Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should atheism be suppressed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Okay I thought this was somewhat uncalled for. I'm aware there's a history here, but lets try to stay on topic.

Behind all this there's a good thread going on. Neither myself nor the other users want to have to wade through it to find it - so lets all (PDN and TR) press our 'reset' buttons and address a relevant point.

I'll have this standing by.

580.gif

I apologise for overstepping the mark and will take my rebuke without complaint.

My sense of humour does get me into trouble at times. I will endeavour to keep on subject.

PDN wrote:
    Most atheists still retain a large amount of moralism that is inherited from theism.
    That's a ridiculous statement. I for one, certainly didn't inherit the morals of the crusades, the inquisition, the morals of the OT. My morals certainly didn't derive from the maxim that people can suffer external torment after death.

OK, on the advice of the moderators I should not respond to the morals that you personally have inherited. I have no wish for the Atheist to throw his bucket of water over me, so let's look at your argument.

First off, you reduce all theistic morality to the crusades, the inquisition, and the morals of the OT. But I can immediately think of one obvious area where most atheists' morality (I can't, obviously, say if you are one of them) was derived from the maxim that people can suffer external torment after death.

As the Church gained power and became allied with the State (a most regrettable development, IMHO) theologians struggled with the Church's involvement in war. How did this square with the commandment not to kill. Were Christian leaders and soldiers going to suffer hellfire for the blood they shed on the battlefield? Some Kings would delay baptism until they were on their deathbed, believing that otherwise their post-baptismal sin of shedding blood in war would condemn them to an eternity in hell or an age in purgatory.

Therefore Augustine formulated the idea of a 'just war'. This was refined by Thomas Aquinas. He determined, on purely theological grounds, the kind of war in which church members could engage without incurring damnation (please note that I am describing a historical process, not necessarily agreeing with what these people thought or did. The first Christians were actually pacifists). Here are Aquinas' six criteria for a 'just war'.
    1. War must be declared for a just cause.
    2. War must be fought with a good intention.
    3. There must be a reasonable expectation that more good than evil will result.
    4. War must be waged by proportionate means (avoiding, as far as possible, civilian casualties).
    5. War must be the last resort after exhausting other options.
    6. War must be declared and fought by a legitimate authority.

Now, think about every debate you have ever heard about the American invasion of Iraq. Almost every point of argument (apart from a position of complete pacifism), by atheists or atheists alike, rests upon Aquinas' six hell-avoiding criteria.
    "Were there WMDs?" (points 1 & 3)
    "Hans Blix should have been given more time" (point 5)
    "Surely it's a good thing that Saddam is gone?" (points 2 and 3)
    "But more people have died now than would have under Saddam" (point 3)
    "The Americans used cluster bombs" (point 4)
    "The invasion was illegal" (point 6)
    "It was all about oil" (point 2)

In fact Aquinas' six points, formed purely from a desire to avoid condemning 'Christian' soldiers to hell, have been incorporated wholesale and uncritically into the Geneva Convention and form the basis for much of the deliberations in the UN. It is a crystal clear example of atheists inheriting morality from theism - morality that was clearly derived from the maxim that people can suffer external torment after death.

This is not unique. History contains many more such examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

PDN wrote:

The mistake you are making is asserting that these morality lessons originated from your religion. As I've said before, its actually the other way around. You need to go back further, and you will see that the morality lessons you talk about already existed long before your religion got started. Musings over what is a "just war" can be found in Roman debates and Chinese philosophy, all predating the New Testament by hundreds of years. Humans were thinking about what is considered a just war long before Jesus showed up

Augustine and Aquinas in fact had to go far afield to the pagan Romans and Greeks to find a large part of the morality and reason to embed in Christianity to give it any form of workable foundation.

The fact that this happened raises the question where did the morality come from, the Bible or the pagan religions that pre-dated the Bible?

The answer is both. As ever religion is formed around morality, not the other way around. The reason an atheists can agree with a lot of what theists consider morality unique to their religion is because the morality that underpins the religion is separate from the religion itself. This is why very different religions (eg the Pagan Greeks and Christians) can share very similar moral teachings.

The religion does not produce the morality, the morality produces the religion. And morality is a product of humanity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

PDN wrote:
    First off, you reduce all theistic morality to the crusades, the inquisition, and the morals of the OT.
    You accuse me of reducing well that is what your argument is doing.
    But I can immediately think of one obvious area where most atheists' morality (I can't, obviously, say if you are one of them) was derived from the maxim that people can suffer external torment after death.
    Au contraire, atheists don't have any notions about sentience or life after death but let's see what you are arguing and if you can show a moral being derived.
    As the Church gained power and became allied with the State (a most regrettable development, IMHO) theologians struggled with the Church's involvement in war. How did this square with the commandment not to kill. Were Christian leaders and soldiers going to suffer hellfire for the blood they shed on the battlefield? Some Kings would delay baptism until they were on their deathbed, believing that otherwise their post-baptismal sin of shedding blood in war would condemn them to an eternity in hell or an age in purgatory.

Therefore Augustine formulated the idea of a 'just war'. This was refined by Thomas Aquinas. He determined, on purely theological grounds, the kind of war in which church members could engage without incurring damnation (please note that I am describing a historical process, not necessarily agreeing with what these people thought or did. The first Christians were actually pacifists). Here are Aquinas' six criteria for a 'just war'.
    4. War must be waged by proportionate means (avoiding, as far as possible, civilian casualties).

Now, think about every debate you have ever heard about the American invasion of Iraq. Almost every point of argument (apart from a position of complete pacifism), by atheists or atheists alike, rests upon Aquinas' six hell-avoiding criteria.

In fact Aquinas' six points, formed purely from a desire to avoid condemning 'Christian' soldiers to hell, have been incorporated wholesale and uncritically into the Geneva Convention and form the basis for much of the deliberations in the UN. It is a crystal clear example of atheists inheriting morality from theism - morality that was clearly derived from the maxim that people can suffer external torment after death.
    No morality is a derivative of natural selection. A lot species have an increased probability of surviving if they work in groups. Group playing and organisation is a good thing and increases survival chance. Altruism is a derivative of this.
    The Golden Rule, is in most major cultures and derived before Christianity, originally in Confucius. This would be evidence of our species developing a sophisticated concept of morality that is not particular to one culture or an arbitary theology.

Now you also cherry pick Augustine focussing only on his "Just War".
    What about his morals on sex? Are you seriously trying to tell me atheists inherited them?
    Doubt it.

Furthermore, if you are going to look at international aggrements, why not check the UN definition of genocide:

"any of the following acts committed with the intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group, as such:

* Killing members of the group
    * Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group
    * Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part
    * Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group
    * Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group"

According to this God seems to have committed genocide several times in the Bible. It is therefore hard to argue we inherited the moral concept "genocide is bad" from theology or from abrhamic theology.

You reference to Iraq is even more chilling.
    George's "inherited" rhetoric
    "You are either with us or against us", certainly would suggest to me, we continue to challenge all dogmatic, theological and Christian morals be inherited or not.
    Counter examples would suggest your hypotheisis should be refined to something like:
    "perhaps some morals have been inherited from theology".

PDN wrote:
    First off, you reduce all theistic morality to the crusades, the inquisition, and the morals of the OT.
    You accuse me of reducing well that is what your argument is doing.
    But I can immediately think of one obvious area where most atheists' morality (I can't, obviously, say if you are one of them) was derived from the maxim that people can suffer external torment after death.
    Au contraire, atheists don't have any nothings about after death but let's see what you are arguing was derived.

No morality is a derivative of natural selection. A lot species have an increased probability of surviving if the work in groups. Group playing is a good thing. Altruism is a derivative of this.
    The Golden Rule, is in most major cultures and derived before Christianity, originally in Confucius. This would be evidence of our species developing a sophisticated concept of morality that is particular to one culture or arbitary theology.

What about his morals on sex? Are you seriously trying to tell me atheists inherited them?

Furthermore, if you are going to look at international aggrements, why not check the UN definition of genocide:

"any of the following acts committed with the intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group, as such:

* Killing members of the group
    * Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group
    * Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part
    * Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group
    * Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group"

According to this God seems to have committed genocide several times in the Bible. It is therefore hard to argue we inherited the moral concept "genocide is bad" from theology or from abrhamic theology.

You reference to Iraq is chilling.
    "You are either with us or against us", certainly would suggest to me, we challenge all dogma, theological or Christian morals be inherited or not.
    Counter examples would suggest your hypotheisis should refined to something like:
    "perhaps some morals have been inherited from theology".

• Advertisement

Doubt it.
    :rolleyes: I am showing you an example of how theistic morality is inherited by atheists. I am not endorsing everything Augustine taught, because much of what he taught is nonsense. Therefore trying to bring Augustine's views on sex into this discussion is nothing but a red herring.

Again, another very heavy-handed red herring. This is totally irrelevant to the issue of whether atheists have inherited the principle of the just war from theism.
    Could you please show where I have argued that? That makes three red herrings in one post.
    You reference to Iraq is chilling.
    "You are either with us or against us", certainly would suggest to me, we challenge all dogma, theological or Christian morals be inherited or not.
    My reference to Iraq is a practical example of how we apply ethics derived from theism to modern problems - something that happens in ethics classes every day of the week. As such it is only chilling if you somehow believe that Christians have no right to discuss such issues. As for George Bush's rhetoric - again it is totally unconnected with my point that the just war theory was derived from theistic morality. Four red herrings.

To produce four red herrings in one post is bad enough. To then post twice, making eight red herrings, is astounding.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Rather than counting fish, I wonder are there stats breaking down the religious/non-religious support for the US war in the Middle East...

Wicknight wrote:
    The mistake you are making is asserting that these morality lessons originated from your religion.

No, I am asserting that these morality lessons were inherited from theistic moralism. I certainly make no claim of Augustine or Aquinas being totally original in thinking along these lines. That is your assumption and distortion of what I am saying.

It is historical fact that Aquinas refined his principles of the just war and it is in that same refined form that they have been incorporated into the Geneva Convention.
    Wicknight wrote:
    The fact that this happened raises the question where did the morality come from, the Bible or the pagan religions that pre-dated the Bible?

The answer is both.

Thank you! Since the pagan religions were theists, albeit of a different stripe, you are actually supporting my assertion that this morality is inherited from theism.

PDN wrote:
    No, I am asserting that these morality lessons were inherited from theistic moralism.
    Ok, maybe you should define theistic moralism, because I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean morality from God?
    PDN wrote:
    It is historical fact that Aquinas refined his principles of the just war and it is in that same refined form that they have been incorporated into the Geneva Convention.
    But none of that needs theism. this is clear by the fact that lots of different religions come up with the same moral frameworks. It clearly isn't the religion that is doing anything.

PDN wrote:
    Thank you! Since the pagan religions were theists, albeit of a different stripe, you are actually supporting my assertion that this morality is inherited from theism.

But you are ignoring that they are all different theists following very different religions. Clearly it isn't the religion itself that is making these moral possible.

I'm reminded of the classic Simpsons episode with the Bear Patrol

Homer: Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a
    charm.
    Lisa: That's spacious reasoning, Dad.
    Homer: Thank you, dear.
    Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.
    Homer: Oh, how does it work?
    Lisa: It doesn't work.
    Homer: Uh-huh.
    Lisa: It's just a stupid rock.
    Homer: Uh-huh.
    Lisa: But I don't see any tigers around, do you?
    [Homer thinks of this, then pulls out some money]
    Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock.

:D

You are saying that these moral frameworks came about by people who were theists. Therefore they must be theists moral frameworks. But just like Lisa's tiger rock, that is simply linking two things and assuming that one is leading to the other, when in fact they aren't. This is possible to see by the fact that all the different theists religions come up with similar ideas, so clearly their particular brand of theism isn't doing anything unique.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Wicknight wrote:
    But you are ignoring that they are all different theists following very different religions. Clearly it isn't the religion itself that is making these moral possible.
    I concur. If morality is inherited from any number of religions - all of which (or 99.9% in the case for Christians) were created by man - then man must be the source of morality.

• Advertisement

PDN wrote:
    Could you please show where I have argued that? That makes three red herrings in one post.

My reference to Iraq is a practical example of how we apply ethics derived from theism to modern problems - something that happens in ethics classes every day of the week. As such it is only chilling if you somehow believe that Christians have no right to discuss such issues. As for George Bush's rhetoric - again it is totally unconnected with my point that the just war theory was derived from theistic morality. Four red herrings.

To produce four red herrings in one post is bad enough. To then post twice, making eight red herrings, is astounding.
    Hillarious, all examples that may support (even if it is tenuous) your hypotheisis are relevant, all examples that clearly rebut it are red herrings.
    Previously, the examples of Crusades, Inquisition and the work of Luther were reducing the debate. It would appear you don't consider evidence relevant unless it is congenial to your conclusion. Sounds very dogmatic and fundamentalist if you ask me.

PDN wrote:
    Soccer was originally played by theists, did we inherit Soccer from them to?

Soccer was originally played by theists, did we inherit Soccer from them to?
    The question is "Is soccer a theist sport?"

Wicknight wrote:
    The question is "Is soccer a theist sport?"
    You certainly see a lot of soccer players and sports people still bless themselves and maybe if God didn't invent Grass we never be able to run around.
    Did you think dancing is inherited from Theology as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

PDN wrote:
    No, I am asserting that these morality lessons were inherited from theistic moralism. I certainly make no claim of Augustine or Aquinas being totally original in thinking along these lines. That is your assumption and distortion of what I am saying.

The impetus for Augustine's thinking was certainly Christian, but what in those concepts of a just war is Christian? If you are going to claim everything thought of by Christians as Christian in nature, do let us know...
    PDN wrote:

Again, were their criteria actually theistic? As the Classical Greeks believed in a rather gloomy and pointless afterlife, which was largely unavoidable in any case, it appears that they were unlikely to be motivated by the same worries you claim motivated Augustine - yet nevertheless they appear to have been motivated to consider the subject.
    PDN wrote:

Quite true. However, are you not using this historical fact to imply that Augustine's criteria are of Christian inspiration, or that the notion of a just war is Christian - neither of which are historically true.

If you are not claiming these, then all you seem to be able to state is that "Augustine was a theist, and we have our definition of a just war from him" - a rather different claim than that we "inherit our morals from theism".

Perhaps, whatever the dressing, it is a merely human thing to wish to feel justified in aggression...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Hillarious, all examples that may support (even if it is tenuous) your hypotheisis are relevant, all examples that clearly rebut it are red herrings.
    Previously, the examples of Crusades, Inquisition and the work of Luther were reducing the debate. It would appear you don't consider evidence relevant unless it is congenial to your conclusion. Sounds very dogmatic and fundamentalist if you ask me.

Let's take it slowly. How does anything that George Bush says have any bearing on the historical fact that Thomas Aquinas developed the principle of the just law, and that consequently atheists have inherited the just war concept and incororporated it into their morality?

Why does the fact that I cannot see the relevance of Bush to this point make me very dogmatic and fundamentalist?

Again, could you explain why it is "chilling" for me as a Christian (and one who opposed the American invasion of Iraq) to use that invasion as an example in a discussion on ethics. Do you find it chilling for anyone to use Iraq as an example? Or does the chill factor only apply to theists, to Christians, or to PDN alone?

Are you seriously arguing that because Augustine had some weird ideas about sex, then that must necessarily invalidate his role in developing the concept of a just war? If not, then what relevance has Augustine's teaching on sex got to do with this discussion? Does the mere mention of Augustine's name, like that of Luther, render you incapable of dealing with the issues under discussion?

Again, I have asked you to show me how I, or anyone else in this thread, has argued that the concept of genocide being bad is inherited from Abrahamic theology. So far you have not answered. Just calling my post 'Hillarious' (sic) is no substitute for rational debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭skeptic griggsy

As Dawkins advocates, we ought to push atheism. Those who wield theistic power shudder that we would speak out against their superstition and their lording over us has ended.:cool:

Scofflaw wrote:
    The impetus for Augustine's thinking was certainly Christian, but what in those concepts of a just war is Christian? If you are going to claim everything thought of by Christians as Christian in nature, do let us know...

I am not claiming the concept of the Just War as 'Christian'. Let's put my posts in the context of this thread. The OP dealt with Plato's theistic (definitely not Christian) assertion that atheism is dangerous and should be suppressed. I, with yourself and others,participated in a good natured and humorous discussion. You said that freedom from religious ethical restraints allowed scientists to conduct new forms of research and experimentation. I agreed, and rather mischeviously suggested Josef Mengele as an example. This led to another poster protesting that not many atheists would share Mengele's views on ethics. My response was of course not, since "Most atheists still retain a large amount of moralism that is inherited from theism".

This led to a 'response' that it is ridiculous to say that atheists have inherited morality from theists. Therefore I am using the Just war Theory as an example. Of course theologians loom large in the history of the just war theory, but that is no way claiming the concept as Christian. I personally disagree with much of the Just War Theory.

Does that make things clearer?

Illuminatingly,

PDN

PDN wrote:
    My response was of course not, since "Most atheists still retain a large amount of moralism that is inherited from theism".

I think the point that most people are trying to make to you is that this "moralism" wasn't actually theist.

It was simply human morality.

We didn't inherit anything from theism because it wasn't theist in the first place.

Which is where the soccer example game from. Just because Christians invented the modern game of soccer it would make little sense to say that people inherit the game from Christianity.

PDN wrote:
    I am not claiming the concept of the Just War as 'Christian'. Let's put my posts in the context of this thread. The OP dealt with Plato's theistic (definitely not Christian) assertion that atheism is dangerous and should be suppressed. I, with yourself and others,participated in a good natured and humorous discussion. You said that freedom from religious ethical restraints allowed scientists to conduct new forms of research and experimentation. I agreed, and rather mischeviously suggested Josef Mengele as an example. This led to another poster protesting that not many atheists would share Mengele's views on ethics. My response was of course not, since "Most atheists still retain a large amount of moralism that is inherited from theism".

This led to a 'response' that it is ridiculous to say that atheists have inherited morality from theists. Therefore I am using the Just war Theory as an example. Of course theologians loom large in the history of the just war theory, but that is no way claiming the concept as Christian. I personally disagree with much of the Just War Theory.

Does that make things clearer?

It clarifies, indeed - and clarification is often necessary when one argues with Tim...

One point, though - there seems to be a little bit of muddle still there:

1. "Most atheists still retain a large amount of moralism that is inherited from theism" (as argued by PDN)

2. It is ridiculous to say that atheists have inherited morality from theists (as argued by atheists)

3. Of course theologians loom large in the history of the just war theory, but that is no way claiming the concept as Christian (as stated by PDN)

What you've shown, in (3), is that (2) is not true. However, the other implication of (3) is that (1) is not the case.

So, you have shown that atheists have inherited some morality from theists, but not from theism.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

PDN wrote:
    Let's take it slowly. How does anything that George Bush says have any bearing on the historical fact that Thomas Aquinas developed the principle of the just law, and that consequently atheists have inherited the just war concept and incororporated it into their morality?
    Ok let's take it really slowly :rolleyes:
    You picked one example ("origin of Just War")which in itself is debatable. Your point was this example, in your eyes supported your hypotheisis.
    That in itself is debatable. The "just war" comes short because it fails to acknowledge relative context. A war may seem to "just" to one side, but it is usually the other way around for the other side. The Bush administration may have considered their invasion just, but that's from their relative context, did Saddam - doubt it. So there's no objectively morality here.

Furthermore, when does someone actually think they are wrong to go to war i.e. when does a statesman say, "I declare an unjust war and I / we are wrong to be fighting it, there is no justice at all in this war, but let's have it anyway".

Just war is an oxymoran. A rhetorical concept to convince people it is right to kill. Aquinas, Augustine, are contradicting their own dogma:
    "thou shalt not kill".

However the big picture (what you are missing) is that dogma, Religion, theology provides no good mechanism for resolving disagreement. There are a catalyst for war, if anything.

Science, provides the scientific method. If there is disagreement fine, find a condition where the theories differ and make different predictions and whichever one (if not both) are wrong chuck it (them) out.

Steady state V Big Bang - no war, noone gets killed, disagreement resolved.
    Newton's gravity V Einsteins gravity - no war, noone gets killed, disagreement resolved.

It's a pity we can't say the same for:

Judaism V Chrisitianity
    Islam V Christiainity
    Catholism V Protestants

Why does the fact that I cannot see the relevance of Bush to this point make me very dogmatic and fundamentalist?
    You refuse to acknowledge all the examples I gave and appear to disregard any evidence that refutes your hypotheisis. Now your hyptheisis is "athesim inherit morals from theology" - ok I have been disputing this. I give an example to refute it and then you retort, how does that refute the "just war" argument. they are actually refuting your hypotheisis not your "just war" argument.
    It seems, you are fundamentally and dogmatically bound to your hypotheisis, contradictory evidence, logic are irrelevant.
    Again, could you explain why it is "chilling" for me as a Christian (and one who opposed the American invasion of Iraq) to use that invasion as an example in a discussion on ethics. Do you find it chilling for anyone to use Iraq as an example? Or does the chill factor only apply to theists, to Christians, or to PDN alone?
    Because you are missing the point about Iraq.
    The Bush administration has huge support from fundamental and evangelical Christians many of whom think the world was made in 6 days, the second coming is only 50 years away. The absence of rational enquiry has helped the administration get away with that they did. This idiot Bush, thinks he has a hotline to God, and receives huge support from right wing Christians, Jews and Neo cons.
    If anything Iraq is another example where dogma, theology and religion have humanity a grave disservice.
    Are you seriously arguing that because Augustine had some weird ideas about sex, then that must necessarily invalidate his role in developing the concept of a just war? If not, then what relevance has Augustine's teaching on sex got to do with this discussion?
    No, because it refutes your hypotheisis of atheist inheriting morals from theology. can you not admit that?
    Does the mere mention of Augustine's name, like that of Luther, render you incapable of dealing with the issues under discussion?
    What type of silly rherotic is this? What do you think I have been doing singing or dancing - no I have been discussing.
    Again, I have asked you to show me how I, or anyone else in this thread, has argued that the concept of genocide being bad is inherited from Abrahamic theology. So far you have not answered. Just calling my post 'Hillarious' (sic) is no substitute for rational debate.
    My point exactly, it's not inherited from Abrahamic theology which again refutes your hypotheis, atheism inherits moral from theology.

My point exactly, it's not inherited from Abrahamic theology which again refutes your hypotheis, atheism inherits moral from theology.

One counter-example is totally insufficient to refute PDN's hypothesis, because PDN didn't claim that "atheism inherits all its morality from theism".

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote:
    One counter-example is totally insufficient to refute PDN's hypothesis, because PDN didn't claim that "atheism inherits all its morality from theism".

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    Nore did he claim:

"atheism inherits some of its morality from theism".

Maybe PDN culd clarify?
    Either way, several ,not one, counter examples were provided.
    I also suggested he refined the hypotheis in my previous thread (posted at 9.45):
    "Counter examples would suggest your hypotheisis should be refined to something like:
    "perhaps some morals have been inherited from theology"."
    He didn't so I assume he was arguing all morals, maybe it would fairer if we let PDN clarify what he means i.e how much morality he thinks has been inherited from theism to atheism?
    If there is a misunderstanding, it's a pointless debate.

Nore did he claim:

"atheism inherits some of its morality from theism".

Maybe PDN culd clarify?

Certainly one would require that point clarified before one could claim a refutation.
    Either way, several ,not one, counter examples were provided.

That is still insufficient if his claim is not "all".
    He didn't so I assume he was arguing all morals, maybe it would fairer if we let PDN clarify what he means i.e how much morality he thinks has been inherited from theism to atheism?
    If there is a misunderstanding, it's a pointless debate.

Yes it would.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote:
    So, you have shown that atheists have inherited some morality from theists, but not from theism.

I think that sums it up nicely

Scofflaw wrote:
    It clarifies, indeed - and clarification is often necessary when one argues with Tim...
    I think he was replying and clarfying for you that time, Fatso.

I think he was replying and clarfying for you that time, Fatso.

I know.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

Judaism V Chrisitianity
    Islam V Christiainity
    Catholism V Protestants

There are many, MANY underlying social and political factors in basically all of the [religion A] v [religion b] match-ups that I can think of.
    Reducing it to [religion A] v [religion b] is like reducing einsein's gravity to "curvy things happen".

There are many, MANY underlying social and political factors in basically all of the [religion A] v [religion b] match-ups that I can think of.
    Reducing it to [religion A] v [religion b] is like reducing einsein's gravity to "curvy things happen".
    I am not trying to blame religion for all wars, but I am suggesting it has contributed to the causes of several wars.
    In particular, the two facets of religion as I see as very dangerous are:
    * Indoctrination
    * Not having a agreeable process for resolving disagreement like the scientific method.

Obviously the philosophy of loving thy neighbour is never going to cause a war. The factors that contribute to any war have to analysed so that we humans learn from our mistakes. It would be a good thing if Religion for example got rid of indoctrination but this would probably be a threat to it's survival.
    Outside religion, there are many other reasons for war, I fully agree with that.
    But we are going off topic, let's let PDN come back and see if he will clarify his hypotheisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

If the two opposing side in the north had not been able to label themselves protestant and catholic, would the troubles have persisted for as long as they did?

Advertisement