Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Intercity Train Fleet on show this Monday in Limerick.

Options
  • 28-04-2007 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭

The New 22000 class intercity trains will be on show at Colbert Station this Monday from 7am until 5pm. Just thought I'd let people know if they haven't already heard it on the radio.
    This fleet will be used on the new Galway - Limerick line when it opens in 2008.
    Does anyone plan on going (perhaps with a camera) to check them out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Will they alos be releasing details of what stations on the route are being reopened.

I'd like to see Limerick Sixmilebridge, Ennis, Gort, Athenry, Galway but that's just off the top of my head, I don't know if it would be possible. A nonstop direct train for every 2 that stopped on the way, again probably not feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Always irritated me that there was not (during my lifetime!) a Limerick-Galway rail service as I frequently commuted between the two. How likely is it that this project will become a reality?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It's Concrete, 110% happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

about 15 years too late

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

The New 22000 class intercity trains will be on show at Colbert Station this Monday from 7am until 5pm.

Do they expect people to take a day off if they are interested to see that train? Coincidently i have to work until 5 as many others do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like more pre election hype by the Government to me. I bet Willie O'Dea will turn up for the photo shoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I'd like to see Limerick Sixmilebridge, Ennis, Gort, Athenry, Galway but that's just off the top of my head

Did I hear in the last couple of days that it has been agreed that Sixmilebridge station is to be reopened? ...... :confused:

The original station opened around 1859 and closed a 100 years or so later in 1963 .... :rolleyes:

If you want to see just how elaborate the original rail network was have a look at this station list and see just how many stations were closed down .... :(

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:jJUoIc5_FR4J:www.railscot.co.uk/Ireland/Irish_railways.pdf+sixmilebridge+railway+station+closure&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

the train has been parked up in Limerick junction for months and despite super trains it takes longer to get to dublin now by train then it did ten yrs ago

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

steveon wrote:
    the train has been parked up in Limerick junction for months and despite super trains it takes longer to get to dublin now by train then it did ten yrs ago

That's mostly because the train has to stop at more commuter towns and villages on the way to Dublin than before (unless you get the direct Limerick to Dublin train).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

hobie wrote:
    Did I hear in the last couple of days that it has been agreed that Sixmilebridge station is to be reopened? ...... :confused:

The original station opened around 1859 and closed a 100 years or so later in 1963 .... :rolleyes:

If you want to see just how elaborate the original rail network was have a look at this station list and see just how many stations were closed down .... :(

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:jJUoIc5_FR4J:www.railscot.co.uk/Ireland/Irish_railways.pdf+sixmilebridge+railway+station+closure&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=ie
    Wow I knew there was a lot of stations but thats amazing
    ireland really had the best train system in the world back then for a country with such a small population
    You'd wonder how they ever made a profit of some of the stations

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

1huge1 wrote:
    Wow I knew there was a lot of stations but thats amazing
    ireland really had the best train system in the world back then for a country with such a small population
    You'd wonder how they ever made a profit of some of the stations
    actually Ireland had a population of around 9 million back when they were first built which was pre famine of corse, id love to know what that number would be if they all stayed!

from what i seen of the dates they were pretty much all built after the famine but I see your point as the population declined for over 100 years
    either way the population may of halfed but the amount of train stations isnt even 10% of what it was

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

If it is allowed I will see if i can get photos tomorrow. would be interested to see them.

Sound Man Squid! I can't make it but would love to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Thanks alot. :D Where would be without the Limerick Blogger (Billy the Squid) eh?

ya thanks billy

Advertisement