Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOTR Online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

humanji wrote:
    Does anyone know what the Dwarf intro is? The Human and Hobbit intro and storylines tell the same thing from different angles, so I was wondering if the Elf and Dwarf do the same.
    I'd guess so... seeing as the dwarfs are all over the Elf intro.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

humanji wrote:
    Does anyone know what the Dwarf intro is? The Human and Hobbit intro and storylines tell the same thing from different angles, so I was wondering if the Elf and Dwarf do the same.

You are in a mine gathering other Dwarfs for some event, a toll appears and gandalf kills it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

A toll? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Yes the NRA have set a toll booth up on the bridge of Khazad-dûm.

Gandalf uses Eazy Pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Didnt watch the intro :eek:

But as elf you start up north of Ered Lun...i know i'm gettin these place names wrong before yous say it :p ...at Thoromirs mine or something like that

Then you do the intro missions and end up at Ered Luin.....west of the Shire

The National Rifle Associationset up a toll booth? This time, they've gone too far!

Does that mean we have guns in LOTR ?? :rolleyes:

Bagsy the sniper rifle :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm not 100% about lotro so far. I was enjoying it, but it didnt feel like it had much depth. I cant seem to motivate myself to actually do quests atm, and there doesnt seem to be enough high level characters for Monster Play to be fun yet. It can also bea bloody pain to find some quest items/areas. I dunno...

Went back and played Vanguard for a few hours there, and it seemed more detailed, if almost totally empty :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Kiith wrote:
    I'm not 100% about lotro so far. I was enjoying it, but it didnt feel like it had much depth. I cant seem to motivate myself to actually do quests atm, and there doesnt seem to be enough high level characters for Monster Play to be fun yet. It can also bea bloody pain to find some quest items/areas. I dunno...

Went back and played Vanguard for a few hours there, and it seemed more detailed, if almost totally empty :(

I agree...im not 100% convinced with LOTR yet. Went back and played daoc yesterday but its pretty much empty aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah im feeling the same.
    Initially lotro felt great ,looked great but now that ive got a char in the the lvl 20s im not enjoying it very much.
    The animation while in combat is really strange and in general just doesnt feel fluid like WOW does.
    Not sure if ill keep playing after the 30 free days tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Oh god help me...i'm actually considering re-subscribing to Warcraft...somebody stop me!!

Well i had intended cancelling wow at end of current month but im keeping subs for it.
    Lotro is far from wow tbh imo.

I must say I'm enjoying it quite a lot, true I'm not at all into the pvp element which may be better in wow.

Well i got 2 of my clanmates into it, we all usually play FPS (MOh,cod2 etc) but have played Guild Wars in the past :)

2 of us have an idea what were doing, the other lad is useless tbh :p:p

Were level 16 and 14 and loving it :D:D

I dont think ive enjoyed a game as much in ages :rolleyes:

I had a big smile on my face when i came to the Prancing Pony Inn
    And then in the Old Forest when the trees started chasing us..i was laughin my head off :D

We did a Epic Quest last night for Tom Bombadil in the forest, and jesus, it was excellent, 6 of us in this dungeon mullering everything...very tense stuff ..but i loved it, chasing the ol Witch King

Maybe i enjoy it more as i havent played wow, so cant compare it to it in that respect, but for me...i love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Dcully wrote:
    Well i had intended cancelling wow at end of current month but im keeping subs for it.
    Lotro is far from wow tbh imo.

... and thats a bad thing?

WoW is the McDonalds of MMO's, there is basically one thing to do in that game, kill (something or someone).

In WoW, you are either killing something, trying to kill something, killing stuff to get you better gear so you can kill stuff, farming so you can make gear or pots to kill stuff, grinding rep so you can kill different stuff, and all this while listening to 14-year olds screaming in every chatchannel there is.

Not saying WoW was bad when it first came, I had my share of fun when we were trying to clear MC / BWL / AQ40 / Naxx, and even after TBC, clearing Karazan the first time was fun and downing Gruul was a nice feeling.
    However, before I left, my guild cleared karazan in less than four hours, gruul was on farm, the gear sucked compared to heroic drops / quest rewards / crafted items, and clearing serpentshrine means going back to the daily raiding / farming, but this time around, the gear you get is hardly worth it.

TBC is the worst attempt at an expansion I have ever seen, how is repgrinding "casual friendly"... its stupid!

LOTRO is a very good game, not sure how it is at level 50, but at level 20 im having a blast doing group quests and instances. If I dont feel like doing much ill practise playing some music or farm some weed and sit down and have a puff or two. Also, they are introducing player housing in the june patch. Point beeing, there are other things to do in LOTRO apart from endlessly grinding, and the game is really fun, and the absolutely best part is that the 14-year olds seems to have stuck with WoW.

Thing about WoW is that you just have to let it go, dont log in for two weeks and I bet you will hate is as much as I do when you log back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Gone back to wow, game is NO where near completion & I don't see the point in playing this when wOL will be out when this will probs just about get decent, if it ever does....its far in a way NOTHING on wow.

Back to end game raiding on my BE pretendadon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 I8poop4U

Cant log in again. Its even telling me i don't have a valid subscription. This really is becoming a joke now.

... and thats a bad thing?

WoW is the McDonalds of MMO's, there is basically one thing to do in that game, kill (something or someone).

In WoW, you are either killing something, trying to kill something, killing stuff to get you better gear so you can kill stuff, farming so you can make gear or pots to kill stuff, grinding rep so you can kill different stuff, and all this while listening to 14-year olds screaming in every chatchannel there is.

Not saying WoW was bad when it first came, I had my share of fun when we were trying to clear MC / BWL / AQ40 / Naxx, and even after TBC, clearing Karazan the first time was fun and downing Gruul was a nice feeling.
    However, before I left, my guild cleared karazan in less than four hours, gruul was on farm, the gear sucked compared to heroic drops / quest rewards / crafted items, and clearing serpentshrine means going back to the daily raiding / farming, but this time around, the gear you get is hardly worth it.

TBC is the worst attempt at an expansion I have ever seen, how is repgrinding "casual friendly"... its stupid!

LOTRO is a very good game, not sure how it is at level 50, but at level 20 im having a blast doing group quests and instances. If I dont feel like doing much ill practise playing some music or farm some weed and sit down and have a puff or two. Also, they are introducing player housing in the june patch. Point beeing, there are other things to do in LOTRO apart from endlessly grinding, and the game is really fun, and the absolutely best part is that the 14-year olds seems to have stuck with WoW.

Thing about WoW is that you just have to let it go, dont log in for two weeks and I bet you will hate is as much as I do when you log back in.

Well thats all down to a matter of opinion.
    I personally think the most important element for a fun MMO is the combat system,to me Wows is perfect where as LOTROs just doesnt feel right.
    WOW never felt like a grind to me.
    Ive not logged into wow for bigger periods than 2 weeks in the past and i still enjoy it when i came back each time.
    As far as 14 year olds go,again thats down to each ones experiences,i personally have not found this an issue at all.
    Im in a guild that is strictly no kids and all the better for it.
    As far as TBC is concerned as an expansion i think its excellent,i really enjoy the 5 man instances.

LOTRO to me is far from finished as has been said here,the main mechanics of the game just feel all wrong to me.
    Maybe in the future it will feel right but for now its some way from wow IMO,still a good game that i continue to play in the hope ill get to enjoy it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Dcully wrote:
    Well thats all down to a matter of opinion.
    I personally think the most important element for a fun MMO is the combat system,to me Wows is perfect where as LOTROs just doesnt feel right.
    WOW never felt like a grind to me.
    Ive not logged into wow for bigger periods than 2 weeks in the past and i still enjoy it when i came back each time.
    As far as 14 year olds go,again thats down to each ones experiences,i personally have not found this an issue at all.
    Im in a guild that is strictly no kids and all the better for it.
    As far as TBC is concerned as an expansion i think its excellent,i really enjoy the 5 man instances.

LOTRO to me is far from finished as has been said here,the main mechanics of the game just feel all wrong to me.
    Maybe in the future it will feel right but for now its some way from wow IMO,still a good game that i continue to play in the hope ill get to enjoy it more.

Well, the best MMO I have ever had the pleasure of playing was SWG pre-pub9, and until the CU it was still the best MMO out there.

What I learned in SWG was that there is more to an MMO (for me) then just killing things and being completely focused on gear, which is WoW in a nutshell.

I played WoW pretty hardcore, I was in two of the best raiding guilds on my server, but I only played it since SOE completely and utterly destroyed SWG, and there was no real alternative to WoW. Tried EQ2, nice game and all but well, felt "dead". Tried D&D Online but that one sucked pretty bad too, and DnL, well, not sure it qualifies for the name "game".

LOTRO to me feels like a game that can last a while. The patches that are coming look awesome, they have a plan for the future and overall, it seems like a very good game, with a social element that is lacking 100% from WoW.

Oh, and the grind, you simply cannot do any high-end instance in WoW if you don't grind the rep, and to join any good end-game raiding guild you pretty much need _all_ heroic keys.

Anyways, different people have different opinions, just don't give up on LOTRO because it's different from WoW, as different isn't always bad.

• Advertisement

Not much seems to be happening with the old boards guild..

I was on for a good chunk of time yesterday and didn't come across anyone else.

Server down again...wooohoo :confused::confused:

This is beginning to ge to me now

Every 2 days it seems like:(

The lack of a site for the guild does hinder it somewhat.
    Perhaps once we get a lotr:o sub-forum (it will I'm sure happen, we just need to keep reminding the admins :) ) we can co-ordinate things better.

If it would help we can create a forum for the guild on darkkeep if people want a home. I'm assuming everyone is on snow now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 I8poop4U

Just seen this

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...ad.php?t=180644

Hello everyone,

We'd like to give you an update on the recent events concerning the technical issues experienced with LOTRO.

The problem is with our Billing system and specifically the integration code between LOTRO and this system which is unable to process fast enough at high volumes and then starts back loading requests resulting in a huge numbers of retries.

A number of changes to the systems have been made to try and help with this, and additional servers are already in place, but the problem is not one with server hardware currently. We have already doubled the number of login and integration servers in recent days.

The main issue occurs when over-whelming demand and load hits the login servers (usually at peak times) and creates a bottleneck in the authentication process. The knock on effect to this is the system becomes very slow and to all intents and purposes to you, the players, it looks like it is completely offline.

When this happens, people *are* able to login, albeit very slowly. As more of you refresh and try to login, each new request you send through actually compounds the situation making it worse, hence why we asked that you wait some 20 minutes between each re-attempt.

It actually works out faster for you to get in-game in the long run if you try to login fewer times.

It’s important to emphasise that this issue is a code performance issue associated with the integration between the game and billing system and not a hardware issue. Unfortunately adding new servers (which we have already done in great volume), will not fix this particular problem. Therefore we are currently working to resolve the code issue that is affecting us.

All of these systems were intensively tested during our BETA stress tests with thousands of players simultaneously accessing the service, however we did not see people on the scale that we are seeing them today. The immense popularity of the game has brought numbers to the game that cause these issues to now manifest themselves and affect us.

It is also important to point out that the previous issues experienced last week have been completely resolved and the issues experienced recently are new and as described above to do with the code integration between the game and billing system and not a hardware issue.

We are working around the clock to fix these problems - in the last week we have made good progress however we have identified an area that requires further work. Teams will be on site throughout the next few days and over the weekend to bring the resolution to light as soon as possible.

Due to the work they will be carrying out over the next few days, we would like to advise you that there might be further interruptions to the service, which we will do our best to minimise as much as possible.

We obviously regret that there have been any disruptions to your play time - it's a shame to mar what was otherwise one of the smoothest launches ever seen. We want to make amends and get it right as soon as we possibly can. We will be arranging appropriate compensation for all players as our way of apologising for the outages and to say that we do care, we are committed to perfecting the service and to thank you for your support and understanding. Full details of that will be released some time next week.

We're confident that once we're over this initial teething problem that your service will get back to the levels of quality and availability that you expect and deserve.

Thank you.

The LOTRO Team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

What a load of bull****.

The US servers have none of the problems the EU ones do with the login issue's. Codemaster's are just being there usual retarded selves just like were with D&DO.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Not much seems to be happening with the old boards guild..

Seem to have been kicked out of the kinship! I was there at the start when it was first created but think it had too few members and was scrapped. Invite me again. User name: Blister. Should be on around 10 tomorrow.

Hmm, not sure why that happened. I'll try to get on tonight and tomorrow and add anyone who wants in. The kinship wasn't scrapped, so it must be something on codemasters end.

com-pen-sation :cool:

Hope i get something nice

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Hey just giving the 10 day trial a whizz and if i like i'll buy, but if anyone is on tonight, my name is Ezekial.

I'm on the snowbourne server.

• Advertisement

humanji, can you give me a rank in the kinship that will allow me to recruit other boardsies? I seem to be online a good bit more.

I'm Mongoling in LOTRO.

Advertisement