Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottie dog in need of attention!!!

Options
  • 28-04-2007 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Ok... I have an eight month old Scottie, and have tried to research how to groom him so he doesn't get overly hot during the summer months, some web sites refer to this as "stripping" so that his features are more pronounced.

I would like to know if any of you wonderful people out there can give me a little advice on how to do this, because there are no professional dog groomers in my area, and would like to know how to do it myself!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You can give him a "haircut" yourself ...with clippers or even with scissors.

Also, a little rake like thing with curved blades called "coat king" is great for stripping out the undercoat and loose hair and lightening the coat altogether.

If, on the other hand, you want him to look like a Scottie and not a shorn sheep :D , maybe ask the breeders club for a recommendation.

Not everybody can clip a Scotty to standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 miss_sunshine

Thank you for your reply,

Do you know where coat kings can be found? It sounds just what I'm looking for, I have a metal comb, but it just doesn't do the trick, do you know if its easy to use?
    Thanks again....

We got ours online ...straight from the manufacturers

http://www.mars-solingen.com/index_en.html

Thanks again, you have been really helpful, they look like a scary piece of equipment, but it looks like they do the job... Do you have a scottie aswell?

Nope ...Bearded Collie and OES mix (and a little terrier ...but all she needs is a rubber brush :D )

Just go easy with the coat king. Once every two - three weeks is plenty.
    The little blades on it cut and remove dead and matted hair ...but if there is no dead or matted hair left, they will remove anything that's left :D .

So it's not for daily brushing ...but absolutely brilliant to keep your dogs' coat light and fluffy rather than heavy, dank and matted.

• Advertisement

I think its just what I'm looking for and will really help, all I need now is a picture to work from, and I think the IKC will have one of those, so its all good... I think also with scotties you can shave them with an electric razor to make their features stand out! I will definately order one of those Coat Kings, its worth a try and if I make an arse of it, its not gonna be too long before it grows back......... Hopefully;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

What county are you in, sometimes there are mobile dog groomers who will pick up and drop off your dog.

Advertisement