Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocker newb, advice.

• 28-04-2007 1:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭

I'm new to overclocking but now that I've got an Opteron, I'm going to jump in. PC specs as per my signature.

I've found a overclockers guide here that's answering most of my questions about the mechanics of overclocking and the details of overclocking with my board, but what I'm looking for is general observations and advice.

I haven't touched any of the BIOS settings yet, but I've started using tools, hardware and software to test and monitor the computer to see where I'm at right now.

The case comes with a temperature monitor, I put it in the hard drive cage and it's gone up to 32C.

As for the processor (still at stock) I've started monitoring the temperatures of the cores with CoreTemp. Here I see an almost constant (but it fluctuates) 5C difference between the cores. Idle, Core 0 runs at the mid 20s, and Core 1 runs at the high 20s to low 30s. BIOS reports the processor singly at 28C.

To stress the CPU I've just started using Super PI, to calculate to 32M digits, 24 iterations, it took 34 min 45 sec. While that was happening I watched core usage with Task Manager. But it didn't push the processor to the limits - pushed Core 0 to 47% ish usage at approx 40C, pushed Core 1 to 70-80%, mid to high 40s. I was able to force usage higher by scrolling windows rapidly which pushed Core 1 to 97% approx usage and its temperature peaked at 47C.

I also have very little confidence in my RAM, and I don't expect it will be too helpful.

Are these temperatures OK? Should I try to do something about heat buildup before proceeding? What kind of an overclock should I get with this equipment? Have I missed anything serious?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭SeanW

Update, I've started using Orthos to test the CPU and the temperature of Core 1 goes up to the lower-mid 50s, 7 degrees higher than Core 0 (and this is with stock speed). I don't like those temps at all

I've read something about thermal compound "burning in." I'm using some Akasa silver stuff. Is it possible that the temperatures should improve over the next few days?

Advertisement