Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Broadband UK wins technology-neutral 1800 MHz license

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

They paid €205,000 for the license.

They were awarded it for 15 years too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

A little more on it here.http://www.rte.ie/business/2007/0427/comreg.html
    The auction was the first in a two-part process involving a joint approach to licensing with the UK regulator Ofcom.

Maybe its an arm of an already established company because roll out to the Uk and Ireland would not be very cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

damien.m wrote:
    They were awarded it for 15 years too?

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Same Spectrum for same use in N.I. but a separate auction. I'm not sure if this makes them "preferred" in the NI auction. The original proposals for all thiswas very confusing, like they wanted one cross border operator but couldn't agree on a single auction.

Rollout would be 60M to 300M depending on technology & coverage.

I think they are fans of iBurst and WiMax. iBurst is not doing well. Mobile WiMax is still in development and will initialy only be on 3500MHz.

(Fixed Wimax is available).

I'm curious as to what they will do. The licence went cheaper than I thought. The frequncy makes devices expensive and coverage poor compared with 870MHz or 900MHz systems. However the licence went a lot cheaper than I thought it would. Perhaps indicates the "Big" players see difficulties in implementation? Based on other peoples experiences I could see it being 2009 or 2010 before significant rollout has occurred. If at all. They probably now need to raise finance.

This is whu EU proposes to recycle 900MHz GSM as 3G/HSDPA as the current 3G frequencies are not great.

They wanted to do it as one auction, but I believe that would have been unconstitutional, so now the co-operation is on paper only. At least officially.

• Advertisement

Personal Broadband Australia also use iBurst.

Advertisement