaga w/ Armando Estrada Vs. Bobby Lashley (c)
    I would like to see Shane O Mac get the pin here, but logic would seem to side with Lashley. I would like to see it be a No-DQ match and have Santino repay Lashley.

Last man standing match for the World Heavyweight Championship: Undertaker (c) Vs. Batista
    It'll be a 'Taker win here. I think we'll someone else challenge the 'Taker after this. Should be an enjoyable match if their match at 'Mania was anything to go by.

World Tag Team Championship match: Matt and Jeff Hardy (c) Vs. Lance Cade and Trevor Murdoch
    I would say the Hardyz to get the win, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a title switch as WWE are pushing Cade/Murdoch at the moment.

United States Championship match: Chris Benoit (c) Vs. Montel Vontavius Porter
    Again, I expect a solid wrestling match and I think it will be time for MVP to claim his first piece of WWE gold.

Women's Championship match: Melina (c) Vs. Mickie James
    I dunno about this one, it won't be a great match, but I doubt it'll stink. Both have decent in-ring skills, so it won't be as bad as Ashley Vs. Melina at 'Mania. I find it hard to chose a winner, I would say Mickie James, but she won and lost the title in Paris, but I suppose that has nothing to do with it really. I'll go with Mickie James as I like her.

Overall
    I think this is a very solid PPV and could be one of the best Backlash's in years. It really is a night of champions as every match has a title on the line. I must say I'm looking forward to Sunday night.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think it's a shocking line up. Both Smackdown matches are exactly the same and they've spent weeks promoting Kennedy and Finley and neither of them feature. The only positive is the chance of Shane O mac getting a run with the title but if Lashley doesn't pin Vince I'll eat my hat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Bubs101 wrote:
    I think it's a shocking line up. Both Smackdown matches are exactly the same and they've spent weeks promoting Kennedy and Finley and neither of them feature. The only positive is the chance of Shane O mac getting a run with the title but if Lashley doesn't pin Vince I'll eat my hat
    totally agree , especially not putting o kennedy !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Far too many titles on the line and not enough stories behind the matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

They are all title matches, thats nuts!
    Is this on sky? I might watch it if it is, but theres no way I'm wasting a night downloading that.
    I'd say Mickey and MVP will win the titles, maybe HBK too, but the rest will stay the way they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fatal Four-way (Triple threat) for the WWE Championship: John Cena (c) Vs. Shawn Michaels Vs. Edge Vs. Randy Orton(?)

We can safely rule Orton out of this one. Edge had an injury a month ago so I doubt he'll get the title at this point in time. HBK got the win on Raw so logic tells you that Cena will get the win here. My guess is by pinning Orton.

3-on-1 handicap match for the ECW World championship: Shane McMahon, Vince McMahon and Umaga w/ Armando Estrada Vs. Bobby Lashley (c)

I think Lashley wins here, probably with help from Santino.

Last man standing match for the World Heavyweight Championship: Undertaker (c) Vs. Batista

Taker will win. Hopefully Batista is then removed from the title picture.

World Tag Team Championship match: Matt and Jeff Hardy (c) Vs. Lance Cade and Trevor Murdoch

Matt and Jeff should retain.

MVP has been very impressive and I see him being rewarded with a US title win.

Melina should retain. Another title switch seems unlikely.

Overall

The only matches that interest me to a great extent are MVP/Benoit and the main event. The other matches are a bit 'meh'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Fatal Four-way (Triple threat) for the WWE Championship: John Cena (c) Vs. Shawn Michaels Vs. Edge Vs. Randy Orton

Unfortunately Orton's going to have to be the guy who loses. To Cena I think

Lashley to win, with some help

Undertaker to retain. Can't say I understand the reasoning behind the last man standing stipulation

I'm lookin forward to this the most. Cade and Murdoch are very talented and I really hope they get the chance to make this a competitive match like the Hardys/MNM match at the ECW ppv. Hardy's for the win though

MVP probably

Melina to retain. What I heard is that the title change in Europe was a referee mistake. I expect this to be a good match

Overall

I'll stay up to watch this. It's on Sky Sports I believe. Like I said, I'm lookin forward to the tag match. I don't really know what to expect from some of the matches, they have the potential to be great, or they might fail badly. Another match on the card wouldn't go astray

Fatal Four-way (Triple threat) for the WWE Championship: John Cena (c) Vs. Shawn Michaels Vs. Edge Vs. Randy Orton

I think that Edge might steal this if he's fully fit. I think that they might use this PPV to end the feuds that led to wrestlemania and having Edge win would do that. Having said that though, I can't remember the last four way match when an outsider won

Lashley to pin Vince. If only the bookies took odds

Don't care who wins this cos I think it's irrelevant. Kennedy to cash in MITB and take home belt with help from Finlay

I really don't see what people see in Cade and Murdoch. I hate them but I also hate Jeff so as long as it's a Matt centric match I'll be happy

MVP to win. Benoit is too big for the belt

Melina to win, I'm just hoping it's short

Overall

Shocking line-up, might as well be called wrestlemania 23.5 . all the main events are practically explain but the 4-way will be good and with the chance of Shane O mac winning something, I'll definitly watch it on dailymotion

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

I have a feeling that Cena's time on top might be over (if only temporarily) here. It's a good way for Cena to lose the title without getting pinned. I was hoping for an Orton win but in all likelyhood, thats not gonna happen. My pick for this is Edge even though I would like HBK to take the gold.

I would imagine Lashley is going to win this but i'm not totally convinced. I can see anyone winning this TBH. Maybe Santino won the IC title cause they planned for Umaga to win the ECW title? Something to think about.

Undertaker obviously. Kennedy will probably cost Batista the match and therefore set up a feud between the two.

I kinda like Mudoch & Cade. They're enjoyable to watch. I reckon they won't win though. Although if that is the case, I would like to see their feud continuing after Backlash. On a side note, was it just me or did anyone else think that Murdoch was attempting a sommersault piledriver on RAW on Matt Hardy when he won that match?

I can see MVP winning this. In all likelyhood this will be enjoyable to watch

Couldn't care less TBH.

Overall

I think this is gonna be an enjoyable PPV. I'm glad that WWE are back doing PPV's with all the brands included.

I think this is gonna be an enjoyable PPV. I'm glad that WWE are back doing PPV's with all the brands included.

:confused:

One ECW member who appears on Raw more often

On a side note, was it just me or did anyone else think that Murdoch was attempting a sommersault piledriver on RAW on Matt Hardy when he won that match?

He had Matt's arms hooked behind his legs, so he was going for a flip with the intention of landing Matt on his back. He should have ended up in a position like Batista's sit-out powerbomb, but with his legs over Matt's arms. He didn't rotate far enough though, but it'll be impressive when he hits it right

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote:
    He had Matt's arms hooked behind his legs, so he was going for a flip with the intention of landing Matt on his back. He should have ended up in a position like Batista's sit-out powerbomb, but with his legs over Matt's arms. He didn't rotate far enough though, but it'll be impressive when he hits it right

According to Meltzer it was meant to be a Canadian Destroyer and apparently he left Matt very rattled after it:
    Matt Hardy was legitimately shaken up last night at Raw by the Trevor Murdoch finish, which was planned to be a Canadian Destroyer even though it didn't work out that way. We've got no update but the situation wasn't thought to be serious.

Here's a funny vid on the Petey Williams/Trevor Murdoch versions.

There's no way he was goin for a Canadian Destroyer! He had Matt's arms hooked behind his legs. My impressions when I saw it was that he was intending to go for a pin once he'd hit the move, which he did. And anyway, just lookin at that video there, it looks like it's Matt's fault more than Murdoch's. Tenner bets that when Murdoch hits it right it'll be the way I'm describin it! Is Meltzer on?

Fozzy wrote:
    There's no way he was goin for a Canadian Destroyer! He had Matt's arms hooked behind his legs. My impressions when I saw it was that he was intending to go for a pin once he'd hit the move, which he did. And anyway, just lookin at that video there, it looks like it's Matt's fault more than Murdoch's. Tenner bets that when Murdoch hits it right it'll be the way I'm describin it! Is Meltzer on?

Well I too found it hard to believe he was going for a Canadian Destroyer. It looked like he wanted a powerbomb type move but why hook the legs for that? Weird.

Maybe he'll go for it tomorrow and all will be revealed!

It looked like Hardy's fault alright. If you looks at Peteys Canadian Destroyer, the person taking it has to do most of the work. Hardy was meant to propel himself over but couldn't, probably cos Murdoch is far too heavy to attempt this move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Superman Cena over HBK, Edge with Orton to do the job.

Taker over Batista

zzzzzzz Lashley over Vince, Shane, Umaga

MVP over Benoit

Melina over Mickie James

Cade/Murdoch over Hardy Boyz

Poorly booked PPV. I'll probably give up watching WWE if Cena walks out with that belt. I hope WWE do something different and make things interesting by putting the belt on Edge. If the belt wasn't going to be put on HBK at Mania it won't happen tonight
    I dont care much about the rest of the card. Too many rematches, Taker/Batista should have been kept for Summerslam, piss break for the Lashely match but MVP/Benoit should be ok.
    And why only 6 matches when they have 3 brands of talent and storylines????? :confused: Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

Fozzy wrote:
    I reckon your right Fozzy. I'd he was going for some sort of flip powerbomb. Sure WWE don't normally allow piledrivers let alone feckin' sommersault piledrivers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Any chance sky are streaming this on the website? Have to head back to college this evening but wouldnt mind watching this online if possible.

I don't think they are. I haven't heard of Sky streaming any WWE stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Balls thats a pity, just thougth that seeing as it was on Sky Sports and not box office they might stream it, it was a long shot I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I think there is going to be a tag team title match cause I just on http://www.wwe.com/inside/power25/. Its says
    wwe.com wrote:
    After almost a year of championship status, London & Kendrick lost their titles to Deuce and Domino on SmackDown last week. This week, Kendrick fell to Deuce. Will they rebound on Sunday?
    Make of that what you will.

• Advertisement

Wow Backlash was a blast and ended up being way better than I thought it would be. The matches were all solid. I'll use spoilers for my thoughts on the main matches:
    MVP vs Benoit was great and probably my favourite match of the night. MVP looked like a veteran the way he worked on the neck of Benoit. Credit to JBL too for putting him over so well. Benoit really allowed him get a lot of offence and the finish leads me to believe their feud is continuing which is fine by me.

Vince being the ECW champion is being promoted as being such a travesty but does anyone really give a sh*t? This is Vince's version of ECW so I couldn't give a damn. I'd sooner see him with the belt than Lashley.

The Taker/Batista match was brilliant and was close to being better than Cena's Last Man Standing match with Umaga but that ending wa bullsh*t. It ruined it for me.

I loved the main event match. Plenty of action and great spots. The ending makes a lot of sense too and I reckon they'll continue the Cena/HBK feud into Summerslam. I've no problem with that.

So fair play to WWE on a great event. I guess the triple-branding can be deemed a success at the minute anyway.

I enjoyed it too. As good as you can come to expect from WWE
    I really enjoyed the tag match. Cade and Murdoch were actually wrestling as a tag team! The way they never let either of the Hardy's (Jeff mostly) over to their half of the ring was great. I thought Jeff could have done a bit more with his selling, would have meant more when he finally got the tag. I'd like to see another match from them, but a bit longer

Women's match was good. Much better than your average one, these two can wrestle

I'm a bit surprised that Vince has won the title, but I suppose there had to be at least one title change really. I can see him beating RVD before he heads off!

MVP's good. It took me a while to get into him, but he helped put on a nice match last night

Batista and Undertaker did great too. I was wondering if they'd be able to have another good match. Batista was looking better than he did in some matches before the Rumble. He was absolutely awful back then. They were leaving it real close to the ten counts before they got up, closer than usual. Batista's spear when Taker was running off the ropes was deadly. I agree about the ending being stupid, I started laughing when I saw those pillars fall down. What sort of a ****ty stage falls apart like that?! Also the fact that Taker got up first seemed a bit strange, given that Batista was the one who did the move

Main event was good also! I was real happy that Shawn went straight for Cena as soon as they'd kicked the other two out of the ring, as I wasn't looking forward to the usual story of "two guys helping each other before one turns on the other". Would have made no sense. Some nice combos in this match. The ending was fine. I wonder if it'll be Shawn and Cena again, or if they'll throw Edge into the mix too? No Mr Kennedy, which I wasn't surprised by. It'd be stupid to give away when he's using his shot like that I think

All in all a ppv worth watching. Not a bad match on the card, except for maybe the ECW title match, but the story in that one was interesting enough. I hope they can keep this up

For anyone who's posting spoilers on this thread, make sure you use spoiler tags. Look at the charter to see how if you don't already know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I'll give my thoughts on each match later when I have more time but overall it was a very good ppv. Nothing was bad.

I only saw the three world title matches, but they were enough for me to draw the conclusion that it was a really good PPV.
    Vince winning the title brought a smile to my face, and more importantly, brought an end to the Lash's reign. Not that that will last too long of course.

I'm surprised Benoit won again, going from the reviews, MVP is getting better and better. He'll probably win the title on Smackdown this week, if the end of London and Kendrick's reign is anything to go by.

Taker and Batista was quality again, perhaps better than their WrestleMania match. Takers legdrop through the table was cool. I liked the ending too, I was thinking in the buildup to the end that a spear over the side would be sweet, and it was! The explosions and set falling was a bit OTT but that takes nothing away from the match itself. This feud, like the others, will continue.

The Fatal Four Way was entertaining throughout. There were alot of combo's delivered at a very high pace, which I wasn't used to seeing from WWE. I was impressed by Orton in this one too, his facial expressions are alot more believable than, for example, Michaels when he looks drunk trying to get to the top rope. The ending was well delivered and made sense and should lead to a cracking Cena Michaels feud ender at SummerSlam, as Mr Nice Guy mentioned.

On a somewhat related topic, the feedback on PWInsider is baffling as many people are calling it crap. You can check it out here. I'm amazed at those responses. Maybe they're TNA die-hards or something.

The tag match was very good and it was just over and their was a power outage on the street and I missed the rest of it :(. Anybody know when its on Sky again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Just had a look at the site Mr. Nice Guy was on about. That's a load of bullsh*t, Backlash was brilliant. I had high hopes for the PPV and it delivered. Great performances by all involved.
    This match was excellant. 4 stars. It was fast paced and WWE definatly hit the mark with this one. Lots of good spots. Great ending, it leaves Shawn looking strong, but also Cena winning on luck, puts over the rest of the guys in the match.

I didn't mind this match, wrestling could have been better, but I enjoyed it. Pity Shane didn't win the title, but I liked the ending. I think that Vince getting the title is a bit weird, hopefully he'll relinquish it and have a tournament with him making it near on impossible for Lashley to get to the final, but have Lashley in the final and get screwed. I think it would be fun. Also, I think Lashley losing, will only help him in the long term. It makes him more human to have him lose to those kind of odds. If he had won, it would have hurt him more than it helped him.

Liked this match, thought the ending was a little OTT, but I enjoyed it. I loved all the 9 and 3/4 counts and Batista going through the table was good to. The spear off the ramp was cool. Although, I expected the lights to go off at 8 and back on at 9, with 'Taker standing on the ramp. I would have liked it, but it would have hurt what was a very good match.

Good match, liked it on a whole. Although, I can't seem to remember any big memorable spots, so I suppose that would count against it.

Great match, as JBL said, it stole the show. I loved the 'power ranger' chants while MVP had Benoit in a headlock, I think it was a headlock anyway. I expect huge things from MVP and I think its right on WWE's part not to put the title on him so soon. Great rivalry, I will be sad when it is over.

I was wrong about this match. It was great. I would rank it as better than Trish Vs. Mickie at 'Mania 22. I loved some of the moves, especially, Melina's full nelson using her legs. Mickie sold it well. Infact, she sold the whole match well. I thought she was really injured after Melina's...em...can't really describe it, em...sit down...the move where she landed on Mickie's chest after both of them coming from the top rope. Anyway, really liked this match.

Overall
    Great PPV, thought it might not live up to my expectations, but it surpassed them. I'm gonna go out on a limb here, I thought it was better than WrestleMania 23. **Cowers** Don't kill me, please! Seriously, I was more satisfied after Backlash than 'Mania. Looking forward to RAW tonight and I am hopeful for Judgment Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I agree Minto. I enjoyed this show more than 'Mania although maybe my expectations were just a little high last month.

Fatal Four Way- Great match with a clever finish. It reminded me of the Austin/Triple H finish at No Way Out in 2001.

Last Man Standing- Loved the intensity of the match. It would have been nice to get a conclusive finish but since they're going with another re-match at Judgment day I'm ok with it.

ECW World title- I wasn't hugely into this one.

Womans title- I have no problem with Melina and Mickie feuding for the next 12 months. Good match.

The other 2 titles matches were very enjoyable too.

I'd be more satistfied with it than WM too. I think the main reason is just because there weren't any bad matches, except for maybe the ECW title match, although that still had its good points

I'm very surprised by that PWInsider link. Someone said the tag match went 5/6 minutes too long, for me it was 5/6 minutes too short! I was really enjoying that match. I really hope Cade and Murdoch still get pushed. Murdoch hit that move that he tried on Raw, exactly as I described it. I will be pursuing Meltzer for my tenner

Maybe these people who are complaining now are the people who enjoy what WWE usually put out on ppv? Or maybe they're just the serial complainers

I believe Sky usually show the replay on a Tuesday night, probably at 9

• Advertisement

Cheers Fozzy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Decent PPV, better than Mania no doubt.

Hardys vs Cade/Murdoch was pretty good. It lasted a few minutes toO long for my liking but it was solid. Cade/Murdoch still look rough around the edges but showed they could keep it up with Matt and Jeff.

Melina vs Mickie was pretty ok which is unsual for a women match of late

Benoit vs MVP was the match of the night. MVP gets better and better the more he faces Benoit and I think he is coming into his own. Even though their fued will probably continue I feel it was missed opportunity ot put the US belt on MVP.

ZZZZZZZ vs Vince/Shane/Umaga was crap. If Vince won any other title I'd go mental but I just dont care. Pathetic stuff, please let this fued die.

Batista vs Taker was great aside from the stupid ending. Hell in a Cell coming up soon?

Fatal Four Way - Superman Cena wins again :rolleyes: If he won cleanly I'd have hit the roof but I'm bored of that belt around his waste. He's steamrolled over the whole roster at this stage. It was a good mathc for a 4 way which was always going to be a messy event. Good work from all but Edge or HBK should have that belt around their waste by now.

Still dont know why they couldn't have fit in an extra match. WWE are unecessarily dragging out their PPV shows as a result, 8 matches was the norm a few years back. Any how can you have a PPV without Kennedy and Finlay??? :confused:

Best PPV of the year so far but still much room for improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Interesting to note that MVP and Benoit are by far the most popular so far going by the poll over on wwe.com with a whopping 48.43%

Good to see that old fashioned wrestling can still excite in a world of exploding stages.

Advertisement