Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody know where to get Tamarind sauce?

• 28-04-2007 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi Folks

has anyone ever come across tamarind sauce? :confused: It is a nutty sauce used in Thai satay recipes. If you found it in the Asia Market on Drury St. or the Oriental Emporium on Georges St. could you tell me whereabouts in the store, I have looked everywhere.

What I have found is a block of taramind. It has the consistency of fudge. Does anybody know how to make a sauce form this?

Thanks to anyone who gets back to me with any info.

Kind Regards
    Dakan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've never heard of tamarind sauce as such. Tamarind block is a compressed block of tamarind pulp, seeds and all. Normally what you do, for Indian recipes that use tamarind in any case, is to tear off a lump and let it sit in a little hot water for a while to reconstitute it, squidge it around a bit and then strain off the juice. Many recipes that use it say to use lemon juice if you can't get it. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Tamarind is fruitier than lemon juice though. Yeah, as alun says, reconstitute the fudgey block with a little warm water and make a paste of it. It's a fantastic marinade for meat.

I wouldn't have described it as 'nutty' at all - that's satay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

they sell it in a small plastic jar in but its called "tamarind concentrate" and its in liquid form and it does the job, they shoul dhave it in one of the 2 shops mentioned. Ask the shop staff to help u, some of them are useless of course and if so just ask others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

dakan wrote:
    It is a nutty sauce

As others have said, tamarind definitely isn't 'nutty'. It's strong sharp and sour, an essential ingredient of many Indian dishes like the sour sauce for bhel pooris.

The concentrate is the way to go as opposed to the compressed pulp. Just dilute it with water and there's your sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭dakan

Found the paste in the Oriental Emporium on Georges St. I thought it was nutty in that it is what makes satay 'nutty' without the peanut butter. Anyway the recipe worked well.

For anyone interested, I got the recipe from my visit to Baipai the last time I was in Bangkok. Would definitely recommend a visit if anyone is ever over there.

Cheers
    Dakan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Harvey Nichols Foodmarket, Dundrum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I saw it in Tesco out in Ballybrack last night!

I heard Dunnes in the green is great for 'ethnic' foods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I got some Tamarind in the Jervis street Asian Food store (at the Luas stop). Its
    in a blue capped plastic jar and located near the sauces isle strangely enough. Hope that helps, I love that stuff......especially Tamarind Duck.....awesome.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Tesco in Wicklow do it in paste form.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Tesco should stock the Bart's variety - a small jar in the spice section

• Advertisement
Advertisement